What's new

What kind of bird is this? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This bird was in our neighbor's tree this morning, eating it's kill. It's obviously a bird of prey, but I'm not sure exactly which kind. I have seen hawks at a golf course about 2 miles from our house, but I've never seen a bird like this before around here.

Can anyone help identify this bird?

Bird of prey

John Watson

Screenwriter
Cool!

I can tell you its not a Redtailed Hawk, and definitely not a Bald Eagle, which I see around here.

Hope someone can id it for you.

On the birdwatch beat, this morning near our back yard we saw a flock of 200 or so Bohemian Waxwings. Awesome sight!

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Looks like the one I saw in my yard the other day. I wasn't able to get a decent photo, though. The closest picture I could find was the Audubon Society's of a Pigeon Hawk.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I actually am pretty sure that is a Hawk, Red Tail I think.

Sent the picture to my mother who is pretty much a Michigan bird expert.

Brandon

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I sent the photo to a colleague who is a bird watcher, too. The other hawks I've spotted in the area were a single golden brown color, without the white breast feathers that this bird has.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
We get a lot of red tails around my house. I awoke one morning to one disemboweling a mourning dove on my deck. It flew off before I could grab my camera.

I'd vote red tailed hawk. Yours looks a little "scragly", Scott. Probably underfed from the winter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It does look somewhat like the photo that Chris Matson posted of a redtail hawk. As you stated, Dave, it does look more scragly. The bird did have one feature that looked different from other hawks I've seen, though -- tufts of feathers above the eyes that give a "bushy eyebrow" look, similar to an owl.

I also captured the bird on videotape, but have not had the time to look at the tape yet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jassen, that photo of the Cooper's Hawk also looks quite similar to my photo. From the website:

We do live in the suburbs, which is why I thought any type of bird of prey sighting was unusual in our neighborhood.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Scott,

I actually was in a feathery tug of war deciding between the Coopers, Sharp Shinned, Rough Legged, and the Goshawk. My vote was for the Coopers based on spot pattern on the chest. I know there are many suggestions that it's a Red-Tailed hawk but the spot pattern on a red-tail starts lower more upper belly than high chest.

If you do ever figure out what it is exactly let us know.

-jay

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I sent the photo to a colleague who is an avid bird watcher, and he identified the bird as either a Cooper's Hawk or Sharp-shinned Hawk -- he was leaning towards a Cooper's Hawk. He said the only way he could know for sure was to see the bird in flight -- a Sharp-shinned Hawk flies with very quick and snappy wingbeats. I never saw the bird in flight, unfortunately.

BTW, I was in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina last week playing golf and I spotted a similar looking hawk on the golf course one day. After never seeing this type of hawk before, I've now seen two within a week in two different parts of the country. Isn't that a coincidence!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It may be the resolution of my monitor, but is the bird in the photo wearing a ring on one foot?

Sorry, no idea on what type of bird it is, but living in the UK, that's perhaps not surprising.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I would say Swainsens Hawk. We have a nesting pair behind our house every spring/summer. They are a type of Red Tail without the red tail.

:)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
It looks like a hawk to me, but I am no authority on birds of prey.

It does look there may be some form of tag on his foot, but wouldn't this be placed on the leg, rather then the claw/talon area??

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
the osprey is thinner and has an eye streak, and swainson's have a solid color head starting at the upper chest.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Andrew, that is actually the kill that the hawk was eating. It was some sort of small bird -- we could see feathers falling as it ate its prey. We had a great view with our binoculars. My digital camera has a 7x optical zoom, but I still had to zoom in more via software to create this larger photo of the bird, making the image a little less clear. I did use a tripod, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks