What's new

What is your preferred way of listening to music? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I just got KOB myself. It does sound great in multi-channel, but I thought it was a little odd that they put the drums almost completely on the left channel.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't really noticed, Mike. In fact, I was very impressed that everything seemed less "speaker-bound" than the SBM stereo release. I'll pay attention to that next time I get to sit down with it.

Greg Br

Second Unit
Muti-Channel to answer the poll

This is kind comparing apples and oranges. Lets give it a little time to develope and see where it goes. How long has two channel been around? How long has multi-channel?

Michael_Harley

Auditioning
My experience here is vast. While I do not necessarily look at SACD with multi-channel favorably, the DVD-audio is fantastic! It is literally like being in the music. Try Steely Dan's "Gaucho" and see for yourself.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Is Steely Dan's Gaucho out on dvd audio? I thought the only one they had out was 2 Against Nature.

Pete Gia

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for two-channel, if it`s done "right"(Equipment,speaker placement,room,etc.)However I`d be willing to try multi-channel.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Yet another for 2-channel. It might change when I pick up a DVD-A player. For the moment I've been listening to DTS mult-channel tracks and it's not bad but I still prefer 2 channel.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Jack said:
"I've always been a two-channel guy myself. Last night, though, I sat enraptured for an beautiful hour by the
multichannel SACD of Kind of Blue."
Jack, have you heard the vinyl re-issue of "Kind of Blue" ?
It's really an excellent pressing! :)BTW, I'm a 2 channel guy.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Multi channel!!!!

BTW if one thinks that multi channel is to add surround speakers and done with it,is surely mistaken.

Setting up a competent multi channel set up is every bit of demanding and then more as a good stereo set up,and THX no need to apply!

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Here's a plug for 6 channel stereo. I've heard others don't like it - but I find you get the best of both worlds - surrounded with stereo. Anyone else?

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Here's a plug for 6 channel stereo. The best of both worlds. Don't know why others don't like it. Anyone else?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Whatever's best for the original recording made.

If Star Wars Episode 2 was recorded with 6-track in mind, I'd prefer that over 2-channel stereo.

If I want to listen to Glenn Miller, I'd prefer mono.

Now, if Glenn Miller was recorded in multi-track, but MIXED into mono, then you get into a gray area.

I have no preference. There are good and bad mixes of both kinds.

Mike

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Yeah the reason I plugged six channel stereo is that it is basically stereo whereby you use all of your HT speakers - the result is an envelopment of stereo - a really unique experience. The only thing is that you need all of your speakers to be half decent, and not the type you get from theatre in a box. The centre channel plays the left channel in stereo, and the centre rear surround is the right channel.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I haven't yet had a chance to listed to multichannel mixed music (DAD?) apart from some music DVDs. For the foreseeable future, I'll stick with stereo since I have many more regular CDs than any other media and switching my receiver to surround has drastically undesirable effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks