What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
Oh my, my 5.1 DVD-A collection just increased by 8 discs...I just realized that I have this stuck in with my CD's... granted, they are dual discs (CD on one side, DVD-A on the other) but they should be pristine, as I only ripped the CD sides and put them on the shelf.
THAT is so strange. As soon as I read this part of your post I realized that I've had two of the big Genesis boxes set aside unopened! :biggrin:

I got them on some great clearance sales a while back and haven't yet cracked them open. Of course, it's the third set (of their '70s output) that I really want. But I've got to get started on these other sets!

I've had the CD/DVD sets of Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. And they are both excellent. I've played them a lot. Really good multi-channel mixes.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Trick Of The Tail is one of my favorite albums. It helped ween me off of AM radio in the mid 70's. The last Genesis album with Steve Hackett on guitar (check out some of his solo albums like Cured) and the last real progressive Genesis album before they went more mainstream. I don't have the Genesis boxed sets but I do have the Trick Of The tail DVD-A. Great stuff.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I missed the Genesis boxes. I would like to hear some of their 80's recordings in 5.1.

I am ripping the Talking Heads discs for my streaming hi-res collection and for iTunes. I should never start a project like this in the middle of the night!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
OK, here's something for a Jethro Tull fan...I just received a second replacement disc for my bad copy of Thick as a Brick. It features hi-res stereo and 5.1 mixes. If you want it, PM me your contact information.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I did recently buy some Talking heads DVD-A's that are out.. I really liked them they sounded great for an older recording still fascinated by the quality of some of those analog recorders..I would like to still get the Genesis Box Set and the Doors Waiting for the sun..

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Since my Dylan SACD windfall, I decided to complete the collection with the new Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Volume II and The Basement Tapes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tim Glover said:
I've become a Diana Krall fan. :) late to the party.The Girl In The Other Room is a GREAT dvd-audio disc!
Better late than never, Tim. I have my ticket to go see Diana in concert this October! 4th row center! :thumbs-up-smiley:

She's got a number of great DVD-As and SACDs, too. The Look of Love, Love Scenes, and When I Look in Your Eyes are among them. She also has some great 5.1 DVDs and Blus out, too (Rio, Montreaux & Paris)!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve:

Do you have this Blu-ray? Would you recommend it for the casual fan?

71H25wKn%2BLL._SL1500_.jpg

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yes, I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk. It's quite good. Shot on film (looks like 16mm), so it grainy. The music is great!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got Mofi's Cahoots by The Band. I hope that all the stuff they claim is coming out today, 2 July, actually does.....If so, I'll be ordering some more.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Hi! I've been just lurking for the past few years. The new Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo album is magnificent and sounds great. I picked it up as a 24/96 Apple Lossless download from Linn Records.It's a little folky and a bit country-ish, and the Red Clay Halo alternate between being a three piece string section and accordion/violin/bass. I saw them described as Chamber Folk once and thought it was appropriate. I haven't bought anything hi-res since Bowie's Stage, but this may have re-opened the floodgates. Ruh roh, Shaggy.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Just replaced my DVD of Peter Gabriel's New Blood live with a blu ray instead, lossless 5.1. Haven't listened yet, but the DVD was pretty good in itself, and I remember the WOW! when doing the same replacement with Sting's Symphonicities live in Berlin, so I am looking forward to firing this baby up.

edit: so now I have watched, and more importantly, listened to it, and it really was WOW, again. Absolutely fantastic stuff, must have been magic so have actually witnessed it live.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw New Blood Live when Gabriel toured in the Dallas area. It was a smaller venue, the acoustics were nice, and I remember the bass of Intruder. It was body-shaking. Ranks up there, maybe higher, than the Growing Up Live tour which I saw in 2003.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Listening to my hirez Talking Heads rips of Fear of Music and Speaking in Tongues. Through the DAC at 24bit/96kHz, over the headphones, sounds real good.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Mike F.: Where did that copy of Beck's Guero (with the beige, non-Super Jewel packaging) that you posted two pages back come from? I see the MLP logo on the back so I am assuming that it is a DVD-A.Steve T.: Thanks for the mention that Nile Rodgers is on Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. Loves me some Niles and his presence on that record makes me even more inclined to get that record as soon as I can squeeze it in.

Noticing that the number of copies for less than $40 on Amazon Marketplace was dwindling, after years of hearing good things I finally recently got Elton John's Peachtree Road SA-CD. I have yet to give it a sit-down, dedicated listen to really grip the surround mix but after only two casual listens I am thoroughly enjoying the production, songwriting and infectious melodicism. It's like old school EJ with a Southern flair. There are a couple of tracks on there that got me emotional without even knowing all the lyrics, such as "Freaks In Love." EJ's vocal delivery is in fine form on that one, especially.

Looking forward to getting the Oblivion (Tom Cruise) Blu-ray--out this past week--eventually since, in addition to enjoying the spectacle of the film, it features a lossless iso track of M83's score.Random: I'm tired of how high the prices remain for so many DVD-As and SA-CDs I want are (e.g., Toys In the Attic) so I have continued buying plain' old CDs used more than any other medium ironically--about two per month.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Paul.S said:
Mike F.: Where did that copy of Beck's Guero (with the beige, non-Super Jewel packaging) that you posted two pages back come from? I see the MLP logo on the back so I am assuming that it is a DVD-A.
Hey, Paul! Got it on eBay from a seller called micksmuse. DVD-A it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks