What's new

What ever happened to Sony? (1 Viewer)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Are they still in the TV on DVD business? Other than Barney Miller, I can't think of any announcements they've made since the summer. Have they given up? Are they going Fox on us? Are they trying to surpass Universal as the new kings of one and done?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

See Hank. I told you Sony was at the bottom of the heap. Although I debate it in my mind every time a post comes up about the worst studio, I still seem to always come back to Sony. I still say they have too many classics sitting in their library, doing nothing but collecting dust, to rate them any better than Fox, Universal or WB. Until I get "Father Knows Best" (through them or Shout! Factory), "The Donna Reed Show", "Dennis the Menace" and many others that Sony controls, I'm keeping them at the bottom of my personal rating list.

Gary "can't get over how pathetic they really are right now when it comes to vintage TVonDVD" O.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
The last classic tv-on-dvd announcement they have made prior to Barney Miller recently was I Dream Of Jeannie and that was ages ago. It has since been released and faded into the shelves of dvd-carrying stores. Many fans are clamouring for more Facts Of Life. Personally, I would love to see more FOL and definitely more Hart to Hart, another best-seller. I've kinda given up on them at this point. They don't seem to be doing much business in this department.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Re: What ever happened to Sony?

I've already answered that question in this HTF post. Hope that helps.

I'm thinking that this thread should possibly be merged into that thread, since it's basically the same question.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
We discussed the reasons for this. It may be their personnel shake-up, or it may be that Blu-Ray has usurped resources that TV-DVDs might have otherwise gotten.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My answer, to be honest, wasn't about the lack of Sony announcements recently. I was just being a bum. When Sony comes up I generally do that because I honestly do feel they are allergic to their black & white catalog of vintage shows.

Gary "I knew about the shake-up, per Dave's recent comments in another thread, and I am sure that's the reason we haven't heard more about some 70's and 80's releases. However, I don't think it's the reason we haven't heard about any 50's or early to mid-60's releases - those aren't coming regardless, unfortunately" O.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I hope they get things straightened in the near-future, they have way too many classic shows up in the air with more seasons to come, I'd get rid of 50% of my collection to complete Facts Of Life before 2010

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I won't even go there anymore..
Too many posts about Sony crapping out in the last while.
Hopefully they'll get their stuff together before we all get frustrated and tell them to stick it..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks