What's new

What is this Sony gadget? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
un-be-f**king-lievable...

if that is an actual test model of some sort, with real data (as opposed to some prefab demo) then i am floored.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I believe it is a prototype ESPER unit that is favored by Blade Runner officers......"Enhance...stop. Pull back and stop.".

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Kinda reminds me of Minority Report. Now I can frame Tom Cruise for murder!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Go to 1:56, and it appears that the work surface is the actual display system while the removable squares are program triggers.

It looks cool, but it's not obvious that it's really radical. The monitor screen has pre-configured mount points which position program cards. The cards possibly don't have actually have a program, but indicate to the screen what program to run and at what location. They may be touch-sensitive, or maybe they are thin enough that they pass the pressure to the actual display / work screen. If so, then drag & drop is nothing more than what is already common.

Neat demo, clever interface. But I need more details to be impressed in a "paradigm shift" way.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
DataTiles

This is the Sony page behind it, it was presented a few years back as a research project. I don't think it's in any shape "real" yet.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I like the little sound of the suction when the little glass display is put onto the lightboard thing... sssuuuuch pop!

Jay

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Cool.

That NYU video makes me think we're one step closer to those cool see-through plexiglass touch screen computers you see in all the sci-fi movies. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks