What's new

What is red push, and do new Mits 16x9 still have it? (1 Viewer)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I'm getting the Mits WS-55809 delivered on Saturday, and just came across someone talking about red push on the Mitsubishi sets. Is this still a problem? How do you fix it?
Thanks,
theJrod

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Video is always converted to RGB in order to display on the picture tube. Red push occurs when this conversion process* is deliberately made incorrect so that flesh tones are more appealing.
Almost always there is no true correction, just compromise workarounds.
I am not sure what makes and models have red push, and how bad.
* In the TV set broadcast video always becomes composite video. Composite video always becomes S-video. S-video almost always becomes component video even if your set does not have the ability to take in component video from your DVD player. Component video is then converted to RGB. Red push usually occurs during the S-video to component video transition. This transition can be likened to a blind painter using a circular palette (color wheel). The tint control acts as if to rotate the color wheel causing all colors to shift. In red push the color wheel is off center so it is not possible to make all the colors right at the same time by manipulating the tint control. There are also red, green, and blue controls at the back of the set but with red push, manipulating these will still not make everything absolutely right at the same time.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on September 07, 2001 at 08:03 AM]

Yes the 55809 and all the Mits have a Red Push problem. The older pre 99 models were able to be tweaked but the 2000 and 2001 models so far cannot with user or service access controls.
The easy fix on Component inputs is to buy a simple red push attenuator for about $35.00 or build one yourself for much less. This fixes Red Push on component inputs but not on the other inputs (SVideo, etc.)
There is a permament fix. Some guys have built an interface that connects to a computer and reprograms the internal eproms which control the color decoders. Some of the ISF's are already fixing sets with this method. This is not approved by Mitsubishi but does work. It requires specific software that I believe is publicly available - I would warn however that this is not a fix for the average tweaker - better to leave this to the pros. You would hate to scramble the brains of your set and never get it back!
I plan on having this fix done as soon as I can get an ISF -who has this equipment to come to my home town.
I should also point out that almost all TV's have a Red Push issue to some extent. This is not a Mitsubishi only issue. I personally don't find it all that objectionable and you can make it more viewable by turning contrast down and color saturation. In other words - you may never find it that much of an issue. I do like the look of the DVD on component Video with the Red push attenuator. It's best to get the Avia calibration DVD to adjust your contrast, sharpness, colors, etc. This really helps and is easy to do.
I also push the tint up a little from center on the non - component inputs, even though this will throw other colors off by compensating this way.
I hope this helps - also check out www.hometheaterspot.com -as the other poster suggested, there is a ton of info on this issue on that forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks