What's new

What receiver for JBL NSP1's (1 Viewer)

DanMU

Agent
I have my JBL NSP1 II speakers and should receive my DLS 10" powered subwoofer from Parts Express very soon. Last piece in the puzzle is my receiver. There are around 5 or so I was looking at and the Kenwood VR-6070 roze to the top by virtue of its feature set. But I just found out that this receiver has an 80 Hz crossover and I figure that might not work out well with my speakers.

I like the Kenwood because it has phono inputs (not essential, but it would be nice), pre-outs, an RF learning remote. However I'm also considering the Pioneer VSX-D811s, the Denon 883 (1803 is the same), Onkyo TX-SR600, Yamaha RX V630, and I'm open to suggestions. I'd also like my receiver to have good sensitivity for weak FM stations, but I realize that I might not get all the features I want.

My room is pretty small, so at least for now I won't need a receiver with a big punch. I realize that the 6070 is pretty powerful, but that's not the reason I prefer it (except for the possible crossover issue).

My subwoofer has these characteristics: a 12 dB electronic low pass filter that is continuously variable from 40 to 160 Hz. It also features a 6 dB high pass filter (125 Hz, 8 ohm) output for satellite speakers. Frequency response: 30-160 Hz.

Could I configure my speakers to work acceptably with the Kenwood or should I look elsewhwere? Thanks!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
My vote goes in the following order

ONKYO SR600
Pioneer VXS-811S

The onkyo had great reviews pair with the NPS1, although the problem with the rated power, it has enough to power the JBL speakers without a problem.

Now it will depend on how much you are willing to spend, because the Pioneer goes for $300, very good receiver for the money.

What is your budget? Ehat will be the main focus MOVIES/MUSIC?

Hope this helps,
Pablo

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I used a Denon 4800 with the NSP1, I wouldn't go denon, I found hissing (exagerated S's) to be a major problem with this combo. I've had no problem with other speakers, or other receivers and those speakers. Just that combo doesn't seem to work well.

DanMU

Agent
My focus music vs. movies I'd say is 50 - 50. Short term, emphasis on movies for this system. Maybe even long term. I'm really into music but maybe I will use my other systems for music, I can't say. My budget I'd put at $500 tops. I can get the 6070 for $421 shipped and the Pioneer probably $300, I know. If spending more will make for a happier result, I'll do that. I looked at the Onkyo and it didn't have all the features I'd like, but if the sound is a better match with my speakers, I could forgo features. My old receiver has phono inputs so I could use that for my TT, although it might give me less flexibility. (I don't know where I'm going to want to have my TT down the road.) The Onkyo TX-SR600 also lacks preamp outputs, I think, but I'm not currently planning to use that feature. The Pioneer doesn't have phono inputs either.

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the VSX-D811, and am planning on getting the NSP1 and two additional N24s for the Back Surrounds. I think that should be pretty nice.

I LOVE the 811 so far though. Great features, sound, etc. And a price that I couldn't find anything similar for near the same price.

DanMU

Agent
Skippy, the 811s has 7.1 preamp outputs, right? [EDIT: 7.1 preamp inputs but only 6.1 preamp outputs... what happens to the other channel?] So you plan on doing what? You will use a separate stereo amp to drive the 2 extra N24's? What will you use for the source? Will you have the same source for both sets of non-front surrounds? Curious...

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator
It has a Left and Right speaker level outputs for the Back Surround channel. So I'll have two speakers (N24s)for the Back Surround channel. So when I play an DD-EX or DTS-ES source, the BS will come from the extra two N24s. The 811 also has a couple of 6 channel modes for music as well.

But I haven't even gotten the NSP1 and N24s yet, since I'm moving in a couple of weeks and won't really be able to hook them up until I get to the new place. That was the plan for the 811 as well, but I just couldn't wait once it arrived on Friday. :b

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
I thought an 80Hz crossover was perfect for the NSP1's. Isn't 80Hz right around where they extend to. Also the 80Hz crossover isn't absolute, I think its about where its cut off. In my opinion, if you think the Kenwood has the feature set you should go for that.

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator
I paired the NSP1 package with an Onkyo SR600 and Sony WM40 sub. My reasons for picking Onkyo:

Onkyo vs Pioneer (very close second place)
Onkyo has better THD% and Component Bandwidth, OSD. Didn't need pre-outs. If the THD matched Onkyo, I would have given up OSD for 7.1.

Onkyo vs Kenwood
Onkyo has better THD% and Component Bandwidth.

Per JBL specs, the N24's Freq Resp (-3dB): 75Hz - 20kHz and the N Center Freq Resp (-3dB): 80Hz -20kHz. I intentionally have my xover set at 100Hz to stay away from this 80Hz edge, but will try a frequency sweep with xover set at 80Hz. I'm sure Phil I. could answer this...Phil?

ArthurM

Auditioning
Well My set-up is quite different than yours. I still used JBL's, Here is the Receiver I used, Yamaha 5590. Now in saying that I work at Best Buy and used my discount. I like most people like a good deal. I got the Yamaha for 482.00 I think for the price that receiver is hard to beat My Opinion only. I got the "S" center, S38II's for the front and S36's for rears. Using an old Kenwood Sub, soon to be replaced by an SVS. My Friend came over, I told him that the speaker/receiver combination was said to have a High Tonal sound. I didn't here it neither did he. I must say for the price its fun. Try Yamaha you never know.

DanMU

Agent
Skippy,

"It has a Left and Right speaker level outputs for the Back Surround channel. So I'll have two speakers (N24s)for the Back Surround channel. So when I play an DD-EX or DTS-ES source, the BS will come from the extra two N24s. The 811 also has a couple of 6 channel modes for music as well. "

Are you getting a subwoofer?

What are you doing with the other 4 N24's? Is this what you will have?

..........NCenter.........
N24....Subwoofer....N24
N24.......Chair.......N24
N24.......................N24

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I have a Sub now, and my new roomate has a better one we'll be using once I move. It's probably gonna be a bit more like this:

N24....NCenter....N24..Sub
N24.....Couch......N24
.....N24......N24.....

The front N24s and NCenter will be on top of the entertainment center, and the sub will probably end up on the floor beside that. Make sense?

DanMU

Agent
"Yeah, that's pretty much it. I have a Sub now, and my new roomate has a better one we'll be using once I move. It's probably gonna be a bit more like this:

N24....NCenter....N24..Sub
N24.....Couch......N24
.....N24......N24.....

The front N24s and NCenter will be on top of the entertainment center, and the sub will probably end up on the floor beside that. Make sense? "

I wondering a few things. Firstly, according to Crutchfield.com the 811s has 7.1 preamp inputs and 6.1 preamp outputs. What happens to the other channel? Also, my impression is that you get 6 powered channels. So, how can you get 7.1 out of this? Do you use a channel from the B speakers?

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure on the pre-amp outputs, since I'm not using those. But as far as the speaker level outputs, there are seven of those, and I just assumed that if you use both L and R Back surround channels, that it would cut the amplification to that channel by half, making each speaker get 50 watts. But looking at the specs in the manual, it does say "Surround Back - 100W per channel." Now that could be taken two ways. One would be that it gives 100w to each speaker. The other (and I think correct) is what I was saying above... that the Surround Back is one channel, so the wattage is split between those two speakers if you use both.

You could always still get the extra N24s, but only use one for tha back channel. I just wanted the N24s so I could have all the same speakers, all the way around.

Hope this helps.

S.

jeff_str

Auditioning
I also have the same plans and would like to hear Phil's response about the crossover issue. I was planning on pairing the NSP1's with a Denon 1803 (+DLS sub), but am concerned about the 80hz crossover setting.

In previous posts, Phil had reported a test from a magazine that gave the NSP1's a 'usable' frequency response down to 89hz. So would that mean that I'll have a 10hz gap if I used the above pairing and settings? I'd rather not have to use a 100hz setting.

I chose the 1803 because of it's apparent high wattage, as I live in an apartment and want a full sound at low levels. As was being discussed above, the Onkyo's are getting a rep for not having very accurate wattage ratings. So where does that leave us? Any additional suggestions in the $300 range for receivers?

--jeff_str

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
Those bass measurements are done in near-anechoic environments, to theoretically take the room out of the equation. But speakers really do exist in rooms, so best guess if that you'll get a little more bass than the 89 Hz measured by S&V, depending on your room and how close the N24s are, relative to the room boundaries.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
jeff,

The 1803 will meet your needs perfectly. I use one with JBL N's (38-26-24) for a 7.1 setup in my bedroom and it can provide very clear sound at low levels on up to reference. It is a stout little unit. I've run it very loud (around reference) and it barely gets warm. I would just suggest that you be sure you want a unit that does not a have a full set of preouts. Think hard about the road ahead and how badly you may want to switch to seperates in the future. Great unit :emoji_thumbsup:

My experience with JBL's thus far lends me to say that with N24's for mains a x-over setting of 80Hz would be too low. Remember that the x-over point is not exact, it is more of a gradual process. I would suggest 100Hz as a starting point.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Filter Characteristic
Main L/R, Center, Rear L/R (Main, Center, Rear SP: Small)
(H.P.F.) ......................... fc = 90 Hz, 12 dB/oct.
Subwoofer (L.P.F.)
....................................... fc = 90 Hz, 18 dB/oct.
So, if you bypass (disable) your Sub's x-over (if you don't have that option, Dial the x-over to its MAX position), then the sub will fill-in the -3 dB to -4 dB area @ the 80 Hz frequency!

Side note: The hallmark of the JBL NSP1 is it's usable lower frequency capability!!! Blending it with just about any AV Receiver / Sub is very easy!!! Those that bought the Energy Take 5 / Take 5.1 will have a gap since it's lower usable frequency = 110 Hz (Front -4.5 dB / Surround -3.2 dB). Based on the Take 5.2 plotted Speaker Graph, they are down -5 dB @ 100 Hz, and approx. -9 dB @ 80 Hz. Now that's a GAP!!

Hope this helps,
Phil

jeff_str

Auditioning
Well that's enough for me. Thanks Phil and Justin! I'll continue as planned then. I realized that the crossover was gradual but just wanted to make sure that I wasn't losing much of the spectrum. I just didn't want to do 100hz because I listen to a lot of music and wanted to minimize sub localization.

Don't worry, I have no plans to move to separates in the future, unless I win the lottery. This will be miles ahead of the junk I've got now (you guys would laugh).

--jeff_str

ArthurM

Auditioning
Hey Phil, What receiver do you use??? I got the bestbuy Speacil Yamaha HT-5590. Reason I am asking is the sound settings. I have a meter and such. I am ready to dial in my sound. Dont get me wrong, Sounds great but would like to tweak it.

Hey I remeber your email to me. I finaly got the S36's for rears. I was going to get S38II's But no way to mount them. I had a Friend come over we played a Music test it was ok. I was just wondering can I tweak the settings for Rock. I hit the sound setting Rock and it sounds Hollow I would like to get rid of it. I hope you can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks