What's new

What is your preferred way of listening to music? (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
How do you listen to 2-ch music through 7.1 without a DSP?? I'm intrigued.
Perhaps RogerB is reffering to unprocessed stereo in the

both the front and back speakers.

But back to 7.1 sound & "DSP": Some of us make a distinction

from DSP surround that adds artificial reverb and coloration

to a recording, vs matrix extraction schemes like Logic7 or

DPL2, which attempt to pull out ambiance or directional cues

from the recording itself. Matrix extraction can be implemented

in the analog or digital domain.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I voted 2 channel stereo is mainly because of the speakers used. I believe it's hard to beat two good speakers reproducing the signal. When you start adding speakers, (center, surrounds, effect speakers, even subs)

timber matching, room effects, etc... becomes very hard. Even the exact same speaker sounds different when located differently.

7 or 8 speakers works great for movies but not so much with music, at least in my experiences.

geo

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
mostly 2 channel myself, though I watched the nine inch nails DVD in DTS and WOW was it amazing.

Rob Roth

Stunt Coordinator
I vited 2ch simply because most of my material is 2ch CDs. But from day one in this hobby/obsession I made my system capable of mch. Early on I read Harley on the desireability of equal, full range speakers (I ignored his advocacy of dipoles for surrounds). It has cost me a fair bit more, but I've maintained full range speakers at all positions with identical amplification and cabling.

I rent film DVDs but I buy concert DVDs- which is what my system is optimized for. So adding mch has been a logical progression. I certainly agree there is a huge range of mix quality out there in all formats; CD, DTS, DD, SACD and DVDA. The trick is to have a system of sufficient flexibility and capability that you can play anything in the format that best brings out the music.

Ken Wilson

Agent
Two channel.

I like surround stuff IF it's presented properly, which isn't too often. The latest incident of my hopes dashed: The Last Waltz. The 5.1 mix put some instruments and voices in the rear channels, and there I was in the middle of the band - again! I dropped it into two channel, in this case pro-logic, and it sounded more natural.

When are these guys going to figure it out?! What works for movies does not work for concerts!

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks