1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

What is your preferred way of listening to music?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Parker Clack, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    This is another poll that was requested by one of members that asks the question. What do you prefer listening to music in 2 channel or Multi channel?

Parker

2. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I thought (and still think) that the people who prefer the Multi-Channel Music presentations will be FAR into the minority when this poll is finally tallied, but I really dig the Multi-Channel stuff I've heard thus far!

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I have yet to hear much multichannel music that is done well, so stereo is still my preferred format - for now. I think that once surround becomes standard in car audio (which it's perfect for: fixed listening position etc), then surround will be great. It's not the format as the content.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i only voted 2-channel because i haven't had the opportunity to experience the other yet. i'm pretty sure i would dig it though...

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have heard multi-channel done very well at Chesky demonstrations, particularly Bucky Pizzarelli Swing Live. I can see how this may become very, very popular, even with non-audiophiles given the 5.1 explosiion.

But I still prefer good ole two channel...

Lee

6. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Multi-channel done right (Chesky, DMP) can sound great. Too bad most multi-mixes are gimmicky. I prefer 2ch until surround mixes get better.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Two-channel is where it's at. Multi-channel is good for a change of pace, but most of the mixes leave a lot to be desired.

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

When the multi-mix is well done it's a refreshingly full and enveloping experience. I think Foreigner 4 is one good example.

I also love the 5.1 mix on Hell Freezes Over for Seven Bridges Road.

Many audiophiles thought Quad was a great format so I don't get the animosity now. Bad mixes are bad mixes, stereo or otherwise, it's not the formats fault.

9. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I went with multi-channel because a couple of my favorite albums are on DVD-A and sound wonderful. Once everyone figures out how to use it right, I think Multi-Channel will be widely accepted. However for now I imagine it will be a bit hit and miss. But a well done multi-channel mix can bring an album to a whole other level.

Anybody still have the link to that website from Seth's sig? I don't think I held onto it.

10. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    2 channel here. As I listen tend to most of my music on headphones.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I voted 2 channel, but it's more accurate for me to say: however it was mixed originally. I listen to all my CDs in stereo, but for certain concert DVDs (Train, Dave Matthews, James Taylor), I listen in 5.1 because they were recorded that way (I think).

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd agree with that. I voted 2ch, because most of my listening is CDs/2ch. HOWEVER, I very much enjoy a GOOD 5.1 mix. I rented Sting:Brand New Day Tour Live, and it was CRAP. I was disappointed because the album sounds very good. Eagles:Hell Freezes Over is my idea of well mastered multi-channel.

13. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

It depends on what it is. Most of my music is played in my car but if im at home cooking or cleaning or just geeking out Ill play one of my DVD-A's. Ive heard a few bad mixes though.

14. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

I have to say 2channel rules also listening to some good vinyl, sounds so much better with the right system and equipment.[​IMG]

15. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    From my experience, with a good recording and a top notch system with exceptional imaging there is really no need for surround. I do like watching concert videos in surround, usually with the center channel off.

16. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I really do enjoy the multi channel stuff that is out there. I have heard some that are very good and some not so good. But in all, when I rreally want to sit on my couch and listen to music, I usually do it in stereo mode. 2 channel just seems more pure to me.

17. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

Give me two channel stereo and a good set of headphones and we are all set!

18. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

I echo John Rice's sentiments.

Multi-channel music is kind of neato, but it calls too much attention to itself. The time I spent thinking "Hm, why are the horns behind my left ear?" could have been better spent just listening to the part. Also, it's gimmicky.

NP: Dream Theater - Awake

19. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

20. Harold Leroy

Harold Leroy Stunt Coordinator

I enjoy both. There are some bad DVD-A mixes, but overall I think there are OK. Two channel Q-sound is also a current favorite as is any good 2 channel mix.