What's new

What is wrong with my computer?? (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Multiple? Very weird!

I'm sure that you're only supposed to have one of these running, so that might help or be it. I'd remove all but one and see if that is it, and then reboot and see if they all come up at startup.

Glenn

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I hate to keep bumping in on your problem thread but I keep learning from this thread.

I just looked at my Process page in the Task Manager and I have about 30+ different programs in it. Should I have all these in there? I know many should be there but how do I stop these ones I don't want from starting every time the PC is turned on. I have looked and looked for what I figured should be Start up programs list edit page but can't seem to find it.

Wes

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Yes, there are many programs running in the background on a normal Windows install.

If you download Process Explorer, I linked to it up there, you can get a more detailed list. Most processes have a description and the name of the company who created it listed in Procexp.

As for programs that run at start, there are several startup managers available for free, and there is even a program installed with Windows XP; go to File, Run and type in "msconfig" (without the quotation marks obviously). That allows you to see what you have on the system set to autostart.

Be careful what you remove in that program; you probably want to stick to the "startup" tab entirely, which is a list of the programs that autostart. There is more you can do, like tinkering with the services that start with the computer and so on, but that can have unwanted side effects if you don't know what you are turning off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks