What's new

What is a good receiver match for these speakers? (1 Viewer)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this has been addressed before. I have polk all around. I have an older Denon receiver which I am going to be replacing soon. I'm looking at Yamaha(rx3200) right now, but I see Circuit City seems to be matching their Polk's with Harmon/Kardan and Onkyo's. For any polk owners, what receiver in YOUR opinion matches well will polk speakers?

Charles

My system:
Denon avr1700(soon upgrading)
rt1000i(fronts)
cs400i(center)
f/x500i(sides)
svs 25-31pci(sub)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I just listend to the HK AVR320 and Onkyo txsr600 on polks yesterday. Both sounded great.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I think Circuit City matches Polks with h/k and Onkyo just because that's what they sell. They certainly have no better reason than that.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Charles

I agree with Camp, Thats what circuit city sells.

Personally I have Polk 800's in the bedroom driven on a Denon AVR-65 (70wpc x6) and they sound fantastic. I did have them on our main system which is an Onkyo TxDs 797 and they sounded great there as well. I did have to remove them from this system as I added a set of Klipsch speakers and they ended up "drowning" out the Polk's. I eventially went to all Klipsch on our main system. I am a big fan of Polk though.

I agree with Anthony as well. The Denon 3802 is an excellent choice and I feel slightly better than the Onkyo 797. Currently I have had the 797 for 8 months and am already considering, 1. 4802, 2. 5800, 3. seperate 5 channel Amp.

I guess what I am saying is get the most that you can afford and you will not second guess yourself ultimatily costing more money in the short/long term.

Ritesh_M

Grip
charles,

that denon seems like a good choice. alot of polkies have been using denon with the speakers. check out the polk forum on their website. denon seems to be one of the favorites with the polks...

Anthony June

Agent
I have been matching Polk and Denon for years and what you will find is a very nice compliment of bass and midrange as well as a clean set of highs. I Know you will be very pleased with a 3802 or 4802 combination.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Charles,

One additional thing. When I first got my Polk's I cranked the Denon AVR-65 and played for a long time. The speakers handled the unit so well that I fried the AVR-65. I do not know much about the unit except that it came from Sear's in a unit/speaker package. I replaced the speakers. at 70WPC with .07%thd it sounds really great but did not have the volume I was looking for. Anyway I sent the unit to the authorized repair center and they promptly fixed it 1 1/2 years after purchase with no charge. This was over the Christmas holiday and took 6 weeks. It was no big deal to me and I got the unit back almost to the day that they said they would.

I'm not touting the discontinued AVR-65 at all, however, I am touting Denon as a company that stood by their unit even though I put it through the paces it was not designed for.

As I said before it is now in the bedroom with the Polk's and it is very warm and rich.

Phil

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't make any difference. There is nothing idiosyncratic about Polk speakers that would indicate any special receiver requirements.

Mark Haver

Grip
Denon seems to be the receiver of choice on the club polk forum. I just got a 3802 for my polks but have not had the time to hook it up. I have time aside this weekend for the
switch. I'm replacing a jcv9010 (only had it a month) that sounded pretty good but I knew the polks could do much better. I did have time to unpack the 3802 and set it on the dinning room table just to admire. Man, I got it bad!!

Mark

Anthony June

Agent
Norm,
Their are differences in A/V rec. that bring out different things. Yamaha sounds fantastic with Klipsch.
Denon sound good with Klipsch.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot guys. I've been away for a little while. Like I stated before I still have the avr1700, 70x5. I don't know how much power it's putting out with all 5 channnels driven. I'm just thinking a different receiver will do my Polk's more justice. And with a newer processor, their might be a difference in sound. Anyone using a Yammy? Thanks.

Charles

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Charles,
I don't want to sound like a smart ass but....

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I don't believe that there is any data to support the statement that certain receivers sound "better" with different speakers. This is a purely subjective belief. I am sure that there are differences in the sound, but it boils down to your ears vs. my ears.

Make a list of the speaker and receiver combinations you want to hear, gas up the car and audition as many as you can.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Frank,

I plan on auditioning a few receivers. It's been hard at the same time to choose, because I know you can't have your cake and eat it too. I don't take it as you being smart...but you haven't read any discussions talking about the sound Klipsch and Paradigm get when paired w/ certain receivers? I was only trying to get some validation to this point, that's all. I'm trying to start a debate. I take all feedback to be helpful to me.

Charles

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Frank,

Trying this weekend to get my local Tweeter's to let me do it. You know they have Yammies, Denon's , and Elites. I talk to a friend of mind who works there. He was telling me that they don't really promote in home auditions, but I know him and since they do offer 6 months upgrades on receivers, there are loops holes to it. Man, when are the other Elites coming? They carry them, but the 47x 49x are a bit out of my price range right now since I'm about to get this new car.

I might try something new and go to local authorized dealers and see. I also want to try Marantz(8200).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks