What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (3 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And just what's wrong with chili and chicken livers for breakfast? Sounds super duper to me!!

I used to eat an entire can full (16 oz - what would be considered two servings these days) of Kelly's brand chili with beans for breakfast on Saturday mornings - I'd use almost a half a loaf of white bread sopping up the juice. Just thinking about it makes me wonder why that type of breakfast (not to mention the 1/4 of a cake "portion" I normally consumed not long after the chili/bread along with a tall glass of cold whole milk) didn't make me so large I couldn't make it through a door without "sucking it in" but I was rather thin in those years... (the cans were white back then, the image looked more appetizing than now, and it's a 15oz. can - but it's still around and tastes pretty much the same based on the last time I had some - but it's been a decade or two since then):

1655735469940.png

These days I can put on a couple of pounds just thinking about such a breakfast... though I do now have a kind of hankerin' for a serving...

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
And just what's wrong with chili and chicken livers for breakfast? Sounds super duper to me!!

I used to eat an entire can full (16 oz - what would be considered two servings these days) of Kelly's brand chili with beans for breakfast on Saturday mornings - I'd use almost a half a loaf of white bread sopping up the juice. Just thinking about it makes me wonder why that type of breakfast (not to mention the 1/4 of a cake "portion" I normally consumed not long after the chili/bread along with a tall glass of cold whole milk) didn't make me so large I couldn't make it through a door without "sucking it in" but I was rather thin in those years... (the cans were white back then, the image looked more appetizing than now, and it's a 15oz. can - but it's still around and tastes pretty much the same based on the last time I had some - but it's been a decade or two since then):

View attachment 142322

These days I can put on a couple of pounds just thinking about such a breakfast... though I do now have a kind of hankerin' for a serving...
Hopefully your bathroom had police tape around it afterwards...

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal--
Only you could describe paring down 183 screen caps to a mere 62 as "whittling".

Nice commentary on one of TZ's most memorable episodes, though.
LOL, thanks Russ. I just wanted to make sure that both you and Howie were aware of the HTF Testing area for all your future photo essays.
Great Scott! That is hilarious!!

Do you think Roy Thomas, Len Wein and John Romita Sr. created Wolverine based on The Beaver's hair comb?

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Doctor Who - 17.1 "Destiny of the Daleks"
Recently received my S17 Collection Blu-Ray set, and dove right into this inaugural 4-part serial, the last written by Dalek creator Terry Nation, which was broadcast from Sept. 1 to Sept. 22, 1979. After a relaxed, slightly throwaway opening that sees the debut of the elfin Lalla Ward as Romana II (taking over from the departing Mary Tamm), the story settles right down into a serious adventure tale featuring the return of not only the Doctor's number one foes, the Daleks, but the madman who created them in the first place - Davros (now played by David Gooderson).

The TARDIS lands on the desolate and ruined planet Skaro, once the homeworld of the progenitors of the Dalek race. The Doctor (the inimitable Tom Baker, on peak form) and Romana soon find that the Daleks have returned to Skaro in search of Davros, who has been buried for centuries in the subterranean city chambers deep beneath the planet's surface. The Daleks, strategically locked for years in a galactic struggle with another robot species, the Movellans (basically human-style androids decked out in white jumpsuits and sporting Rick James-like wigs), need Davros' help to break the stalemate. The Movellans have their own - and equally rapacious - agenda. The Doctor, Romana and a group of enslaved human captives must find a way to defeat both enemies and prevent the destruction of the planet.

destiny10.jpg

While not in the same league as Nation's earlier story which first introduced Davros, the stone-cold classic "Genesis of the Daleks" from S12, "Destiny" is nonetheless a fun adventure romp in its own right. It benefits greatly from atmospheric (and extensive) location shooting in Winspit Quarry, Dorset, a solid script leavened with just the right amount of wit (mostly courtesy of the wide-eyed, mercurial Baker), some nicely suspenseful cliffhangers, and, best of all, memorable verbal fencing between the Doctor and the megalo-maniacal Davros. S17 is notorious for a number of reasons, one of which being the fact that crippling inflation at the time caused the BBC to slash the show's already meager budget...so all credit to producer Graham Williams and his team for ekeing a decent amount of production value out of less than ideal circumstances. The location work adds a lot, as does the simple yet visually striking design of the Movellans (one of whom is played by the equally visually striking Suzanne Danielle).

View attachment 142043

Adorable pixie Lalla Ward subtly evokes some of her predecessor Mary Tamm's aloof, regal mannerisms, gradually evolving into her own unique take on the character: less glamorous, more brittle, yet also impishly playful and resourceful. Longtime Who fans know that the chemistry evident onscreen between Baker and Ward was genuine off screen as well, as the two actors were in the process of falling in love (this becomes even more obvious in the story which immediately follows this one, the glorious "City of Death"). Alas, the couple's eventual marriage was contentious and brief. So too was the relatively serious vein of Who storytelling which opens this season, under script editor Douglas Adams, with rampant silliness waiting in the wings in the back half. But both "Destiny of the Daleks" and especially "City of Death" are worth the price of this set alone, as far as I'm concerned.

171.jpg

As usual, the team behind these BBC Blu-Ray collection releases have went all out, not only spiffing up the audio and visuals to the nth degree (including newly-created special effects for the serial, plus numerous audio options), but also loading each disc up with a plethora of special features, some new for this release, as well as most of the DVD edition extras being ported over. So on the "Destiny" disc alone, we get (deep breath): the original DVD commentary with Lalla Ward and director Ken Grieve, plus a new commentary on episodes 1 and 4 with actor and Who expert Toby Hadoke and Master T. Baker himself; a newly-produced, 45-minute "Making of" documentary ("Return to Skaro"); an older 30-minute piece on writer Terry Nation; another on the history of The Daleks; the requisite - and delightful - "Behind the Sofa" feature, which sees various classic Who alums watch a cut-down version of the story and comment on it; numerous other short docus; assorted contempory ephemera, such as two pieces from the children's series Blue Peter; a segment on the series from the newsmagazine Nationwide; misc. trailers and continuity announcements; a large photo gallery; production subtitles; and a huge batch of PDF archive material, including scripts, studio floor plans, memos, a Fourth Doctor scarf pattern, etc. and etc. Once again, it's highly doubtful that any other TV series in the history of physical media has received anywhere near as much TLC and bonus content as is lavished on these classic Doctor Who Blu-Ray season sets. 'Tis a beautiful thing.
I really have to start picking these up. The series was such a staple of my teen-hood and some of the best times with friends.

Lalla Ward was sooooo cute and with a great screen presence. This was a fun era for the "Doktah."

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Episode Commentary
Wings
"Emotionally Yours" (S5E17)

This was one of the more successful shows from the 90's by way of launching a number of its cast members into bigger and better things--Tim Daly, Thomas Hayden Church and Tony Shalhoub most specifically. I'm kind of disappointed that Crystal Bernard, who I considered to be a talented and attractive actor, never found any solid footing after the series' end. Set in a small commuter airport in Nantucket that services such jet lag routes as Martha's Vineyard to New Bedford, the show focuses on two pilot brothers, Joe (Tim Daly) and Brian (Steven Weber) who operate Sandpiper Airlines--consisting of one twin engine Cessna, a mechanic and a gate operator (Rebecca Schull), who's sort of a B-level Betty White. Stories take place mostly on a stage set consisting of one boarding gate and a lunch counter. The set decoration budget must've run nearly $100.
I always thought Wings was underrated even at the time. I didn't care for the actor changes however. It took me awhile to like Tony Shalhoub's character* especially since the addition of his name to the opening credits changed the opening to a fully-recorded theme with nice images (often shortened for reruns) into one of those 5-second display-the-title-only openings. I didn't like when Thomas Haden Church left (for Ned and Stacey) and was replaced by some comic I don't remember who didn't last long anyway. And I didn't like when Farrah Forke was replaced by John Ritter's future wife Amy Yasbeck, whose character I didn't particularly like (and I didn't think she was as attractive as Forke). Still, I always liked the series which will forever live in the shadow of Cheers and Frasier.

*It was the Roy-clipping-his-toenail episode that turned me around with Antonio's response "I believe this is yours?"

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Randall kindly reminded me that, while I was waxing rhapsodic about the late Andra Martin, another beauty of the small (and occasionally big) screen had also passed away last month. Linda Lawson, former Vegas showgirl turned actress, died on May 18 at age 86, leaving behind numerous credits on many classic TV shows...and some more recent ones, such as appearances on That's Life, Without a Trace and E.R. in the early 2000s. So here's my single episode homage to Ms. Lawson's career, as well as her sultry good looks. (Screencaps below taken from a decent-looking copy on YouTube.)

main title.png

Horton credit.png

Wagon Train - 4.6 "Princess of a Lost Tribe"
I can well imagine the varying levels of bemusement and consternation with which this episode was doubtlessly greeted upon its airing on November 12, 1960. Many viewers perhaps wondered if they had somehow ended up watching a rogue hour-long episode of The Twilight Zone as this most atypical Wagon Train story unspooled before their eyes. For it is indeed a strangely mystical, offbeat and - for me at least - beguiling dark fairy tale, a far cry from the usual western doings on this and the two dozen or so other westerns crowding the airwaves at the time.

The episode opens with some poetic pre-credits narration, by one of the more thoughtful, sensitive and intelligent heroes found among the small screen cowboys, Robert Horton as scout Flint McCullough, setting up the doomed romance to come:

"Sometimes even now in my sleep, I hear her say my name, in that soft, incredible voice that was like a drift of music...and then I see her looking down at me again through a mist of moonlight, and an old longing stirs within me, and an old wound burns...Lia...Lia...how cold and empty the night when the warm dream vanishes and there is no comfort - only ruthless reality."

As no local Indian guides are willing to do so, due to tribal superstitions, Flint has been tasked by Major Adams (an unseen Ward Bond) to lead an expedition up into the mysterious Haunted Mountain, in search of the father of Mike Kelly (Edward Mallory), who disappeared in the area two years before. Accompanying Flint and Mike are two other men - Carl "Dutch" Anders (Frank Jenks), essentially a mercenary up for any job if the price is right, and John Miller (Chet Stratton), a professor of ancient history, on sabbatical from his university, whose brother was found dead at the foot of Haunted Mountain some time ago, with a 400-year-old knife clutched in his hand.

While camped in the foothills, Flint meets what at first seems an enchanting apparition, as if from a dream: Lia (Linda Lawson, never lovelier), nubile princess of a long-hidden Aztec tribe, her father, Montezuma IX (Raymond Massey), descended from a long line of royalty generated by a splinter group who fled 400 years earlier from the rapacious Cortez and his conquistidors. These remnants of a lost tribe discovered a secret valley hidden away up in the mountains and hewed a formidable city out of the rock, continuing the old ways of worship and the customs and traditions of their ancestors.

apparition.png
lawson at pool.png
flint at pool.png

mountain pass.png

city 2.png

Montezuma deems Flint and his party blessed by the gods and allows them to enter the city. Lia, who has established an immediate sensual rapport with the handsome Flint, leads the men up a narrow, treacherous mountain pass, through a long tunnel, past a waterfall into the secret valley that holds the fabulous clifftop city of her people. Montezuma receives them with benevolence, but seems reticent to answer their questions about the whereabouts of Mike Kelly's father. Meanwhile, Flint finds himself falling more and more deeply for the bewitching, ethereal beauty, Lia...but a forbidding dark cloud hangs over their budding romance. For Lia, rapidly approaching her 18th birthday, has been chosen from birth as the bride of the god Quetzalcoatl, meaning she is to be the centerpiece of the Aztec's next blood sacrifice. Lia is calmly resigned to her fate, considered the greatest honor among her people...but can the mortified Flint persuade her father the emperor, a principled man who dearly loves his daughter, to turn against centuries of tradition and halt the sacrifice?

montezuma court.png

flint lawson almost kiss.png
montezuma watching.png

lawson closeup1.png

lawson1.png

Flint1.png

What a special piece of work this episode is. I can certainly understand how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. There's almost no action to speak of, and a more unusual episode of a classic TV western you'd be hard pressed to find. But what an interesting, literate and philosophical tale, with echoes of the sort of lost race/lost civilization fantasies prevalent in the 1920s and 1930s, particularly reminiscent of the heady pulp adventures of A. Merritt, with a dash of James Hilton's Lost Horizon thrown in for good measure. Jean Holloway wrote the script, and it's a delicate, wistful piece, which touches upon themes of faith, contrasting Flint's Christianity with the Aztec's pantheism. (A side note: Holloway also penned the Dr. Kildare Christmas episode "Season to Be Jolly," much lauded around these parts.)

ceremonial chamber.png

flint on steps.png

climax take 2.png
farewell.png
holloway credit.png

Wagon Train's comparatively lavish budget results in some nice spectacle here, including some nifty opticals depicting the Aztec city, plus elaborate costumes and sets, peopled with numerous extras. Linda Lawson, not quite 18 (she was 23 at the time) but able to pass for younger, looks stunning throughout, and gives an effective, wise-beyond-her-years performance. Raymond Massey's innate power and dignity as an actor transcends his ornate headress and skirted costume (plus his lack of any resemblance to an actual Aztec). Horton does his customary fine job in the lead, appropriately tender and courtly in the romantic interludes with Ms. Lawson, and resolute in his quest to discover the truth about Mike's father. About the only mild complaint I might lodge against this episode is that it's really too short to do full justice to some of the supporting characters...after a few short scenes of introduction, the other three members of Flint's party barely get a look in, the lion's share of screentime being given to Horton and the two main guest artistes. Overall, though, this is an intriguing slice of vintage television, one which will linger in my mind for a long time to come.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Randall kindly reminded me that, while I was waxing rhapsodic about the late Andra Martin, another beauty of the small (and occasionally big) screen had also passed away last month. Linda Lawson, former Vegas showgirl turned actress, died on May 18 at age 86, leaving behind numerous credits on many classic TV shows...and some more recent ones, such as appearances on That's Life, Without a Trace and E.R. in the early 2000s. So here's my single episode homage to Ms. Lawson's career, as well as her sultry good looks.

View attachment 142417
View attachment 142416

I can well imagine the varying levels of bemusement and consternation with which this episode was doubtlessly greeted upon it airing on November 12, 1960. Many viewers perhaps wondered if they had somehow ended up watching a rogue hour-long episode of The Twilight Zone as this most atypical Wagon Train story unspooled before their eyes. For it is indeed a strangely mystical, offbeat and - for me at least - beguiling dark fairy tale, a far cry from the usual western doings on this and the two dozen or so other westerns crowding the airwaves at the time.

The episode opens with some poetic pre-credits narration, by one of the more thoughtful, sensitive and intelligent heroes found among the small screen cowboys, Robert Horton as scout Flint McCullough, setting up the doomed romance to come:

"Sometimes even now in my sleep, I hear her say my name, in that soft, incredible voice that was like a drift of music...and then I see her looking down at me again through a mist of moonlight, and an old longing stirs within me, and an old wound burns...Lia...Lia...how cold and empty the night when the warm dream vanishes and there is no comfort - only ruthless reality."

As no local Indian guides are willing to do so, due to tribal superstitions, Flint has been tasked by Major Adams (and unseen Ward Bond) to lead an expedition up into the mysterious Haunted Mountain, in search of the father of Mike Kelly (Edward Mallory), who disappeared in the area two years before. Accompanying Flint and Mike are two other men - Carl "Dutch" Anders (Frank Jenks), essentially a mercenary up for any job if the price is right, and John Miller (Chet Stratton), a professor of ancient history, on sabbatical from his university, whose brother was found dead at the foot of Haunted Mountain some time ago, with a 400-year-old knife clutched in his hand.

While camped in the foothills, Flint meets what at first seems an enchanting apparition, as if from a dream: Lia (Linda Lawson, never lovelier), nubile princess of a long-hidden Aztec tribe, her father, Montezuma IX (Raymond Massey), descended from a long line of royalty generated by a splinter group who fled 400 years earlier from the rapacious Cortez and his conquistidors. These remnants of a lost tribe discovered a secret valley hidden away up in the mountains and hewed a formidable city out of the rock, continuing the old ways of worship and the customs and traditions of their ancestors.

View attachment 142418 View attachment 142419 View attachment 142420
View attachment 142421
View attachment 142423

Montezuma deems Flint and his party blessed by the gods and allows them to enter the city. Lia, who has established an immediate sensual rapport with the handsome Flint, leads the men up a narrow, treacherous mountain pass, through a long tunnel, past a waterfall into the secret valley that hold the fabulous clifftop city of her people. Montezuma receives them with benevolence, but seems reticent to answer their questions about the whereabouts of Mike Kelly's father. Meanwhile, Flint finds himself falling more and more deeply for the bewitching, ethereal beauty, Lia...but a forbidding dark cloud hangs over their budding romance. For Lia, rapidly approaching her 18th birthday, has been chosen from birth as the bride of the god Quetzalcoatl, meaning she is to be the centerpiece of the Aztec's next blood sacrifice. Lia is calmly resigned to her fate, considered the greatest honor among her people...but can the mortified Flint persuade her father the emperor, a principled man who dearly loves his daughter, to turn against centuries of tradition and halt the sacrifice?

View attachment 142430
View attachment 142424 View attachment 142425
View attachment 142426
View attachment 142440
View attachment 142441

What a special piece of work this episode is. I can certainly understand how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. There's almost no action to speak of, and a more unusual episode of a classic TV western you'd be hard pressed to find. But what an interesting, literate and philosophical tale, with echoes of the sort of lost race/lost civilization fantasies prevalent in the 1920s and 1930s, particularly reminiscent of the ripe pulp adventures of A. Merritt, with a dash of James Hilton's Lost Horizon thrown in for good measure. Jean Holloway wrote the script, and it's a delicate, wistful piece, which touches upon themes of faith, contrasting Flint's Christianity with the Aztec's pantheism. (A side note: Holloway also penned the Dr. Kildare Christmas episode "Season to Be Jolly," much lauded around these parts.)

View attachment 142431
View attachment 142437
View attachment 142434 View attachment 142435 View attachment 142436

Wagon Train's comparatively lavish budget results in some nice spectacle here, including some nifty opticals depicting the Aztec city, plus elaborate costumes and sets, peopled with numerous extras. Linda Lawson, not quite 18 (she was 23 at the time) but able to pass for younger, looks stunning throughout, and gives an effective, wise-beyond-her-years performance. Raymond Massey's innate power and dignity as an actor transcends his ornate headress and skirted costume (plus his lack of any resemblance to an actual Aztec). Horton does his customary fine job in the lead, appropriately tender and courtly in the romantic interludes with Ms. Lawson, and resolute in his quest to discover the truth about Mike's father. About the only mild complaint I might lodge against this episode is that it's really too short to do full justice to some of the supporting characters...after a few short scenes of introduction, the other three members of Flint's party barely get a look in, the lion's share of screentime given to Horton and the two main guest artistes. Overall, though, this is an intriguing slice of vintage television, one which will linger in my mind for a long time to come. (Screencaps above taken from the YouTube copy.)
A touching tribute to a surreal episode. Miss Lawson is looking down with pride!

Beautiful Jeff!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

For it is indeed a strangely mystical, offbeat and - for me at least - beguiling dark fairy tale, a far cry from the usual western doings

airing on November 12, 1960. Many viewers perhaps wondered if they had somehow ended up watching a rogue hour-long episode of The Twilight Zone
Ah, this episode worked it's magic on you, Jeff! Likewise on me with my coincidental viewing last week in my Wagon Train season four DVD set, consisting of more recent and pristine 35mm film transfers thankfully provided by Universal to Timeless for that release in 2011 (same with season three, as not all of TMG's Wagon Train season sets look this good).
Raymond Massey's innate power and dignity as an actor transcends his ornate headress and skirted costume (plus his lack of any resemblance to an actual Aztec).
Yes, as with my first viewing of this offbeat episode years ago, I was expecting to laugh at him. Instead, being the classically trained Shakespearean actor (Stratford Festival) that Raymond Massey was, he completely draws you in with his sheer gravitas and convinces you that he is heir to the Montezuma royal lineage in a secret, hidden Aztec city in the old West! An accomplished Golden Era of Hollywood actor (Things To Come, 49th Parallel, Battle Cry, East of Eden, Etc.) , nominated for an Oscar in 1941 for Abe Lincoln in Illinois, he has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He's of inestimable value to his hallmark TV series, Dr. Kildare, and always delivers. Hailing originally from Canada, Raymond Massey's brother Vincent Massey was the Governor General of Canada, the Queen's official representative and head of state in Ottawa when Princess of a Lost Tribe first aired in 1960.
Linda Lawson, not quite 18 (she was 23 at the time) but able to pass for younger, looks stunning throughout, and gives an effective, wise-beyond-her-years performance.

Linda Lawson sure delivers a very touching and convincing performance, as do all the principals in this cast. She is a beauty worth remembering, and a fine actress when given the chance to shine.
But what an interesting, literate and philosophical tale, with echoes of the sort of lost race/lost civilization fantasies prevalent in the 1920s and 1930s, particularly reminiscent of the heady pulp adventures of A. Merritt, with a dash of James Hilton's Lost Horizon thrown in for good measure.
I agree Jeff, you can't but help think of Lost Horizon while watching Princess of a Lost Tribe. And it's a tribute to this Wagon Train episode that Hilton's great novel and Frank Capra's wonderful 1937 movie come to mind. Your professorial eloquence should compel others to view it on YT!
this is an intriguing slice of vintage television, one which will linger in my mind for a long time to come.
As you said Jeff, this story weaves some mystic whimsey into a beautiful story worth the treasure of it's discovery!

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Last week's schedule. Bold are shows that stood out.

Monday
Gidget
(6.8 IMDB) All the Best Diseases are Taken (7.0 IMDB) Season 1 Episode 10 I don't know why this show only lasted one season
The FBI (7.4 IMDB) How to Murder an Iron Horse (8.0 IMDB) Season 1 Episode 13

Tuesday
NCIS New Orleans (6.8 IMDB) Follow The Money (7.9 IMDB) Season 3 Episode 10
Benson (7.1 IMDB) The Layoff (8.0 IMDB) Season 1 Episode 6

Wednesday
The Flying Nun
(6.4 IMDB) It's an Ill Wind (6.6 IMDB) Season 1 Episode 11 I wish season 3 was available on DVD
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (8.7 IMDB) The Dancing Men (8.1 IMDB) Season 1 Episode 2 Great episode

Thursday
Doogie Howser MD (6.5 IMDB) Pilot (7.3 IMDB) Season 1 Episode 1
Six Million Dollar Man (7.1 IMDB) Run Steve Run (6.3 IMDB) Season 1 Episode 13 Last episode of season one

Friday
Father Knows Best (7.4 IMDB) The Historical Andersons (7.5 IMDB) Season 2 Episode 24
Star trek Deep Space Nine (8.1 IMDB) The Alternate (6.7 IMDB) Season 2 Episode 12

Saturday
High Chaparral
(7.6 IMDB) The Arrangement (8.7 IMDB) Season 1 Episode 13 I didn't remember how John and Victoria were married

Sunday
Avonlea
(8.5 IMDB) Another Point of View (8.4 IMDB) Season 3 Episode 5
Dragnet (7.6 IMDB) The Big Search (8.0 IMDB) Season 2 Episode 17

Avonlea (8.5 IMDB) Another Point of View (8.4 IMDB) Season 3 Episode 5
It came down to two excellent episodes from Avonlea and Sherlock Holmes. Like last week the feel good factor of this one tipped the scale in it's favor. I knew it would be good when I saw that Christopher Lloyd was in it. His performance in the NCIS episode "The Arizona" gave me goose bumps, especially when he described what it was like when the Japanese bombed Pear Harbor. Here he plays Alistair Dimple an unemployed Shakespearean stage actor. When Hetty king resigns as the school teacher after being asked to change her teaching methods he see's his opportunity. Desperate for Hetty's replacement newly appointed school board member Alec King hires him with a promise of teaching credentials to follow. What happens next is a complete transformation of the kids attitude towards school and also the mood of the whole town. Using his acting background he gets them ready for the upcoming History Bee against neighboring Markdale school by having them re-enact the historical events. In my favorite scene he even wins over the headstrong Hetty, whom he's replaced, by showing empathy for all the work she's done in her 30 years as a teacher.

This episode had a lot of meat on the bone with plenty to think about. It should strike a chord with anyone who has ever had a teacher that inspired them to do their best. We also get to see just how big an impact one person can make on an entire town. I thought the ending might be a little sad but Alistair shows his perseverance and resiliency when a new opportunity presents itself and he's off to a new adventure.

1655818929269.png

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It took me awhile to like Tony Shalhoub's character* especially since the addition of his name to the opening credits changed the opening to a fully-recorded theme with nice images (often shortened for reruns) into one of those 5-second display-the-title-only openings.

Why would billing Tony Shalhoub at the top of the show change the opening into one of today's blip-style openings?

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Raymond Massey's innate power and dignity as an actor transcends his ornate headress and skirted costume (plus his lack of any resemblance to an actual Aztec).
I dunno, Jeff. Going from Abe Lincoln to an Aztec in a Carmen Miranda headdress, I think Ray might've been in it more for the money than an acting award. He probably wasn't adding this episode to his distinguished list of credits as enumerated by Randall.
Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Father Knows Best
"Country Cousin" (S4E22)

My cousin Warren was just too cool. Having grown up in the big city (Chicago), he was light years ahead of me on the phat meter. Even his older sister was eye-shattering. My Aunt and Uncle showed no signs of such genealogy to create so dazzling kids, being of rather homely and nondescript character. During my teens I would spend two weeks of my summer vacation in their suburban home in trendy suburb Glen Ellyn, finding myself regrettably subjected to the undesirable role of 'dweeb' relative. I was constantly in awe of how much more evolved civilization was in their neighborhood versus my hick town of Indianapolis. New Beatles' records got there first. Hip slang words were being uttered with familiar and easy frequency. Fashion was way ahead of what we had hanging in our closet. Even the Big Macs tasted better. In short, although Warren and I were essentially the same age, I was more like a little brother trailing behind. I eventually recovered any missing Alpha facets when, much later in life, out-of-work Warren came to me looking for a job in my company.

For a long time now, Betty (Elinor Donahue) has been enjoying front-and-center status from her classmates, particularly the boys who aspired to be her back seat Lothario and pressing their class rings into her hot little hand. Imagine Betty's disappointment to learn her country bumpkin cousin Millie was coming to the Anderson home for a visit and attend Betty's junior college. Sharing her bedroom with such a backward gulch hayseed and, worse yet, having to introduce Millie to all her cool friends was beyond the pale. Betty's fab reputation was at stake!
1655908141265.png
1655908155512.png
1655908203438.png

"Hey boys--I'm not wearing any pants!" Betty's reaction; Bud's reaction

Mom and Dad (Jane Wyatt, Robert Young) take umbrage to Betty's uppity attitude, despite addressing their eldest daughter as "Princess" throughout her entire life. Even before Millie shows up, Betty is charged with arranging a date for her cousin to the upcoming school dance. Sight unseen, none of Betty's boyfriends want to dip their toe in the murky waters of a blind date, especially since all of them are vying for the chance to escort Betty to the dance. Not particularly a spoiler alert, Millie shows up--played by the stunning Susan Oliver--and instantly makes Betty look like a Shetland pony. In addition, lacking Betty's snootiness, Millie has the unforced deportment of charm and empathy, putting Betty even more on edge. She soon sees additional trouble ahead when brother Bud (Billy Gray) takes to Millie like a woodpecker to a sequoia. Millie accidently hurts her finger and is sucking on it when Betty introduces her to the gang. You can almost hear the guys' zippers squealing from the pressure of their Desmond Tutus saluting.. Everyone is smitten and quickly leave Betty in the dust of nihility.

The Moral: There's no substitute for the three B's of true popularity: Blond, blue-eyed, big boobs...

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Why would billing Tony Shalhoub at the top of the show change the opening into one of today's blip-style openings?
I don't know. Maybe it was just a coincidence that it happened at the same time. Maybe they couldn't fit his name into the original opening without a major edit they weren't interested in doing. Maybe they were tired of the opening taking so much time (so much that it was shortened for reruns) and wanted to get into the episode faster.

Often I comment on two things that happen at the same time. For example, I frequently state that I think M*A*S*H went downhill after BJ grew a moustache, or the same for Mad About You after the baby was born. It doesn't mean I don't like moustaches or babies, just that it's a mnemonic for what part of the series I mean. But it just seemed the reason for the shorter opening for Wings was the inclusion of Tony Shalhoub's name.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Millie shows up--played by the stunning Susan Oliver--and instantly makes Betty look like a Shetland pony. In addition, lacking Betty's snootiness, Millie has the unforced deportment of charm and empathy, putting Betty even more on edge. She soon sees additional trouble ahead when brother Bud (Billy Gray) takes to Millie like a woodpecker to a sequoia. Millie accidently hurts her finger and is sucking on it when Betty introduces her to the gang. You can almost hear the guys' zippers squealing from the pressure of their Desmond Tutus saluting.
Good one, Russ! You practically had me spitting my cornflakes all over my keyboard with the Shetland pony bit.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Good one, Russ! You practically had me spitting my cornflakes all over my keyboard with the Shetland pony bit.
Thanks, Jeff. Far be it for me to cause keyboard spew. Actually, I thought "Desmond Tutus saluting" would be the clincher to cause corn flakes passing through one's nose.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Rockford Files
1.8 "Find Me If You Can"
1.10 "The Dexter Crisis"
For several years now, I have owned this series complete on DVD. I had bought the first two seasons on the infamous Universal "flipper" sets when they first came out, and a kind friend had gifted me his single-sided DVD sets of S3-6 after he bought the Mill Creek Complete Series Blu-Ray back in 2017. Since I had all of the episodes (more or less, as some of those on the flipper sets would freeze up midway through an episode), I wasn't in a rush to pony up the cash for the Blu-Ray version. But after much hemming and hawing, I finally got off the fence a while ago and ordered the Mill Creek Blu, and - no surprise - am very glad I did. Not only is this great show deserving to be seen in HD quality in and of itself, but now I can actually watch some of those early episodes that wouldn't play all the way through on DVD in their entirety (such as "The Dexter Crisis," on which more below).

In "Find Me If You Can," a distraught woman (Joan Van Ark, in her first of three appearances on the series) pays Jim Rockford (James Garner) to see if he can track her down. Jim senses that she's in some serious trouble, but she refuses - at first - to tell him just what it is she's running from. Of course, Rockford, being damn good at his job, soon finds out not only who she is (her name is Barbara Kelbaker), but why she's on the lam: turns out she's the mistress of one nasty piece of work, made man Ralph Correll (Paul Michael Glaser, effectively vicious and intense before becoming the lovably scrappy Starsky less than a year later), who she had witnessed killing a rival. Her hiring Rockford has now put the cat amongst the proverbial pigeons, and Rockford needs to use all of his canny wits - as well as his fists - to save himself and his client.

MV5BYTQ0ODY3NjQtNDg2MC00OTJkLTg2MjQtNGI1MjQ0MmJhZWJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzY5MTE3OTQ@._V1_.jpg
MV5BY2E3ZjFkZjQtMjk0YS00ZDUzLTk4ZTgtZjYzYjRhMGJmYTgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzY5MTE3OTQ@._V1_.jpg

MV5BZGI5NjYyZWItZGJiZS00ODc3LTg2MDYtOWE3NzE0ZmFhNzQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzY5MTE3OTQ@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNGI0MjYxNTQtMzZlOC00Zjg5LWE1NzEtNjYzNWRmMzUzYTliXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzY5MTE3OTQ@._V1_.jpg

"The Dexter Crisis" begins with a persnickety business mogul (Tim O'Connor) hiring Rockford to find a young woman named Susan Parsons ('70s babe-o supreme Lee Purcell), who he had purportedly been having an affair with...but, as with all of Rockford's cases, there is much more to his client's story than meets the eye. Jim is forced to team up with the missing woman's cute but annoying roommate, wannabe lawyer Louise Henderson (Linda Kelsey, later one of the regulars on Lou Grant). The trail leads the pair to Las Vegas, where they find Susan idling her days away at a hotel casino's roulette wheel. Rockford channels a bit of his old Maverick gambler persona to cozy up to Susan and find out what she's up to. Meanwhile, Jim notices that an old enemy is also shadowing the woman, hulking rival P.I. Kermit Higby (Ron Soble), who once broke Rockford's nose and threatens to do so again. Rockford deduces that more than thwarted love is behind the various shenanigans going down in Vegas, and that Susan and Louise are in it up to their pretty little necks...

MV5BM2VjZTQyYTktMDYxOC00ZmIyLThhOGMtYjg1OGM4MjY0N2RlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzY5MTE3OTQ@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNWY3NjI2OTAtNTU0NC00NjYxLWE2MTctNmNlZjYxNDU1NWMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzY5MTE3OTQ@._V1_.jpg
MV5BMTQ1NzY4NjUtOTk2OC00ZTljLThlNjUtMTJhY2MwNjQyMDU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzY5MTE3OTQ@._V1_.jpg

Both episodes are strong early entries in the series, with "Find Me If You Can" coming across best for me, with its more serious and dramatic storyline, putting Rockfish in real life-and-death situations, while "The Dexter Crisis" is more of a lighthearted romp. Both feature smart scripts with sharp dialogue, solid supporting casts, good action and car stunts, and lots of neat location filming all around Los Angeles (and an added bonus in "The Dexter Crisis" of seeing Las Vegas depicted in all its seedy, pre-Disneyfied glory). And best of all, front and center in nearly every scene, is the wonderfully relaxed, charismatic and endlessly watchable Garner.

While I still think the DVD transfers look fine, especially on midsized and smaller monitors, there's no doubt that the transfers on Mill Creek's Blu-Ray set are a significant upgrade, especially when viewed on large screens (for example, I watched "The Dexter Crisis" on a 120" screen via my HD projector, and it looked just great, especially in terms of background detail, i.e. signs, storefronts, textures on clothing, hair, scenery, etc.) Highly recommended for those who love this series and have yet to upgrade.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Have Gun - Will Travel
The Walking Years (6.25) Elena Willard, Hal Needham, Gary Walberg, Jacqueline Wilson. A letter from a friend brings Paladin to a bar where he is drugged. He then finds himself in a locked room for punishment.

Sweet Lady Of The Moon (6.26) Crahan Denton, Harry Carey Jr., Robert Stevenson, Richard Shannon, Dorothy Dells. Mental disability in the old west. Can someone be reformed and trusted after they have brutally murdered people. Paladin is not sure, but he will give him the benefit of the doubt.

The Savages (6.27) Patric Knowles, Judi Meredith, James Griffith. Once again, mental health issues are at the forefront of this episode with a teen who is anti-social (autistic), but artistically challenged. Interesting episode.

Eve Of St. Elmo (6.28) Warren Stevens, Brett Sommers, Chris Alcaide, George Kennedy. A bitter old man hires Paladin for revenge. Paladin balks and is asked to stay around for an upcoming festival.

Lady Of The Fifth Moon (06.29) William Schallert, Bethel Leslie. Two non-asians playing Asians, it is what it was! Paladin agrees to help a woman escape from an arranged marriage and must then provide protection as she journeys to the coast to board a ship to China.

Two Plus One (6.30) Rex Holman, Gail Kobe, Susan Silo. Paladin saves a young Indian princess who then hangs around as a servant. This throws Paladin an issue as he is trying to have a second date.

The Black Bill (6.31) Faith Domergue, Carlos Romero, Nacho Galinda. Paladin receives a letter from an old girlfriend asking for a visit. Turns out, it was a set up from her husband. He is jealous of Paladin and has challenged hime to a "bullfight". This fight is between the two of them.

Face Of A Shadow (6.32)Lee Van Cleef, Enid James, Rayford Barnes, Roy Barcroft, Harry Carey Jr., Nestor Paiva. Paladin and gypsies. Exploration of the prejudices that gypsies encountered due to their vagabond nature. Paladin changes alleigances and aids the gypsies to see justice served.

It has been a great ride through the old west with the super intelligent Paladin. Sad to see the end of the series. On to other classic series.

The Virginian
West (1.10) Steve Cochran, Claude Akins, Allen Case, James Brown, Leo Gordon, Russell Thorson, Richard Reeves. Trampas gets nvolved with three older cowboys who can't adjust to the changing west. Fun for a while until the guys begin breaking the law in small ways thinking that a positive outcome would clear their misdemeanors. We know how this one will end.

The Devil's Children (1.11) Charles Bickford, Charles Aidman, Burt Brinckerhoff, Carl Reindel, Joan Freeman. Are we victims of our past? Dan's (Brinckerhoff) father was a hanged horse thief and when the Shiloh barn is burned, he is already convicted in the eyes of the townspeople. The barn was torched by Tabby (Freeman), her father (Bickford) can't accept that his daughter is evil. A ranch hand (Aidman) fired and accidentally injured Tabby that led to her death. Her father want revenge on the shooter and Dan, who was seeing Tabby secretly.

Fifty Days To Moose Jaw (1.12) Brandon de Wilde, James Gregory, H. M. Wynant, Willis Bouchey, Frank Overton. A chance to do their version of Rawhide with guests interrupting the drive. A well told tale of a fractured family finding balance and understanding on the trail to Moose jaw.

The Waltons
The Conflict (3.1) Morgan Woodward, Beaulah Bondi, Richard Hatch, Paul Fix, Mills Watson, Bill Erwin, Bill Quinn, Lindsay Jones. Double length episode. The government is forcing mountain folk to move from their ancestral lands in order to build the Blue Ridge Parkway. Boone Walton (Woodward) and his Mother, Martha Corrinne (Bondi) are dug in and are ready to take up arms. Tragedy brings the fight to a conclusion when John-boy is injured.

The First Day (3.2) Ted Eccles, Devon Erickson, Lawrence Dobson, MariClare Costello. John-boy has problems on his first day of college involving a professor, registration, his car and a co-ed. He has to come face to face with his heritage as a country boy.

The Thoroughbred (3.3) Kathleen Quinlan, James Gammon, Brendan Burns. Local mountain race with the Walton honor at stake. Turns out that a classmate of John-boy is the race owners daughter. A rich friend of John's enters a thoroughbred in the race where John-boy is riding a mule.

The Runaway (3.4) Geoffrey Lewis, Ann Noland, Herbert Nelson, Elizabeth Kerr. Jim-Bob runs away from home and creates turmoil for the family.

Rawhide
Incident Of The Prodigal Son (5.4) Gene Evans, Carl Reindel, Frank Wilcox. They find a young man half baked at a water hole. His attitude gets him off to a bad start with the men except for old horse wrangler Sam Hargis. The kid Ben Whitney is a rich kid but he does his job and develops a relationship with Sam. Sam has issues with Mr. Favor.

Incident Of The Four Horsemen (5.5) Claude Akins, John Dehner, Robert J. Wilke, Ron Hayes, Jena Engstrom, Roberto Contreras, Myron Healey, Edward Faulkner. The herd is caught in a possible range war over land and a woman. Favor needs additional drovers to push the herd out of the area but unknown to him the four men he is able to hire are pushing him into the war and want his herd as well.

Incident Of The Lost Woman (5.6) R. G. Armstrong, Fay Spain, Harry Dean Stanton, Hampton Fancher, Roy Engel. Favor finds a passed out woman and her baby in the wilderness. The lady recovers and tells Favor her husband is dead and she is headed to California. She neglects to tell him the grandfather and uncles of the baby are after the baby.

Incident Of The Dogfaces (5.7) James Whitmore, John Doucette, Steve Brodie, Robert Stevenson, Ford Rainey, William Wellman, Jr. The drovers rescue soldiers under Indian attack. Chief Broken Bow (Rainey) surrounds the herd. Favor finds Sgt. Duclos (Whitmore) was involved with the death of the Chief's son and wife. The Chief takes a settler's (Stevenson) wife and son hostage forcing the Sgt's hand.

The Fall Guy
The Snow Job (1.16) David Hedison, Anne Lockhart, Susanne Reed, Morgan Woodward, James Wainwright. A philandering senator with delusions of being Governor (Hedison) and bankrolled by men who wish a gambling license (Woodward) are discovered by the wife (Lockhart), a former girlfriend of Colt's. Circumstances bring them together to face the Senator and avalanches he starts. Lots of fake skiing in this one elevated by Anne Lockhart's cuteness.

Guess Who's Coming To Town (1.17) Albert Salmi, Bert Freed, John McLiam, Jason Evers, Joey Forman, Amanda Horan Kennedy. Simply catching a runaway forger uncovers plenty of small town corruption. Always a pleasure to see Albert Salmi pop up in various episodes of classic tv.

Child's Play (1.18) James Booth, Buck Taylor, Dana Hill, Dick Durock. Cute "kid" episode with a minor appearance from Buck Taylor as a wayward dad and potential state's witness.

Charlie (1.19) John David Carson, Bruce Gordon, Archie Hahn, Jock Mahoney, Tricia O'Neil, Asher Brauner. An episode centering on a "Stuntman" convention. Colt's former partner is in town to help her brother who has conned the Mob (Gordon). Nice to see him after watching so many episodes of The Untouchables.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
"Jonah and the Whale"

Written by Shimon Wincelberg
Directed by Sobey Martin
Guest Star: Gia Scala

The Seaview hosts soviet scientists Katya Markhova (a blonde Gia Scala) and her fiancée Alexi to recover the remains of a Russian deep sea lab which was destroyed by migrating whales. Alexi is killed in the first dive (just before the credits), so Admiral Nelson (Richard Basehart) take the diving bell down but are swallowed by a giant whale before they can return to the safety of the sub. Captain Crane (David Hedison) leads a rescue party into the belly of the whale.

The first color episode of Voyage and it's a smash. Easily one of my favorite episodes. A great script, fantasitc effects and rapid fire direction - along with a crazy good score by Jerry Goldsmith make this one of the best and most well remembered episodes of the series.

It seems like every time I post about this series, I get a response or two telling me how lousy the show is. This is a top tier episode and if this one doesn't appeal to you, then this ain't your kinda show. But if you like colorful spectacle that transcended what was visually possible on television before, with good actors, then give this one a go and forget your troubles for 50 minutes.

Snapshot000004_2.jpg
Snapshot000005.jpg
Snapshot000003.jpg
Snapshot000001.jpg
Snapshot000007.jpg
Disbelief... 'Jonah & The Whale'.jpg
Diving Bell's grabbed by Whale!.jpg
Gia Scala 'Missile 'Room.jpg
TVG3.jpg
TVG4.jpg
TVG5.jpg
TVG6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks