What's new

what Projector for 110" screen (1 Viewer)

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm building the home theater now in my basement and planning for a 110" screen, which will give me an 8' wide by 58" (in 16:9). Will the Infocus projector handle this nicely, or will I need to step up in the price range. I want something that will do HD, is that possible too? Not too savvy on projectors. Thanks

oh yeah, it has to be mountable to the ceiling too, and will be about 8-9 feet from the screen, could do 10-12 if needed.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Scott, what Infocus projector?
What is your budget just for projector?
Do you want a native HD(720p) projector, or one that will accept HD, there's a big difference?

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
www.projectorcentral.com has the calculations for projector throw distances, make sure you check there first as most projectors will not give you as big of a picture you are requesting at the throw distance you are talking about.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, I assume you are talking about the SP4805. I previewed the 4805 on a 100" screen and the dealer I previewed it at said it would look good on a 119" no problem. However, I am going to have the dealer bring one to my house to preview on a 119" and a 110" before I buy it, but just judging from the quality of the 100, I dont see it losing much if any on a 110

Darren McGruther

Stunt Coordinator
your projector distance to the screen will have to be in the 15-17 foot range to got 110" or better. 100" calls for 12.63'-15.1' from the screen. Of course this info is for the Screenplay 4805

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
I love this site. The room is 20 feet deep, but i was trying to avoid having the projector behind the seating area, which starts around 12.5 feet from the screen and goes to the rear wall. Keep the tips coming. I'd like to be in the sub 3000 range on projector.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Scott, it's BEST to have projector behind seating, then it won't be distracting visually when you're watching anything. Is there a reason it can't be behind seating?

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
Jim it is my understanding that the 4805 is a very quiet projector with little to no light spill, so it might not be so bad mounted on the ceiling. Am I mistaken? that and with a room 20 feet deep you can really put it on the back wall.

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
Jim, thanks for the info. I'm new to the projector world. Perhaps I'll build the shelf into the rear wall, which will be just shy of 20 feet to the screen. Can the Infocus screen play be adjusted to fit this?

Travis, when are you getting your in home demo? I'm not going to be ready to buy a projector for a few months as I'm just now framing and running the electric, but please let me know what you think of it.

Brian, thanks for the other suggestions. I'll check them out with the Infocus.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
scott, it will probably be mid january when I preview it and I will post some screen shots and let you know what I think, Brian, where did you find the Benq at for 2000, best price I found was 2800.00

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Travis, I am saying to mount it behind seating, if possible. Ceiling mounting is fine. You have to check the Projector calculator at Infocus.com or Projectorcentral.com to see if mounting on rear wall will give you the screen size you want. The calculator is based on distance from lens to screen. So deduct the distance from rear wall to lens, and make sure you allow enough room for your cables out the back.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Scott thats what I also want to know, I found it at ProjectorPeople and they had it for 2800.00, your gettin me all excited brian, did you really find it for 2000.00 somewhere? for that price I would go with that instead of the Infocus

Fernando Saa

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know about the Mitsubishi HC900 yet? I hear is supposed to be great and it's DLP. My dealer has it for 3000 bucks.

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
SORRY ABOUT THE DELAY....I got mine for 1999 shipped! I ordered it througha retailer on another forum....pm or email me and I will tell you exactly where!!

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian.

With the screen size and the distance of my room, should I just plan on having the projector mounted to the rear wall? It would be about 19.5 feet from the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks