What's new

What remote do you use? (1 Viewer)

Richard_T

Second Unit
My Marantz rc-2000 MKII has been at my side for 2 years and has served me very well. It has learned everything I've thrown at it and the back light is excelent. The only thing is it can be a bit front heavy and it's a bit of a battery hog if you use the light alot. An excelent remote!
------------------
Please visit my site at http://rickshometheater.homestead.com/HomePage.html

Seth

Agent
I use a Marantz RC-18SR. I like it better then the Pronto, because I can do everything faster with it. Theres nothing better then real buttons. Though it doesn't have all the features of a Pronto. If you want all the features get a Pronto, but you will sacrifice speed.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another Marantz RC2000MKII user here. Mine is two years old, and I am still very happy with the remote. It handles every component, so all my original remotes are stored away. Even my wife can deal with it (I setup a couple of macros to turn the system on/off and switch between TV and DVD viewing via a single button).
If you are on a budget, the OneForAll Cinema 7 (or Radio Shack equivalent) is a great remote. I have one for our bedroom system, and am amazed at what this remote can do for $25. The downside is you cannot label the keys, and it is very cumbersome to setup (the manual is useless, but there is lots of good info on the Internet to unlock the power packed into this device).
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Sony AV-2100. Plenty of features. Maybe not as feature rich as the Pronto but its 1/3 the cost.
Kevin

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I use the Pronto as my "remote"
IMO I hate the word "remote" to descirbe what my pronto does for me and my wife. I've had various other remotes that are more typical of what a tradition model does ie it replaces the more common functions of the OEM remotes into one single unit. For this they work great. The problem I had was that they were never intuitive enough for people other then myself to really use my HT system. It wasn't unitl I got the pronto that I was able to program my "remote" to do what I wanted. By this I mean it is a system integrator that runs my HT from a press of a single meaningful button. Now I don't get calls at work saying that the TV's on but there's no image or the sound coming out of the speakers doens't match whats on TV etc. For my needs there isn't an alternative at present that does what I need other then the various pronto's (and their kin) I couldn't imagine running my CD mega changer with out the pronto.
sorry for the rant but I'm a true pronto zealot that loves the fact that the only thing limiting the pronto is my imagination :) I guess thats why I got into doing custom programming for people LOL
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi
[Edited last by Andrew Pratt on July 16, 2001 at 02:24 PM]

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still using the learning remote that came with my Yamaha HTR-5280. Pain in the butt, to say the least.
I've been eyeing the Universal Home Theater Master MX500 (I'm thinking that an LCD touchscreen remote might confuse others in the apartment) for quite some time, but here's my dilemma:
I can get the Sony AV-2100 for like $85 with my employee discount at work, but the MX500 I would have to pay normal price for (around $150). What do you guys think I should do?
------------------

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I may be a bit biased, but the Home Theater Master MX-500 is the best button remote, period. (Biased, because I helped with the software feature list and implementation). It will control an extensive HT setup.
See the review of the HTM MX-500 here.
For a touchscreen remote, you can't touch (pun intended) the Pronto TSU2000, as Andrew above so wonderfully explained it.
See the review of the Pronto TSU2000 here.
For sheer price, the RadioShack 1994 is great.
IMHO.
... Greg
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to Greg, I just ordered the MX-500 remote today, hope to have it by the weekend!
------------------

Scott A.

Agent
I use one of these doo-hickeys:
Link Removed
(Sunwave SRC-2000)
It's got lots of cool features and has customizable screen layout / button size and labels. Programing's an cinch, but access to Macro's is a pain, and the touch-screen placement on the remote is a bit awkward.
All things being equal, If I were buying today I'd spend the extra cash and buy a Pronto.
my 2 cents,
S.
------------------

J

John Morris

Okay, place my poll vote in with the MX-500 crowd. Since I got it, I don't see any use for any of the other 12 remotes that I own... Hmmmm, maybe I need another MX-500?
------------------
Take Care,
merc

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in with the Pronto crowd.
Thx......Shawn
icon14.gif

If you're a touchscreen freak the Pronto is fine but if not (like me) I would go for the Marantz RC2000mkII. Personally I rather 'feel' a button when watching a movie/TV instead of searching for the touch screen buttons not mentioning if you're fingers are dirty (party)!

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
Radio Shack 15-1994
Great for something only in my hand a few seconds a day and adds absolutely nothing to the video or audio quality of my system. I can't see spending more. I got too many toys anyway.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
"Pronto. There is nothing more customizable."
I would not bet money on that one.
I use an AMX Accent 3 plus control system with color touch panel. I use a program from AMX called Access to program the unit. It has RS232/422 ports, relays, 12 contacts, IR ports and can do everything and the laundry.
wink.gif

Here are some shots of the touch panel:
http://www.homestead.com/DigitalVort...s/amxpanel.htm
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Mark_H: If you had the RC2000MKII and the HTM MX-500 together side by side, you would drop the 2000 in a second. All the great features of the 2000 and more in a much more ergonomic package.
IMHO.
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks