What's new

What happened to LIVE (the band)? (1 Viewer)

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I've been a fan since Throwing Copper, and while their sound has changed with each album since then, with V it just seems like they shoved a bunch of lyrics and instruments in a blender and this what came out.
+ The songs that don't have terrible lyrics are ruined by bad production (does anyone other than Ed like those Indian instruments?)
+ Ed cannot rap, nor can he sing as high as he attempts to sing on half of this album.
+ There is a thirty-second intro track by Tricky. 'Nuff said.
+ Not only does Ed name five or so artists in People Like You, he actually mentions the name of his own band. I thought that was just something Limp Bizkit did.
+ Anytime there's a lyric about love, it's gag-inducingly schmaltzy.
After The Distance To Here I had high hopes for V, but overall it's a disappointing album. Some songs have still managed to grow on me, but I can't help but think about how much better this album should have been.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I was a huge fan of Live's first album until two things occured:
1. I actually saw them play, um...live. They are easily the most boring live band I've ever seen. Maybe I caught them on an off night but they certainly didn't live up to their name.
2. I heard an interview with Ed K. (their lead singer) where he actually said the band writes lyrics with the intent to make money instead of making any artistic statements.
They certainly need to be in the business of making money but the interview made them sound like assembly line music rather than music by artists.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Definately Throwing Copper is an incredible disc. I don't listen to much of the entire length but 3 or 4 tracks blow me away. I remember when Lightning Crashes was doing the top 40 thing and how much I never cared for it.
Now I think its pure genius.
I heard material since then and have not cared for it. I guess even the big fans like you feel the same way. I know what let down is like, my favorite band, INXS, released Full Moon Dirty Hearts after a great CD called Welcome to Wherever You Are. Full Moon was terrible, except one song with Ray Charles in it. And then he hung himself. *sigh*
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Dave, "Overcome" is on Live's new album, V. It's on sale this week at Best Buy for $11.99 and Kmart for $11.88. (Best Buy advertises a bonus track, but it doesn't appear to be exclusive - copies at my local Kmart had it as well.)
A word of warning, though: "Overcome" is widely considered to be the best track on V, but none of the other songs on the album sound anything like it. Live didn't have any plans to release singles from V in the U.S., but since the terrorist attacks brought "Overcome" into the spotlight so much, it's possible that that could change.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I was pleasently surprised to see this on the shelves on Tuesday. I didn't know that it was coming, and hadn't heard anything on the radio (not that I've been listening).
I've only listened to it a few times, but I think it's pretty good actually. It's certainly no Throwing Copper or Mental Jewlery, but certainly better than The Distance to Here (which to be honest, I don't think I gave much of a chance).
There's a few odd things in it, but overall I think it plays pretty good. One of the few CDs I've bought lately that I don't feel the need to start skipping songs.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks