What's new

what Projector for 110" screen (1 Viewer)

ScottProulx

Auditioning
Scott,

I just got my 4805 4 days ago. The lens is 15'3" away from painted wall.(Behr Flat SilverScreen) I am able to adjust the size of viewable area from just under 90" to alittle over 110" I have set it at about 95". I am able to do this becuase it's a painted wall with no border yet..Still playing with it before I paint the border. Seating ranges from 7' to 14' away. Screendoor is visible to me at about 8'. Main seating is 14 away, so projector is actually just above our heads. Fan noise is not a problem. While watching movies or playing X-box I cannot hear the fan.
While surfing the web on PC, I can hear the fan, but it's not an issue with me, and it's not as loud as computer scsi drives. I don't think you'll be happy with the picture on this unit if you go too big.. My wife thought the pic was great at over 110" and wanted bigger(get those minds out of the gutter). I thought the picture lost it's sharpness, and kept it under 110" With this said. let me tell you how I compare my video.
I was in the market for a 65" Mitsubishi rear Projection TV 2 yrs ago. looked at the $2500 silver the $3000 Gold
the $4000 Platnium and the $5000 Diamond. at the mid 90" range the Infocus 4805 image is close to the higher end Diamond series. at 110" and over, the image quality is closer to the Gold series. So, I am quite impressed with my purchase.. Also, this projector is set up in a room where 3 of the 4 walls are full of windows without shades. I enjoyed watching my New England Patriots Superbowl DVDs the other morning on a cloudy day. I certainly didn't expect this and is a nice bonus. Picture is much better with little to no ambient light, but can also be enjoyed during the daytime hours provided it isn't too bright and light isn't shining directly on the wall/screen that you are viewing. My personal opinion is the 4805 lens should be no more than 17 feet away from your screen.

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response. I think what I am going to do is insert bracing onto the ceiling from about the 15 foot range and run it to the back of the room, 20 feet. the only problem this will present is the cabling. I still have a couple of weeks before I HAVE to decide.

One other question, how far from the top of the ceiling can you mount the projector? I'm building in a bulkhead that is about 13 inches down and 2 feet out from the wall and could build it into that. At that distance it the front of the projector would be about 17.5 feet from the screen.

Scott, what is the size you think you will permantently set your screen to? Let me know when you figure out, your rec's will help.

terence

Supporting Actor
ScottProulx,

I was in the same boat you were in. I was looking to upgrade from my 61" RCA analog RPTV, and get a 65" Mits or Toshiba. I thought about the prices of these sets and was like for these prices i could get a desent projector. I started looking into pj's and the SP4805 was all i heard from every forum i belong to and visted. I demoed one and that was it for me, i had to have one. For the price and performance just blew me away, and it looks great on a 110" screen even HD content looks outstanding by it being a EDTV projector.

ScottATl,

I have mine 12-1/2" below the (8ft) ceilng, i had to keystone the pic but still did not kill my PQ.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator

Scott I also am going to do this, Since My ceiling has yet to be drywalled, I am going to run some 2x2's on the inside of the Joist's recessed 1/2 inch above the bottom of the joist, then cut the plywood longways into strips the width between the joist, depending on width you will cover 3-4 joists spaces, basically do all this and the plywood will be flush with the joists and wont interfere with drywall installation, this way you will have a big area to mount your projector to that is secure, I will have the power and compontent cables run to a couple outlet boxes in the cieling in the general area where I think the projector will be

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, everyone has pretty mcuh given you some good advise. I would only add that Panasonic and Sony have LCD projectors that now incorporate a lens shift and zoom feature. You can adjust the picture to fit a 110" screen with no problem. The Panasonic is $2,200, and the Sony is $3,400. If you have to go with a DLP, then please make sure that it is true HD. 1280x720!!

Rob
Baltimore, MD

ScottProulx

Auditioning
I'll be finishing up my install by midweek, and will have a url posted with specs and pics. I know I will not have a screen larger than 100". It'll most likely be 98" exactly.
ScottAtl., if you can, wait on the screen purchase and get a quart of the Behr Flat SilverScreen and put on the wall using a quality foam roller to keep the finish as smooth as possible.(1 quart is only enough for one coat for a 120" screen. if it's a concern, get a gallon.) Then you can play with the image size for a few weeks till you decide how you like it. Then you'll have the option of keeping a painted screen or purchasing a screen to fit what you would then know is correct for your room.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
ScottATL, I dont think I am going to be previewing the 4805 anymore, I have decided to go with a BenQ PE7800, not that there is anything wrong with the 4805, I just want the bigger screen and the BenQ fits my needs a bit better.

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. At this point I am in favor of the benq7800. I think it has the best quality, and the only thing I think it compares to is the sp5700, but the sp5700 has such a long throw to achieve 110" it will not fit the room. To get 110" it needs 20 feet and I am maxed at 17.5. The Benq only needs about 15-16, and I am actually going to place it at the 17.5 foot mark and build the platform into my bulkhead to give a streamline look to the ceiling. You won't even know it is there. I'm going to use some of the tips on heat management given to me to keep it cool by putting in an additional fan to route the air, and place it on a metal screen raised off the wood platform.

Now I'm all motivated for the weekend so I get some work done. I hope to be finished framing the walls this weekend and the bulkhead and ceiling the next. That will leave me to do the wiring, cabling, and hvac runs over Christmas break. My goal is to be ready for sheetrock by Jan 1. With all hope, I'll be able to watch the superbowl in the media room

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Have you considered a LCD projector? I have the Panasonic L500 (720P) which I got for under $2400.00 (Including 30' of Component cables, ceiling mount, and spare bulb). The picture is better than expected especially when viewing HD!

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks