What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (5 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
The Burns and Allen Show
"Ronnie Meets Sabrina" (S6E3) - 1955

I admit I'm a pretty old dude, yet this series barely registers in my TV consciousness since I was only 1 years old when it began in 1950 on ABC. Still, the theme song resounds in my memory from years of having been lulled to sleepy time while my parents guffawed loudly at George and Gracie's antics. So I recently recorded a few episodes off MeTV just to jog a gray cell or two.

Announcer Harry Von Zell is literally being buttered up like a piece of toast over lunch with aspiring and conniving actress Sabrina Doyle (Paula Hill), who's looking for an "in" to show biz. Also showing up is Ronnie Burns, George and Gracie's real-life son, who was obviously being groomed by them and the studio into a Ricky Nelson-type idol. (Displaying about as much acting talent as road gravel, Ronnie quickly retired to raising horses on a ranch in Doofusville, AZ.) In the meantime, Sabrina takes a shine to him.

upload_2020-1-26_11-15-59.jpeg
upload_2020-1-26_11-16-43.jpeg
upload_2020-1-26_11-17-57.jpeg
upload_2020-1-26_11-18-45.jpeg

Harry Von Zell; Ronnie Burns; Judi Meredith, Paula Hill

Cut to Gracie having bought a load of sandwiches for Ronnie's college acting class, causing George to grumble about their cost. This simple act becomes the centerpiece of the entire plot. Appearing as TV stars within their own TV show, we're to believe George Burns could give a rat's patootie over the cost of a few sandwiches. Of course, Gracie justifies the cost with her patented upside-down logic that defies human comprehension. An interesting aspect of the show had George often breaking the fourth wall and speaking directly to the camera, ever present cigar in hand. Apparently it was felt necessary for him to occasionally recap the events for the audience's sake, as if the scripts were too complex for us to follow. It did, however afford us the opportunity to see the comedian's masterful timing and phrasing. George Burns was among the best there ever was.
"As a kid growing up, no one ever taught me about the opposite sex. By the time I was 16, I figured out girls were one ones dancing backwards."

Rumor gets around that Harry Von Zell had lunch with a girl half his age--with all that entails. Gracie and her neighbor Blanche (Bea Benaderet) chatter like magpies over what they consider to be a scandalous situation. Harry was just hoping to help Sabrina into show biz through his association with George Burns. It doesn't work, so Sabrina sets her sights on Ronnie to help wedge her slinky self into stardom. As a result, Ronnie must pass up a date with girlfriend Velma (Judi Meredith) and an exciting night of a bongo drum session to be with Sabrina. Filth and deprivation was sure to ensue. Such was stuff of comedy scrips in the 50's.

Notes:
Ronnie Burns, the adopted son of George and Gracie Allen, didn't make his appearance in the TV show until 1955 and already a young man, thus forcing a rather tepid explanation as to why he was never mentioned by the family before. "He was away at school" was the best they could come up with. It was necessary to inject a bit of youth into the aging cast in hopes of sustaining ratings. Unfortunately, the Ricky Nelson effect didn't take hold here, and the series faded away by 1958. George Burns, unfazed, continued a huge career until age 100.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
The Wild Wild West
3.6 "The Night of the Arrow"
Neither of these WWW episodes could be claimed as series' best, but they are typically solid and lively entertainments, and feature appearances by two sexy '60s starlets. "Arrow" is one of those more "western" themed episodes peppered throughout season three, which sees Jim and Artie tasked by President Grant to prevent efforts to instigate a war with the Indians. Robert J. Wilke, in fine snarling form, guests as a bloodthirsty Army general with political aspirations, and Petticoat Junction's bosomy blonde, Jeannine Riley, plays his honey-voiced femme fatale of a daughter. While the plot is nothing special, there's some great action in this one, including a scene where Robert Conrad does a Jackie Chan-style run-and-flip stunt up the side of a tree.

ARROW is a good conspiracy episode about a band of bluecoat putschists disguised as Indians making reference to
the Boston Tea Party historical event and a season 1 episode entitled “The Night of the Double-Edged Knife”
in which Artie plays three funny characters:

1. Lieutenant Jonathan Greeley with his ambivalent blinking eye.
  2. A drunk Canadian trapper.
  3. The Sioux Chief Strong Bear who resurrects from the dead.
One scene remains noteworthy: Jim is stuck in a sulphur pit in which two-timer Aimee Baldwin—the naive daddy's
daughter— flattens Jim’s fingers out with her high heels in a vicious way.

4.5 "The Night of the Gruesome Games"
"Gruesome Games" is better, as Jim and Artie infiltrate an invitation-only party at the home of an eccentric millionaire (played in fun if over-the-top fashion by William Schallert, in his second of three appearances in the series), in order to find a stolen vial of deadly germs. The supposed fun games their host forces his guests to play grow increasingly deadly, and we get more narrow escapes, fights and stunts, including Conrad taking a punch and performing an unbelievable fall and roll straight on his neck that looks highly painful and dangerous. What's even more unbelievable, though, is how the usually predatory West doesn't indulge in even a single smooch with smoking hot co-star Sherry Jackson...he likewise fails to do the same with Ms. Riley in "Arrow." This is something unthinkable for the Jim West of seasons one and two...

GRUESOME is a minor and comical episode that exploits the themes of the contamination through a virus and the treasure hunt.
It's so comical and outrageous that the Chinese bodyguard of infantile millionaire Rufus Kraus is called No-Fun (sic)!
Jim and Artie are cornered in a boobytrapped mansion filled with greedy international guests playing little kids' games like
the musical chairs, the egg and spoon race, hide and seek!
Artie plays the parts of the guest characters: mad scientist Dr. Theobald Raker and Rufus Kraus.
I like the tag scene in which Jim and Artie receive a book from Kraus and throw it out like a curse.
It's more or less a remake of the season 2 “The Night of the Tottering Tontine”.
Directed by Marvin Chomsky from Gunsmoke.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Route 66 - 2.18 "How Much a Pound Is Albatross?"
I can't add much to Randall's excellent and informative overview of this episode. It's indeed a fine showcase for Stirling Silliphant's poetic writing, and for the Amazonian Julie Newmar, who's at her most alluring here. She makes the wide-eyed wild child Vicki a beguiling and tragic siren, without veering into irritating crazy fruit loop territory. It's easy to see why Tod and Buz (and pretty much everyone else she encounters, male or female) become enchanted by her, and it's amusing to see Buz, usually the much smoother operator than straight-laced Tod, fail so spectacularly in his pursuit. Vicki tolerates him until he pushes the sad sack drunk in the bar; after that, he hasn't a chance in hell with her. When Vicki takes Tod on their midnight desert motorbike ride, I did wonder if there was a scene cut or missing from my DVD copy, as there's a fade out as the two stand looking at a distant mesa, then we jump to the next morning, as the sheriff wakes Buz up in his hotel, and we return to a stranded Tod and Vicki. Is there a scene missing here, some further deep Silliphant soliloquizing between the two? And just what did they get up to all night, hmm? (I know what I would have tried to get up to, if I were in Tod's shoes... ;))

A few more comments on this episode. First, the physical production remains very impressive, including the well-staged police chase at the opening of the episode. I especially liked the great bit after Vicki runs Tod's Corvette off the road and into the front of a store, and the two guys watch in growing horror as the store's big plate glass window wobbles ominously, before shattering all across the hood of their car. The climactic search-and-rescue effort is nicely mounted as well. While Buz's atypical romantic ham-handedness seems out of character, Tod's initially bemused then gradually besotted reactions to Vicki are spot on.

This is a very enjoyable, at times joyous episode, that nevertheless isn't afraid to dig deep into Vicki's sadness and sense of loss, an emptiness that can never be filled, no matter her best efforts to outrun her "albatross." The overall final impression we're left with is of this fragile yet resilient free spirit, an ineffable spark of life, constantly questing and questioning, never to be restrained or contained, beautifully portrayed by Miss Newmar. Still images simply don't do her justice.
Jeff, love your review! it is a touching episode, but with many joyous moments as you stated. I checked the running times for How Much a Pound is Albatross? on both the Shout and Roxbury sets. And they are the same at 50:14. That jump you described must be at 31:59, right at a commercial break, where the swelling fanfare of Nelson Riddle and Gil Grau's great music heralds that commercial break? And the fade doesn't seem to be truncated, so I don't think there's anything missing in that episode. Except perhaps what we might have imagined with our dirty minds, ha, ha...among many, I love that scene in the desert where Vicki describes digging two holes, which Tod first reacts to with horror, until Vicki describes how they can cover themselves with sand to survive the daytime heat. Of course, the subtext here is that Tod suspects that Vicki has a death wish, and wants to die, saying "I've never made a boy walk home"...a lot going on in Silliphant's brilliant story! Julie Newmar must have savored this substantive and demanding role, with the many facets of Vicki's complex persona, she really shines in more ways than one. And one of Route 66's best episodes!
Route 66 176.JPG

Route 66 188.JPG

Route 66 195.JPG

Route 66 199.JPG

Jeff and John, I also watched some Wild Wild West recently. Including one of those you just featured...Night of the Gruesome Games...you guys know that I like pretty girls, so I'm not taking any shots of Reggie Nalder, ha!
www 1.JPG

www 3.JPG

www 5.JPG

www 7.JPG

www 10.JPG

And S4's Night of the Egyptian Queen...Pamela Gaston...
www 13.JPG

www 22.JPG
www 26.JPG

www 15.JPG

www 20.JPG

Remember that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Indiana Jones uses a gem to focus a light beam leading him to the next clue in finding the Ark? I wonder if this is where Spielberg got the idea...
www 18.JPG

www 17.JPG

www 24.JPG

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Burns and Allen Show

I admit I'm a pretty old dude, yet this series barely registers in my TV consciousness since I was only 1 years old when it began in 1950 on ABC. Still, the theme song resounds in my memory from years of having been lulled to sleepy time while my parents guffawed loudly at George and Gracie's antics. So I recently recorded a few episodes off MeTV just to jog a gray cell or two.
I'm nearly as old as you Russ! I become more fossilized by the day. And I remember Burns and Allen fondly, a real staple for syndication here in Canada when I was a little kid, and we loved it! Back then, I could hardly imagine anyone funnier than Gracie Allen. I haven't thought about this show for ages. I wish we could get MeTV without jumping through hoops up here in Canada. I'll have to see if I can find this episode and others on Youtube. Anyway, great review as always, and much appreciated!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Episode Commentary
The Burns and Allen Show

Announcer Harry Von Zell is literally being buttered up like a piece of toast over lunch with aspiring and conniving actress Sabrina Doyle (Paula Hill), who's looking for an "in" to show biz. Also showing up is Ronnie Burns, George and Gracie's real-life son, who was obviously being groomed by them and the studio into a Ricky Nelson-type idol. (Displaying about as much acting talent as road gravel, Ronnie quickly retired to raising horses on a ranch in Doofusville, AZ.) In the meantime, Sabrina takes a shine to him.

View attachment 67689 View attachment 67690 View attachment 67691 View attachment 67692
Harry Von Zell; Ronnie Burns; Judi Meredith, Paula Hill

Cut to Gracie having bought a load of sandwiches for Ronnie's college acting class, causing George to grumble about their cost. This simple act becomes the centerpiece of the entire plot. Appearing as TV stars within their own TV show, we're to believe George Burns could give a rat's patootie over the cost of a few sandwiches. Of course, Gracie justifies the cost with her patented upside-down logic that defies human comprehension. An interesting aspect of the show had George often breaking the fourth wall and speaking directly to the camera, ever present cigar in hand. Apparently it was felt necessary for him to occasionally recap the events for the audience's sake, as if the scripts were too complex for us to follow. It did, however afford us the opportunity to see the comedian's masterful timing and phrasing. George Burns was among the best there ever was.
"As a kid growing up, no one ever taught me about the opposite sex. By the time I was 16, I figured out girls were one ones dancing backwards."

Rumor gets around that Harry Von Zell had lunch with a girl half his age--with all that entails. Gracie and her neighbor Blanche (Bea Benaderet) chatter like magpies over what they consider to be a scandalous situation. Harry was just hoping to help Sabrina into show biz through his association with George Burns. It doesn't work, so Sabrina sets her sights on Ronnie to help wedge her slinky self into stardom. As a result, Ronnie must pass up a date with girlfriend Velma (Judi Meredith) and an exciting night of a bongo drum session to be with Sabrina. Filth and deprivation was sure to ensue. Such was stuff of comedy scrips in the 50's.

Notes:
Ronnie Burns, the adopted son of George and Gracie Allen, didn't make his appearance in the TV show until 1955 and already a young man, thus forcing a rather tepid explanation as to why he was never mentioned by the family before. "He was away at school" was the best they could come up with. It was necessary to inject a bit of youth into the aging cast in hopes of sustaining ratings. Unfortunately, the Ricky Nelson effect didn't take hold here, and the series faded away by 1958. George Burns, unfazed, continued a huge career until age 100.
Sometime in the 80s the local PBS affiliate ran The Burns and Allen Show (don't remember if it was every night or just the weekend). I'd seen a few episodes somewhere along the way (probably 60s syndication) so was a bit familiar with it. My wife and I watched it every time we could (we watched a lot of "late night" TV in those years - Perry Mason, a favorite of hers, came on every night at 10:30 and we rarely missed it). Unfortunately those airings came at a time before we could afford a VHS machine so I was never able to build a library of shows. Those airings would have been perfect for that as, being on a PBS station, they had no commercials other than those built into the show (Carnation Milk - from contented cows!).

They had episodes ranging from the days it was performed on stage (complete with a curtain and a "step over" set edge you'd occasionally see when George broke the 4th wall) up through the days of regular sets with George having an office over the garage (I think - it had an outside entrance) where he'd watch some of the goings on on a TV he had set up. He'd sometimes watch a situation, turn to the camera and say something along the lines of "Well... looks like I need to get involved/stop this before it goes too far/etc." We loved them.

Because of those airings I know there are quite usable copies of many episodes *somewhere* just languishing on a shelf. It's a shame they've not seen a release on DVD outside a handful of PD discs.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've been watching The Phil Silvers Show (aka You'll Never Get Rich & Sgt. Bilko) the past week. I'm on S2. Yesterday I watched the episode "Sergeant Bilko Presents Ed Sullivan."

screenshot32-1.jpg

There's going to be a special Army talent spot on the Ed Sullivan Show. Bilko hears about the show and tries out - getting a single note out before the agent stops him and leaves. Of course this has convinced Bilko that he's the star in a big production number on the show. He shows up at rehearsals and pretty much takes over the show, convincing all of Sullivan's production crew the traditional Army numbers are out in favor of a Calypso number Bilko's going to sing. He even convinces Sullivan... or does he?

Sullivan is really good in this episode. Bilko's schmoozing all the staff, calling them out only to do an immediate about face and fawn all over them when he finds out the person he's talking to is the same one he was name calling just moments before. All of the production staff are real members of Sullivan's staff (director, music director, etc.) and do fine jobs. It's a wonderfully fun and entertaining episode and to see Sullivan actually act and do a bit of a tap routine is icing on the cake.

I'm about to watch "Bilko Presents Bing Crosby." It'll be interesting to see how he handles Bing...

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Phil Silvers Show
"Bilko Presents Bing Crosby" is another fun episode.

Bilko's planning a costume ball but the Colonel puts the kibosh on the affair because Bilko's planned for the Colonel and his wife to be James and Dolly Madison - in costume - as the main attraction. He'd love to get some star to make a personal appearance so he can raise the money to restore the funds he's taken from the "hardship fund" box but they're in the middle of Kansas - no one's going to come to Kansas! Then... they happen to read that Bing Crosby is motoring from Hollywood to New York. The route will take him within 35 miles of Ft. Baxter. Bilko calls Crosby's manager and uses a ruse of the soldiers giving Bing an award and he's to receive it personally. When he's told it can't be done he asks for a life size picture so they can see it from the boat while they're leaving for a dangerous overseas assignment. That does it... the manager calls Bing and he agrees. Bilko sells tickets for all kinds of things, seats, hand shakes, lap seats (hey... those front row seats are sold out so you have to sit on someone's lap). Of course, Bing Crosby coming to the fort is a sensation! Bilko could bottle the air from the stage and sell it... But wait... Bing has to cancel! To save the event Bilko brings in a ringer (a guy who's *never heard of Bing Crosby*!!). Will the rubes storm the stage? Will Bilko survive this one? Only Bing knows for sure...

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Episode Commentary
The Burns and Allen Show

I'm nearly as old as you Russ! I become more fossilized by the day. And I remember Burns and Allen fondly, a real staple for syndication here in Canada when I was a little kid, and we loved it! Back then, I could hardly imagine anyone funnier than Gracie Allen. I haven't thought about this show for ages. I wish we could get MeTV without jumping through hoops up here in Canada. I'll have to see if I can find this episode and others on Youtube. Anyway, great review as always, and much appreciated!

Sometime in the 80s the local PBS affiliate ran The Burns and Allen Show (don't remember if it was every night or just the weekend). I'd seen a few episodes somewhere along the way (probably 60s syndication) so was a bit familiar with it. My wife and I watched it every time we could (we watched a lot of "late night" TV in those years - Perry Mason, a favorite of hers, came on every night at 10:30 and we rarely missed it). Unfortunately those airings came at a time before we could afford a VHS machine so I was never able to build a library of shows. Those airings would have been perfect for that as, being on a PBS station, they had no commercials other then those built into the show (Carnation Milk - from contented cows!).

Thanks for the comments on Burns and Allen, guys! I haven't watched this show (I know, unbelievable, right?), but I have listened to many of their old-time radio shows years ago and loved them. The "fourth wall" asides to camera from George sound like great fun. I'll also try and track down an episode or two on YouTube.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
...among many, I love that scene in the desert where Vicki describes digging two holes, which Tod first reacts to with horror, until Vicki describes how they can cover themselves with sand to survive the daytime heat. Of course, the subtext here is that Tod suspects that Vicki has a death wish, and wants to die, saying "I've never made a boy walk home"...a lot going on in Silliphant's brilliant story!

That's funny, Randall! I think I missed that particular subtext of the scene you mention above, and had a completely different read on it...to me, it seemed like Tod (already having been put to work by Vicki on survival preparation), is not pleased at the prospect of having to dig two big holes in that heat. When he finds out the holes are to shelter them somewhat from the blazing desert heat, Tod then suggests that they only need one hole...in other words, they can share a hole together. Vicki gives him a look and Tod resignedly goes off to dig two holes. I read that as a salacious attempt on Tod's part to get some nookie, but now that you point it out, I think your interpretation of that scene is the correct one.

And S4's Night of the Egyptian Queen...Pamela Gaston...
View attachment 67706
View attachment 67708

Pamela Gaston...wowsa! Not sure I've seen this episode, at least not for a long, long time. Think I'll have to check this one out later today...

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

ARROW is a good conspiracy episode about a band of bluecoat putschists disguised as Indians making reference to
the Boston Tea Party historical event and a season 1 episode entitled “The Night of the Double-Edged Knife”
in which Artie plays three funny characters:

1. Lieutenant Jonathan Greeley with his ambivalent blinking eye.
  2. A drunk Canadian trapper.
  3. The Sioux Chief Strong Bear who resurrects from the dead.
One scene remains noteworthy: Jim is stuck in a sulphur pit in which two-timer Aimee Baldwin—the naive daddy's
daughter— flattens Jim’s fingers out with her high heels in a vicious way.

You're right to point out all of Artie's disguises, John...he does have some particularly good ones this episode. However, I wouldn't call Aimee Baldwin (Jeannine Riley) naive...she acts naive, certainly - but she's actually rotten to the core.

vlcsnap-2019-01-04-22h33m03s711.jpg

vlcsnap-2019-01-04-22h34m00s837.jpg

I think we all know what Bob Conrad is staring at...

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
You're right to point out all of Artie's disguises, John...he does have some particularly good ones this episode. However, I wouldn't call Aimee Baldwin (Jeannine Riley) naive...she acts naive, certainly - but she's actually rotten to the core.

Keep in mind I stated that she is a two-timer meaning she pretends to be a naive daddy’s daughter.
I really like when she meets Artie disguised as Lt. Greeley.
All the guest characters (Lt. Rath, Oconee, Aimee Baldwin) are not what they appear to be …
I like when the series plays with simulacrum.

President Grant enjoys “The Night of the Arrow”.
grant.jpg

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Thanks for the comments on Burns and Allen, guys! I haven't watched this show (I know, unbelievable, right?), but I have listened to many of their old-time radio shows years ago and loved them. The "fourth wall" asides to camera from George sound like great fun. I'll also try and track down an episode or two on YouTube.
Offhand, I'd say a Burns & Allen commentary doesn't stand a chance against screen caps of Julie Newmar, Sherry Jackson and Pamela Gaston. And that's as it should be.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Offhand, I'd say a Burns & Allen commentary doesn't stand a chance against screen caps of Julie Newmar, Sherry Jackson and Pamela Gaston. And that's as it should be.
No way, Russ! You add tremendously to the delightful smorgasbord of classic TV offerings here. You are essential to the wacky proceedings. A droid like me can only begin to aspire to your rapier wit and comedic insight. I know you are an amateur comedian, but believe me, they could have used you in the big rooms of Vegas! I am but a mere Shecky to your George Burns masterclass. And, I delight in tracking down scantily clad and/or sexy damsels of television yore in an effort to capture, albeit briefly, the horny mysteries of my misbegotten pre-pubescent and nascent puberty of the '60s. When a Julie Newmar, Anne Helm, Sherry Jackson or Angela Cartwright worked their magic on my feverish brain. For the prurient degenerate that I am, such finds rekindle those memories, at least a pale gleam in my mind's eye.

Please keep posting here, and over in the 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye etc. thread...I need to meet you guys over there with a new post about Surfside 6, complete with my computerized scrapings of screen caps...I'm just lazy, too...a picture is worth a thousand words as they say...

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan

vlcsnap-2019-01-04-22h33m03s711.jpg

vlcsnap-2019-01-04-22h34m00s837.jpg

I think we all know what Bob Conrad is staring at...

Conrad was something of a textile enthusiast and was no doubt wondering about the composition of her wardrobe, nearly flubbing a line while trying to figure out if this particular blouse was silk, synthetic, natural fiber, or a blend.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hawaii Five-O - The Complete First Season
The Ways of Love (1.7) James Patterson, Don Knight. McGarrett goes undercover in a California prison to help a prisoner escape and lead the way to stolen jewels.

No Blue Skies (1.8) Tommy Sands, Sandra Smith. Lounge singer with a business aids a singer/thief who has a gambling problem that keeps him in trouble. McGarrett and the gambling syndicate are after him.

By The Numbers (1.9) Johnny Crawford, Anne Helm, Will Kuluva, Jonathan Goldsmith, James McEachin. Vietnam vets on leave in Hawaii get wrapped up in local gambling and a turf war.

Yesterday Died And Tomorrow Won't Be Born (1.10) John Larch, Vivi Janiss, Paul Picerni, Ellen Corby. McGarrett is out for a morning run and is shot and left for dead. The team goes all in to find who shot Steve.

In preparation for Picard, I watched the following Star Trek:TNG episodes.
The Measure Of A Man (2.9) Amanda McBroom, Clyde Kusatsu, Brian Brophy. Data's uniqueness is scheduled to be studied by Starfleet for the purpose of duplication. He goes on trial to protect his individuality.

I, Borg (5.23) Jonathan Del Arco. A Borg scouting party has been attacked and Picard brings him aboard to attend to his injuries, against his better judgement. Since being unable to contact the collective, a personality begins to emerge.

Descent Part 1, Part 2 (6.26, 7.1) Natalija Nogulich, Jonathan Del Arco, Brian Cousins, Stephen Hawking. Poker, emotion chips and individuality are on the menu courtesy of Lore.

Cannon - The Complete Series
The Island Caper (1.19) Keenan Wynn, James Olson, H.M. Wynant, Jacqueline Scott. A reformed convict with a bright future is coerced into planning a robbery.

A Deadly Quiet Town (1.20) John Larch, John Rubenstein, Louise Latham, Keith Andes. Cannon is hired to investigate a cult, seems to be inspired by the Manson family.

A Flight of Hawks (1.21) Martin Sheen, Percy Rodrigues, Joyce Van Patten, Gerald S. O'Loughlin. A mercenary wishes to take over a small African country.

The Torch (1.22) Larry Blyden, Anthony Zerbe, Richard Carlson. A planned arson goes wrong and ends in murder.

Cain's Mark (1.23) Bradford Dillman, David Birney, Dana Elcar, Carmen Mathews. Illegal weapons smuggling causes two brothers serious issues.

Murder By Moonlight (1.24) Burr DeBenning, Mitchell Ryan, Julie Gregg, Lin McCarthy, Frank Marth. Convicted felon Mike Carr attends college under a prison rehab program. The incarcerated crime boss John Flatow forces Carr to ferry information to and from his outside people. Cannon agrees to help Carr break free of Flatow's control.

Doctor Who - The Complete David Tennant Bluray
Daleks In Manhattan (3.4) Miranda Raison, Hugh Quarshie, Andrew Garfield. In 1930 New York, Martha and The Doctor find strange things under an off Broadway show. These include pig men and Daleks.

Perry Mason - Seasons 7 - 9
The Case of the Blonde Bonanza (8.13) Mary Ann Mobley, Michael Constantine, Bruce Gordon, Vaughn Taylor, Ruth Warwick, Jonathan Goldsmith. A naive, trusing young lady falls victim to a potential blackmail scam as well as a missing father presumed dead.

The Case of the Ruinous Road (8.14) Meg Wyllie, Bert Freed, Les Tremayne, Grant Williams, Allen Case, Joan Blackman. Adam Conrad, a junior engineer for a construction firm having cost issues, is uncovering issues with boss Joe Marshall. Joe frames Adam for embezzling causing Adam to go looking for Joe. Joe is murdered with Adam seen leaving the scene.

The Case of theFrustrated Folksinger (8.15) Gary Crosby, Bonnie Jones, Mark Goddard, Robert H. Harris, Joyce Meadows, John Considine, Leonard Stone. Backwoods Amy Jo Jennings arrives in LA to start a singing career. She is spotted by an agent who signs the naive girl to a contract. In reality she is a wealthy target the agent takes advantage of. When he is killed, she is charged.

Gunsmoke - Seasons 8 - 9
Kate Heller (9.1) Mabel Albertson, Tom Lowell. A young inexperienced man wishes to impress one of Kitty's girls, kills to gain money and then runs injuring Matt. Irony, Matt is brought to his grandmothers home to recuperate. Good episode.

Lover Boy (9.2) Sheree North, Ken Curtis, Alan Baxter. Curtis plays a "love 'em and leave 'em" character - not "Festus". A real change of pace for him. He was effective as a very amoral man. Very good episode.

Legends Don't Sleep (9.3) William Tallman, Scott Marlowe, Hope Summers, James Nusser. An aging outlaw just wants to spend his final years in peace, farming. His past won't let him. A young man trying to find his way is star struck by the outlaw. Another fine episode.

Tobe (9.4) Harry Townes, Mary LaRoche, Philip Abbott, Harry Dean Stanton, L. Q. Jones. An eviction and Chester's good deed start a poor farmer on a tragic trajectory.

This first disc of season 9 contains 4 excellent episodes. Great way to open the season.

Tarzan - The First Season Part 1
The Day of the Golden Lion (1.12) Curt Lowens, Suzy Parker, George Murdock. A golden lion is the prize for tribal olympics, but it is also wanted by criminals.

The Pearls of Tanga (1.13) Jorge Martinez de Hoyos, John Kelly, Carlos Rivas. A Bondian type episode with shades of Thunderball as inspiration.

End of the River (1.14) George Murdock, Jill Donohue, Robert J. Wilkie, Michael Whitney. Tarzan witnesses a plane crash and goes to help the survivors. One needs to get to a hospital in 48 hours or she will die. The others survivors are unidentifiable as to who is the the cop and who is the prisoner.

The Ultimate Duel (1.15) Henry Silva. Man vs. machine. An altruistic scientist wishes to pit Tarzan in an escape test against his supercomputer. Tarzan refuses but is told he will compete anyway. The scientist is frustrated that Tarzan is successful and becomes unhinged as the contest continues.

After all the talk upthread about Wild Wild West, I viewed the two episodes discussed.
The Night Of The Gruesome Games (4.5) Robert Ellenstein, William Schallert, Sherry Jackson. Fun episode and spectacular eye candy.

The Night Of The Egyptian Queen (4.8) Sorrell Booke, William Marshall, Penny Gaston, Walter Brooke. Egyptian artifacts, stolen jewels and the San Francisco waterfront make an intriguing episode.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Tarzan - The First Season Part 1
The Day of the Golden Lion (1.12) Curt Lowens, Suzy Parker, George Murdock. A golden lion is the prize for tribal olympics, but it is also wanted by criminals.

The Pearls of Tanga (1.13) Jorge Martinez de Hoyos, John Kelly, Carlos Rivas. A Bondian type episode with shades of Thunderball as inspiration.

End of the River (1.14) George Murdock, Jill Donohue, Robert J. Wilkie, Michael Whitney. Tarzan witnesses a plane crash and goes to help the survivors. One needs to get to a hospital in 48 hours or she will die. The others survivors are unidentifiable as to who is the the cop and who is the prisoner.

The Ultimate Duel (1.15) Henry Silva. Man vs. machine. An altruistic scientist wishes to pit Tarzan in an escape test against his supercomputer. Tarzan refuses but is told he will compete anyway. The scientist is frustrated that Tarzan is successful and becomes unhinged as the contest continues.
Doug, great roster of shows you're watching, as usual. I watched Tarzan first run as a 10 year old, and don't remember it being among my favorites that fall of 1966. But I'm intrigued by your synopsis of these episodes, and the guest stars. Has it held up for you in relation to your other viewings of Hawaii 5-0, Perry Mason and Gunsmoke? What I mean is, even if it isn't a great show, is it at least reliably entertaining? As a kid, I just couldn't accept Ron Ely as Tarzan (Jeff called his look a little bit too Malibu Surfer like, ha, ha). I might feel different about it now. And I know That I'd have to accept "Africa USA" as actually looking like Sub-Saharan Africa, which it doesn't, another hurdle for me, but a mildly challenging one. Nice place with some real African species, but I remember what Angola looked like when I was in that hell hole for a few weeks in 1975.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A good friend and very knowledgeable member on HTF, Bert Greene, suggested a few Have Gun Will Travel episodes to me as I was casually delving back into that series, previously having seen the whole series on DVD, and also viewing it first run as a little kid. He cautioned me that these episodes were of the unusually grim variety, among the many tragic and violent outings that Paladin had in the long running adult Western series...good thing that the principled Paladin had a strong moral constitution, and a resiliency against taking on other people's grief, from their often senseless deaths...I guess that his alter ego, the intellectually inclined, dandy-about-town ladies man back in San Francisco, allowed him a duality with which to heal his soul...

Have Gun Will Travel S6E26, Sweet Lady of the Moon (March 9, 1963), D: Richard Boone. W: Harry Julian Fink. Cast: Crahan Denton, Richard Shannon, Harry Carey Jr., Dorothy Dells, Robert Stevenson.

Paladin is hired by a state prison doctor (Richard Shannon) to escort a convicted murderer (Crahan Denton), formerly well regarded in his community (including his neighbors played By Harry Carey Jr. and Dorothy Dells), and now deemed by the doctor to have been mentally unbalanced and not entirely responsible for his heinous crimes, to a state mental asylum...the notion of a triple murderer being judged not criminally responsible for his acts in the California of the 1870s or any other state or territory, is the only implausibility in this story...which is indeed, exceedingly grim in it's resolution...Richard Boone himself also directed this episode, which aired 7th to last in the whole series run...you almost get the impression that in knowing that the series was coming to an end, Richard Boone was testing some network boundaries that he wouldn't have gone for in previous years...I could well imagine the reaction of CBS executives and Standards and Practices when they first viewed this one! I'd love to see their memos regarding the production of this episode...

Paladin meets up with the prisoner's heavily armed escort, eager to hand off custody of him to Paladin and the doctor for the rest of the journey to the asylum...they fear their prisoner, locking him up in an iron sweat box, but also fear the many family members bent on revenging their dead that are gathering to attack the group along the way...the grim and angry Sheriff is played by Robert Stevenson...this episode was filmed in the High Sierras near Bishop California...my screen caps from the CBS S6V2 set...no spoilers, so I will say no more...
Have Gun 33.JPG

Have Gun 36.JPG

Have Gun 38.JPG

Have Gun 41.JPG

Have Gun 39.JPG

Have Gun 42.JPG

Have Gun 43.JPG

Have Gun 45.JPG

Have Gun 46.JPG

Have Gun 51.JPG

Have Gun 49.JPG

Have Gun 55.JPG

Have Gun 54.JPG

Have Gun 56.JPG

Have Gun 57.JPG

Have Gun 59.JPG

Have Gun 60.JPG

Have Gun 62.JPG

Have Gun 63.JPG

Have Gun 64.JPG

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Yes, nice write-up on that rather chilling episode, Randall. I always perk up when I see the name Harry Julian Fink as screenwriter, regardless of series. I usually know I'm in for a goodie. I know that when it comes to HGWT, a lot of folks praise Gene Roddenberry's efforts, but honestly, with maybe one exception, his stuff doesn't usually do it for me. I'm definitely a big Fink guy.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Doug, great roster of shows you're watching, as usual. I watched Tarzan first run as a 10 year old, and don't remember it being among my favorites that fall of 1966. But I'm intrigued by your synopsis of these episodes, and the guest stars. Has it held up for you in relation to your other viewings of Hawaii 5-0, Perry Mason and Gunsmoke? What I mean is, even if it isn't a great show, is it at least reliably entertaining? As a kid, I just couldn't accept Ron Ely as Tarzan (Jeff called his look a little bit too Malibu Surfer like, ha, ha). I might feel different about it now. And I know That I'd have to accept "Africa USA" as actually looking like Sub-Saharan Africa, which it doesn't, another hurdle for me, but a mildly challenging one. Nice place with some real African species, but I remember what Angola looked like when I was in that hell hole for a few weeks in 1975.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randall, with this series, my enjoyment is tied to the feelings/memories I have of viewing this Friday evenings with my father and brother. Whne I popped in the first disc and heard the announcer's opening remarks concerning Tarzan (I also enjoyed the more permanent Tarzan march utilized later), I was whisked back to my 9 year old self watching this new weekly Tarzan show. My earliest memories of Tarzan were the various movies that were shown on Saturday afternoons (Jock Mahoney was the most memorable, Johnny Weismuller seemed a bit to comedic to me). I wasn't really tied to any one particular actor. I have finished the first half season and have enjoyed my time spent in pseudo Africa, looking forward to the second half. The stories are rather predictable and if you binge several episodes you will see a lot of repeated stock shots. I have also become a bit better at spotting continuity errors (of which there are plenty). Is it a perfect show? No. Does it hold up to the others you mentioned? Not really. It just takes me back to a simpler time when I watched a show that didn't require massive concentration. It was a show that was very easy to follow. Am I glad I bought the first season (in two volumes)? A resounding yes. Will I pick up the 2nd season? Not sure, maybe if I can find a good sale for a Warner Archive set. The picture quality is average at best, but serviceable. Not sure if this answers your question or not. The show has been worth it for me as it provides me a "comfort food" feeling when I watch.

One interesting sound that I have encountered, whenever the baby elephant roars it sounds just like Turu from Jonny Quest.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Great stuff on Have Gun- Will Travel above, Randall! I really need to get those last three seasons on DVD...

Doug, great roster of shows you're watching, as usual. I watched Tarzan first run as a 10 year old, and don't remember it being among my favorites that fall of 1966. But I'm intrigued by your synopsis of these episodes, and the guest stars. Has it held up for you in relation to your other viewings of Hawaii 5-0, Perry Mason and Gunsmoke? What I mean is, even if it isn't a great show, is it at least reliably entertaining? As a kid, I just couldn't accept Ron Ely as Tarzan (Jeff called his look a little bit too Malibu Surfer like, ha, ha). I might feel different about it now.

I think I've put a plug in for Tarzan before, Randall, but I would say that, while certainly not up to the likes of Hawaii Five-0, Perry Mason and Gunsmoke, it is a fun show that holds up pretty well as a '60s action/adventure series. Despite my ribbing about Ron Ely's surfer dude looks, I think he makes a fine Tarzan, confident and athletic, and is easily the best thing about the show, other than some great guest stars...in true 1960s TV fashion, a real "Who's Who" of typical TV supporting stalwarts (including some real honeys, like Barbara Bouchet, Leslie Parrish, Diana Hyland, Susan Oliver, Diana Ross, Barbara Luna, Judy Pace, Nancy Malone, Gail Kobe, Gigi Perreau, Susan Howard, Pippa Scott and more). It is odd to see Mexico and Brazil doubling for Africa, but on the plus side, there is a ton of exterior filming and Ely is there, running all over hell and gone in just his loincloth - and doing most of his own stunts, getting injured often enough in the process...all in the name of getting some good action in the can. On the negative side, there's a bit too much reliance on Ely's cute kid sidekick, Jai for my tastes. Overall, though, it's a colorful and entertaining watch. Doug's right, it's not a show to be binged, but at a one or two a month pace, it's reliably entertaining, and judging from what I know of your tastes in movies and TV shows, I'd think you'd enjoy it far more now than you did as a 10-year-old.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks