What's new

What should I upgrade next? (1 Viewer)

Neal Siva

Agent
(Note: I put this in both the speaker and receiver forum since both are being discussed.)

When I first started my home theater, I got the JBL Cinema Propack 600 HTIB package. It included a receiver, a dvd player, a sub, and speakers. Later, I upgraded the speakers to the NSP1 package and the subwoofer with two Sony SA-WM40’s (I did the polyfill mod on both). That’s where I’m at right now.

I don’t know what my next upgrade is going to be. My room dimensions are 19 x 15 x 8, roughly 2300 cubic feet. I can only do one upgrade right now due to budget constraints, and another probably in around 4 months depending on circumstances. Right now I have four options:

1)receiver, probably either the HK 525 or Sony DA4ES
2)speakers, probably the JBL Studio Series or ???Axiom??? series
3)subwoofer, probably the SVS PC+ series or ???pb2+???
4)dvd, but I’m satisfied with the picture quality. Not that important.

I have both Sony subs turned to the 12 o’ clock position, which is enough and even at times too much. Looking at it from this perspective, the PC+ series is way overkill, and the pb2+, don’t even go there lol. But my mind keeps telling me it’s better to have too much then too less. Atleast I’ll know the sub will never be the system’s weakness. Is the difference that obvious since I have TWO of these sony subs?

I really don’t know how important changing the receiver is since I assume the majority of the sound quality is from the speakers. But then I hear people saying how they changed receivers and all of a sudden their sound quality difference was like night and day. Am I missing something here? Here is the receiver:
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...R600&SerId=CPP
It gets real hot when I’m playing my speakers real high, which is almost all the time. I’m scared it’ll blow up when I get higher duty speakers like the JBL studio series. Can everyone give me their thoughts on this matter? Thanks in advance.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
the svs will let you hear lower sounds, because if i remember correctly the sony sub doesnt tread all that far below 30Hz.

i wouldnt bother changing the speakers yet,better speakers are still going to be underwhelmed by the HTIB reciever.

i would go with the reciever. its going to cost less than the subs you are looking at, will upgrade you to all the latest sound formats, and will more than likely be a huge upgrade in the amplifier department compared to the HTIB reciever.

Neal Siva

Agent
What would be more significant in sound quality, improving the speakers to the JBL S-36 or S-38 all around or getting a HK 525 or Sony DA4ES receiver? The receiver that I have now plays my music plenty loud, but I want better sound quality at these levels. Thanks.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Decide what is the weakest part of your system and start there. For me it was my center channel so I started there. It sounds like you are doing OK in the sub department with the sony's(I also have one). I would go with upgrading your receiver since I think it will make the biggest difference in your system. Happy upgrading!

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I also say upgrade your receiver. That is pretty much where I started upgrading and be careful not to get bitten by the upgrade bug to bad. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks