What's new

What Movies Do You Know Inside Out? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Casablanca (View it every year)
The Searchers (View it every year)
The Professionals (View it every year)
The Night of the Hunter (View it every two years)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (View it every two years)
The Quiet Man (View it every two-three years)
To Kill a Mockingbird (View it every two-three years)
The Godfather (View it every three years)
Tall in the Saddle (View it every year)
Rio Bravo (View it every year)

How about McLintock?! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How about McLintock?! :D
You know, I actually watched McLintock for the first time as a kid in a movie theater. After that, I probably watched it at least once a year on TV through high school. I might have seen it once or twice during my college years. After college and once cable and home video kicked in, I probably watched it another 25-30 times since the late 1970's.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I used to watch a series of films in a somewhat regular rotation (usually at least once every one or two years) which had the effect of (nearly) imprinting those films.

I'll mention A Clockwork Orange because a good friend of mine loves this film and we invariably quote passages of the film (usually as they comment upon or relate to topics of conversation). If the subject of crime comes up then we go with the whole 'its a stinkin' world' section of the film. When it is time for one of us to part ways we tend to use the 'right, I'm off' section when Alex leaves his parents, etc. etc.

- Walter.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For me, it's like memorizing a song. I never set out to learn the words of a song (or a movie) but I hear it enough that I learn the words.

I've never set out to memorize a movie either. It just happens with repeat viewings.

For me in practice, remembering stuff from movies, tv shows, music, etc ... is very time dependent.

For something that I watched over and over again in my youth and young adulthood (such as the original Star Trek reruns, Cheech and Chong, etc ...), I do remember a lot of it.

On the other hand for stuff that I watched repeatedly over and over again as a middle-aged adult, I've found that I don't really remember it as much (or easily).

For example, I really liked the original Battlestar Galactica back in its first-run broadcast, but I never saw it again for almost three decades. When I finally got the dvd set, I was watching it over and over again. (Even today I still watch it frequently). Though I've found that I don't easily remember much about any of these original Battlestar Galactica episodes, even after watching them several hundred times on dvd.

Another example is stuff like CSI and the later Star Trek franchise shows. Even though I watch these shows in reruns for many years almost every day, I find I don't really remember much about specific episodes.

Somehow my memory isn't as good as I get older.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Thinking about it, memorization of the images and even music cues come to me much more naturally than the dialogue verbatim. I DO memorize a lot of dialogue (unintentionally), but while reading this thread, I've been trying to think back on certain movies I thought I had memorized, but the dialogue is spotty.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You know, I actually watched McLintock for the first time as a kid in a movie theater. After that, I probably watched it at least once a year on TV through high school. I might have seen it once or twice during my college years. After college and once cable and home video kicked in, I probably watched it another 25-30 times since the late 1970's.

I will likely always tie you to McLintock because of all those years you had that quote in your signature!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Of course, now that I've finally seen the movie, I can't remember what his quote used to be!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Of course, now that I've finally seen the movie, I can't remember what his quote used to be!
It's the first chess scene at the store where GW is playing Mr. Binbaum. In the background, GW heard horses then Katherine's voice and GW cowardly states the following to Camille Reedbottom, who is observing the chess game.

Camille: You're on your own!

Just the way John Wayne states that line cracks me up as George Washington McLintock isn't afraid of anything, but confrontation with his estranged wife.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that is the precise moment I knew that I was going to love the movie.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Three times I've taught a college class on Hitchcock's Hollywood years. I knew the films pretty well before, but teaching and discussing them helps in getting to know them inside and out. The ones I've focused on are....

Rebecca
Shadow of a Doubt
Lifeboat
Spellbound
Notorious
Rope
Rear Window
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Vertigo
North by Northwest
and
Psycho

There are some others by Hitchcock that I also know and love, like Saboteur, Stage Fright, Dial M for Murder, and The Birds.

When my future wife and I were first engaged, more than 25 years ago, we were on a long car ride, and didn't like any of the radio stations. I told her I could give her an almost complete play by play of the original Star Wars from 1977. She didn't believe me. 90 minutes later she believed me. It was only about half an hour less than the real movie. Thank goodness she married me anyway.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Three times I've taught a college class on Hitchcock's Hollywood years. I knew the films pretty well before, but teaching and discussing them helps in getting to know them inside and out. The ones I've focused on are....

Rebecca
Shadow of a Doubt
Lifeboat
Spellbound
Notorious
Rope
Rear Window
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Vertigo
North by Northwest
and
Psycho

There are some others by Hitchcock that I also know and love, like Saboteur, Stage Fright, Dial M for Murder, and The Birds.

When my future wife and I were first engaged, more than 25 years ago, we were on a long car ride, and didn't like any of the radio stations. I told her I could give her an almost complete play by play of the original Star Wars from 1977. She didn't believe me. 90 minutes later she believed me. It was only about half an hour less than the real movie. Thank goodness she married me anyway.

I would have KILLED to be in that class!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Big Jake (Not hardly)
Cool Hand Luke (What we have, is failure to communicate)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (I was rootin' for ya, Butch)
Fail Safe (I am the Matador!)
Dr. Strangelove (What are you, some kind of Prevert?)
The Man Who Knew too Much (Que sera, sera)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I would have KILLED to be in that class!

It would have been great to have you in the class! I bet you could have taught me some things....Anyway, you probably know it, but one of the books we used is really still a worthwhile classic imho—Spoto's The Art of Alfred Hitchcock. It's rather "formalist" in its approach, but for what it does it's good. The chapter on Vertigo is esp. in depth. You can tell Spoto memorized that film for this book.

1387.jpg

Last edited:

BatKink

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Nutty Professor - Jerry Lewis version
Zorro, The Gay Blade
The Godfather I and II
GoodFellas
Dumb and Dumber
Blazing Saddles

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, you probably know it, but one of the books we used is really still a worthwhile classic imho"—Spoto's The Art of Alfred Hitchcock. It's rather "formalist" in its approach, but for what it does it's good. The chapter on Vertigo is esp. in depth. You can tell Spoto memorized that film for this book.
I read that book when I was probably 12 or 13 and I really need to re-read it. Back then, it had a different cover, was regular paperback-shaped (rather than its current incarnation which is much more easy on the eyes) and it took me many months to read it during study halls.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
La La Land
Field of Dreams
Star Wars

And the one I've seen more times than any other, the film that will likely never be replaced as my all-time favorite, the film I know like the back of my hand, the film that I went out of my way to visit the various filming locations:

i-2SQXwGn.jpg

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks