What's new

What Films Have Been Parodied the Most? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Was just thinking of what films have been spoofed the most in other films and television. Thought it might make a good discussion.

I think "2001, a Space Odyssey" is one of the heavier ones. I see many parodies in "The Simpsons" for example in the "Brother Can You Spare two Dimes" Episode when Homer sits in the vibrating chair is directly spoofing the end of 2001. This is just like in the "Lisa's Pony" ep they do a spoof of "The Dawn of Man Sequence" when Homer is an ape who disturbs the Monolith.

I think "The Matrix is up there too, with that Matrix kick appearing all over the place.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I read somewhere that the Royale with Cheese scene from Pulp Fiction is one of the most parodied scenes in movie history. Of course that's just what I heard. My votes:

-Jaws (Always with the music and or the fin. e.g: Airplane!)
-Star Wars (Something about "I am your father" or something about the Force)
-Indiana Jones (Something with the rolling rock. See Toy Story.)
-E.T. (Usually it's about the fingers touching)
-Citizen Kane (Usually about Rosebud)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
couldnt you count in Matrix? They started the bullet time and at least I, whenever I see bullet time I think Matrix..... (ie Max payne,simpsons,scary movie)
(after re-reading your post I see you counted in Matrix)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The Godfather, Casablanca, and Gone With the Wind have all been parodied huge numbers of times. I'm sure we'll start seeing Lord of the Rings parodies before too long :)

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
The 'I wish I was never born' concept of It's A Wonderful Life has been used so many times it's impossible to keep count. I mean, just how many tv specials have been parodies/homages to this movie? Hundreds I reckon.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My favorite 2001 parody can be found in the opening scenes of The Groove Tube, a brilliant spoof on "The Dawn of Man." I liked another that I saw on MST3K, and yet another on Futurama.

James T

Screenwriter
Star Wars is probably the most parodied. Matrix is still going strong. For awhile there was Titanic.

I bet there's gonna be LOTR coming soon.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I know the Simpsons already did a Gollum Parody in an episode last season. If I'm not mistaken, it actually was Andy Serkis doing the voice. And who could could South Park's episode long Parody of "Lord of the Rings"

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
9 posts deep and no one has mentioned "Saturday Night Fever"?

That finger-pointing dance that Travolta did has been spoofed so many times it's not funny anymore. We get it, guys...It's irony. Ha ha. Hee hee. Ho ho. Hoo Hoo.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Also, "Scarface" (the 1983 version) has been spoofed quite a lot recently.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
-Risky Business (At least Bob Seger must be enjoying the music royalties :p))

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I second the Taxi Driver one...I see it in soooo many cartoons and comedies. Hell I think even Finding Nemo does it!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have to put my 2 cents in with the Star Wars parodies as being the most parodied.

We should even start a thread about all of the Star Wars parodies we can remember. The more obscure, the better...

My addition would be "Cheers" where Norm has his mouth in an empty beer mug and says (to Woody) "Luke, I am your father"

:)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I don't think someone saying "Luke, I am your father" as a one-shot joke on a sitcom counts as parody. That's just a cultural reference. A parody of "Luke, I am your father" would be more like Buzz Lightyear and Zurg in Toy Story 2.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
On multiple Simpsons commentary tracks, Matt Groening and company say you could edit scenes from various episodes together and remake Citizen Kane in its entirety.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know what your saying, but can't a parody also be a reinactment of a scene from a movie to get a laugh? (which was the case with Norm mocking Woody)

Actually, the line "Luke, I am your father" isn't an exact quote from Empire, so it's really more of a parody than a reference :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Is that the one when they are "Driving" past Jupiter and there is a Monolith floating there with an "Out of Order" Sign on it

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I would say the 007/Bond Series. At the very least the first four films have been parodied almost every year in one form or another, SNL - Married With Children - The Flintstones - The Simpsons etc. etc. ..the list is endless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks