What do i need to get HDCD?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BrianEK, Aug 17, 2003.

1. BrianEK

BrianEK Stunt Coordinator

To get HDCD do you have to have both a HDCD capable cd player and reciever? or can it just be one or the other? I have an Onkyo txds-797 and was contemplating a Harman Kardon 5-disc cd changer that has HDCD decoding. Can I do this to get HDCD or do i have to have a HDCD capable reciever too?

2. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Just an HDCD capable player. I don't believe there is such a thing as an HDCD capable receiver.

3. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

I believe some of the upscale HK receivers (HT not stereo) support HDCD through digital connections. If you don't have HDCD decoding in the receiver you must connect an HDCD-capable source through analog cables. With a HDCD-capable source/DAC and analog connections, it doesn't matter what receiver/preamp you use.
    Windows Media Player 8 and 9 support HDCD. Component players which do are :

HK FL8380 ($100, refurb)
    Denon DCM-380 ($300)
    NAD c541 ($425)
    Music Hall CD-25 ($600)
    Rotel RCD-971 ($500)

Of these, IMO the Music Hall sounds best (esp. imaging) in the store.

Sathyan

4. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

My HK AVR-525 receiver decodes HDCD. Not sure if any other brand of receiver does.

5. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Sorry my bad. H&K it is.

6. BrianEK

BrianEK Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at getting the HK FL8380 because of it's HDCD, so from what you are saying Sathyan, I can get HDCD with any reciever but I need to hook up the L/R analog cables instead of the Digital connection? isn't the digital coax connection it has make it sound superior to analog connection? So if HDCD sounds better, but i have to use analog connections, do I lose quality any time I ever listen to a normal cd since I'm not using the digital connection?

7. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

BrianEK, at some point in the chain there has to be a digital to analog conversion. This can take place at either the DVD-Player or the receiver. You don't necessarily lose quality just by passing analog from your DVD-Player, in fact you gain HDCD in your example.