What's new

What Movies Do You Know Inside Out? (1 Viewer)

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Clue
Soapdish
The Lion in Winter
Suddenly Last Summer
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
A Streetcar Named Desire
All About Eve
Beetlejuice
Sunset Boulevard
Groundhog Day

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Most of the films I grew up with fit this bill -- Aladdin and The Lion King are my top two favorite films of all time, largely due to my affection for them from playing them over and over on VHS as a kid. (I literally broke the Aladdin VHS, not from handling it poorly but because it just got watched too many times and broke.) But also the other films of this period -- The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, plus Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, etc., and the non-Disney ones I loved, Balto and Anastasia.

Man, the '90s were a great time to grow up.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A confession: I was grounded when BATB came out and had to stay at home while the rest of the family went to see it in theaters. By the time I saw it, on home video, it had been so hyped that it just didn't do anything for me. It's grown on me a little more over time but I have to confess the movie doesn't mean nearly as much to me as it does for most. I thought Aladdin and especially The Lion King were far superior.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My mother still comments about how many zillions of times my son (her grandson) watched the VHS of The Lion King. He was four-years-old in '94 (when TLK hit the theaters)..

I caught B&tB so many times in the theaters because my son was just about one-year old in '91 and my wife welcomed any time I could clear out the house a little bit by taking out our then-five year old daughter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My mother still comments about how many zillions of times my son (her grandson) watched the VHS of The Lion King. He was four-years-old in '94 (when TLK hit the theaters)..

I caught B&tB so many times in the theaters because my son was just about one-year old in '91 and my wife welcomed any time I could clear out the house a little bit by taking out our then-five year old daughter.
What's it like watching a movie with a 5 year-old girl? I bet it varies with the quality of the movie.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My daughter was about 4 when I
Took her to see Snow White. She basically sat transfixed except when SN was lost in the forest and the trees seemed to have faces. Then she sat on my lap.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" might be even better known to me than I had thought -- during the week, I saw an episode of Star Trek Voyager (a show I'm just discovering, so no spoilers please) where we see the memory of a Voyager crew member whose first Starfleet assignment had been on the bridge of the Excelsior where Sulu was in command in the film's opening scenes. Watching the TV episode, it was immediately apparent to me which shots had been restaged and recreated, and which had been taken directly from the film. I totally enjoyed the episode, but I also wasn't fooled for a second about what was shot when.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
None in particular. I can recall scenes from movies that I like, but I could not recall a film verbatim. i have never watched any movie so many times that I would be able to recite all the dialog from it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
None in particular. I can recall scenes from movies that I like, but I could not recall a film verbatim. i have never watched any movie so many times that I would be able to recite all the dialog from it.
That's impressive. Almost everyone I know whether a movie fan or not has at least one film they know inside and out. Not verbatim or able to recite all the dialogue which isn't what this thread is about. Don't you have a favorite film that you know very well Edwin?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Tino I'm the same.
Even my three favorite movies, I don't know them like that.

When My friend and I are talking about movies and tv shows he is always saying things like remember that ep when yada yada and blah blah said this and that?

And I'm like I remember that ep or movie but not exactly the way he does.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm with Edwin-S. I've seen far too many movies in my life and I don't have time to re-watch them ad nauseam. Can I quote some lines? Yes. Can I recall some great editing sequences? Yes.
But I've only seen Groundhog Day once.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's impressive. Almost everyone I know whether a movie fan or not has at least one film they know inside and out. Not verbatim or able to recite all the dialogue which isn't what this thread is about. Don't you have a favorite film that you know very well Edwin?

I guess Die Hard would probably qualify. I tend to watch that one every Christmas. Even with that one I probably couldn't quote dialog exactly from memory. The scene with the two agents in the chopper never fails to get a laugh out of me.

Agent Johnson: Yeehaw! Just like Saigon. Right, Slick?
Agent Johnson: I was in high school, Dickhead.

I checked on that quote. As usual, i didn't quite get it right. The actual quote is:

Johnson: Just like fucking Saigon ain't it, Slick.
Johnson: I was in Junior High, Dickhead.

See what I mean?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The thing for me is, I never set out to memorize a movie. It's actually better when it doesn't happen. Case in point, last night I watched a new German BD import of "Bend Of The River". It's a James Stewart western I discovered fairly recently, and saw for the first time within the past year or so. Normally, I'd remember something under those conditions pretty well, but for whatever reason, when I put the movie on, I was surprised by most of what happened. It was more fun watching it, feeling almost like it was the first time. So I never set out to memorize a movie.

It's a little bit of a fluke that I know every line of dialogue in "2001".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Casablanca
The Searchers
The Professionals
The Night of the Hunter
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
The Quiet Man
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Godfather
Tall in the Saddle
Rio Bravo
The reason why I have those films memorized is because outside of The Godfather, I've been viewing those films since I was a little kid. If I had to guess, I've watched every one of those films at least 20 times with The Godfather being the one I've only seen 20 times with the other films being much greater. I've probably watched The Searchers, Tall in the Saddle and Rio Bravo 15 times each before I even got out of high school back in the early 1970s. Imagine how many viewings since then with cable, home video and satellite eras I've experienced in my adult years.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The reason why I have those films memorized is because outside of The Godfather, I've been viewing those films since I was a little kid.

It's the same for me for a lot of the titles on my list.

The other factor is, there are certain types of films that I end up revisiting fairly often, and that will help with unintentionally memorizing them. Every time a new Bond movie comes out, I rewatch all of the old ones, so that means they're getting played basically every other year. Same for the Marvel movies; when a new Captain America movie comes out, I rewatch all the old Captain America movies. I usually see It's A Wonderful Life every holiday season.

I would actually kinda love to figure out what my very favorite movies are, and at some point get the calendar programmed in more from year to year. I really enjoy having certain films that I watch each year, and I think it would be fun to have more titles like that specifically tied to particular dates or at least times of the year. After discovering The Quiet Man this year, that's a possibility for every St. Patrick's Day from now on. I like to watch 1776 on July 3rd and Spielberg's "Lincoln" on July 4th. It would be find more movies to tie to more dates like that. I often enjoy a movie more when I've been looking forward to it, as opposed to just watching it on a whim, so I think that would also help me squeeze some extra enjoyment out of most things if I had them scheduled in advance and would naturally be looking forward to them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Casablanca (View it every year)
The Searchers (View it every year)
The Professionals (View it every year)
The Night of the Hunter (View it every two years)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (View it every two years)
The Quiet Man (View it every two-three years)
To Kill a Mockingbird (View it every two-three years)
The Godfather (View it every three years)
Tall in the Saddle (View it every year)
Rio Bravo (View it every year)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The thing for me is, I never set out to memorize a movie. It's actually better when it doesn't happen. Case in point, last night I watched a new German BD import of "Bend Of The River". It's a James Stewart western I discovered fairly recently, and saw for the first time within the past year or so. Normally, I'd remember something under those conditions pretty well, but for whatever reason, when I put the movie on, I was surprised by most of what happened. It was more fun watching it, feeling almost like it was the first time. So I never set out to memorize a movie.

It's a little bit of a fluke that I know every line of dialogue in "2001".

Be fair, there ARE only 6 lines!
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks