What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (4 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
The Brady Bunch
"Tell It Like It Is" (S2E24)

It's a little known fact that when Forrest Gump said "Stupid is as stupid does", he was referring to this series. True fact. Or at least that's what I heard.

Mike is wandering through the house in the middle of the night searching for wifey Carol. Since we know sex has not yet been invented in the Brady household, he must have been looking for her for less carnal reasons. He finds Carol holed up in the den writing, possibly the first draft of "Hot Pants on Bicycle Seats". No such luck. It's an article for magazine Tomorrow's Woman, circulation 73. She submits the manuscript--a real snoozer about the family--and it's promptly returned with a rejection slip as being "too negative".

Mike tries to cheer her up with photos of guys he's met in sketchy bars, but it doesn't work. The editor further explains that Carol needs to make her article more positive rather than accounts of misplaced underwear, boys who mysteriously take showers longer than necessary and dealing with a cook who can't seem to prepare pressed duck correctly. So Carol rewrites a positively sunny account of the Brady bunch. The editor approves the changes and arranges for a tea at her house so that the publicity team can meet Carol and the family. On the appointed day, the team shows up only to find Carol still in curlers and a robe, and the kids bitching at one another like disgruntled politicians.

upload_2020-1-31_12-50-35.jpeg
upload_2020-1-31_12-51-12.jpeg
upload_2020-1-31_12-51-57.jpeg

Carol reads mike one of the racier passages; the girls try some shots of vodka; Mrs. Brady displays some haute couture

The team decides her story doesn't remotely reflect her toadstool of a family. But not to worry. The editor goes ahead and publishes the article anyway. Rumor has it that she gave him a peek under her robe.

Notes:
When I was in advertising years ago, I was the senior art director on a photo shoot that was to portray Florence Henderson in her very modest childhood home in a small town in Southern Indiana. The house had long since been demolished, so an advance team found a suitable replacement in a remote area near the same town. Given instructions on where to find the house, I was in charge of driving Florence to the site. After hours of going around in circles unable to find the place, Ms. Henderson finally turned to me and said "You don't know where the f*ck you're going, do you?"
My young production assistant gasped out loud "Mrs. Brady!!!"

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Episode Commentary
The Brady Bunch

It's a little known fact that when Forrest Gump said "Stupid is as stupid does", he was referring to this series. True fact. Or at least that's what I heard.

Mike is wandering through the house in the middle of the night searching for wifey Carol. Since we know sex has not yet been invented in the Brady household, he must have been looking for her for less carnal reasons. He finds Carol holed up in the den writing, possibly the first draft of "Hot Pants on Bicycle Seats". No such luck. It's an article for magazine Tomorrow's Woman, circulation 73. She submits the manuscript--a real snoozer about the family--and it's promptly returned with a rejection slip as being "too negative".

Mike tries to cheer her up with photos of guys he's met in sketchy bars, but it doesn't work. The editor further explains that Carol needs to make her article more positive rather than accounts of misplaced underwear, boys who mysteriously take showers longer than necessary and dealing with a cook who can't seem to prepare pressed duck correctly. So Carol rewrites a positively sunny account of the Brady bunch. The editor approves the changes and arranges for a tea at her house so that the publicity team can meet Carol and the family. On the appointed day, the team shows up only to find Carol still in curlers and a robe, and the kids bitching at one another like disgruntled politicians.

View attachment 67904 View attachment 67905 View attachment 67906
Carol reads mike one of the racier passages; the girls try some shots of vodka; Mrs. Brady displays some haute couture

The team decides her story doesn't remotely reflect her toadstool of a family. But not to worry. The editor goes ahead and publishes the article anyway. Rumor has it that she gave him a peek under her robe.

Notes:
When I was in advertising, I was the senior art director an a photo shoot that was to portray Florence Henderson in her very modest childhood home in a small town in Southern Indiana. The house had long since been demolished, so an advance team found a suitable replacement in a remote area near the same town. Given instructions on where to find the house, I was in charge of driving Florence to the site. After hours of going around in circles unable to find the place, Ms. Henderson finally turned to me and said "You don't know where the f*ck you're going, do you?"
How can I "like" this one twice? Once for "Hot Pants on Bicycle Seats" and again for "You don't know where the..." :D

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Watching now on DVD... Paw Paws (Hanna-Barbera, 1985-1986)

1.1 - "The Big Spill" (September 15, 1985)
1.2 - "The Wishing Star Crystal" (September 22, 1985)
1.3 - "The Flying Horse Napper" (September 29, 1985)
1.4 - "The Creepy Cave Creature" (October 6, 1985)
1.5 - "The Greedie Greenies" (October 13, 1985)
1.6 - "The Rise of the Evil Spirits" (October 20, 1985)
1.7 - "The Genie-athalon" (October 27, 1985)

~Ben

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Have Gun Will Travel S2E21, Hunt the Man Down (Feb. 7, 1959) D: Andrew V. McLaglen W: Harry Julian Fink
Cast: Robert (J.) Wilke, James Drury, Madlyn Rhue, Ric Roman.

Like the HGWT S6 episode Sweet Lady of the Moon I posted about earlier, this is another grim and memorable episode suggested to me by valued HTF member Bert Greene. Paladin intercedes into a range war between two brothers, both of whom are close friends from the Civil War...Paladin owes a debt of gratitude to both men also, and hopes to stop this Biblical tragedy from catching more innocents into it's maelstrom...my screen caps from the old CBS/P 2005 season two box set...CBS flubbed this one up, mistakenly transposing Treasure Trail with Hunt the Man Down on disc three...

Paladin arrives in the village of Amanda, and soon after dismounting, finds some local hired guns to be beating up a farmer as part of an organized reign of terror...
Have Gun 68.JPG
Have Gun 70.JPG

Younger brother is played by James Drury...that scar he bears was delivered by the bullwhip of his elder brother...his wife (the lovely Madlyn Rhue), was once engaged to be married to that elder brother!
Have Gun 74.JPG

Have Gun 73.JPG

Rarely do we see a broad smile from Paladin, especially in such a grim story, but nevertheless...
Have Gun 72.JPG

That elder brother...played by epic heavy Robert (J.) Wilke...to me, one of the scariest guys in Movies and TV...he's the top kick open range rancher in these parts, burning out and killing any farmer who puts up a string of barbed wire...and that includes his own brother if need be...he's fond of his bullwhip and is quick to use it...including on old friend and war buddy Paladin...
Have Gun 77.JPG

Have Gun 78.JPG

Have Gun 79.JPG

You should have checked for that Derringer inside his belt...
Have Gun 80.JPG

Have Gun 81.JPG

After burning his own brother out of his house, Paladin gets the drop on him and returns the favor...a taste of his own medicine, from his own bullwhip!
Have Gun 85.JPG

Have Gun 87.JPG

Have Gun 88.JPG

Paladin begs his old friend to come to his senses and let the good people farm the valley in peace...
Have Gun 90.JPG

Have Gun 91.JPG

Have Gun 89.JPG

A promise kept, and now a broken man...humiliated, after having his hired guns run off and being beaten at his own game...
Have Gun 92.JPG

"It had to be done."
Have Gun 96.JPG

"I owed you a favor, and I've kept it."...There might be more than just one broken man...
Have Gun 95.JPG

Have Gun 94.JPG

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Episode Commentary
The Rifleman
"The Conflict" (S5E13)

Episode Commentary
The Brady Bunch
When I was in advertising years ago, I was the senior art director on a photo shoot that was to portray Florence Henderson in her very modest childhood home in a small town in Southern Indiana. The house had long since been demolished, so an advance team found a suitable replacement in a remote area near the same town. Given instructions on where to find the house, I was in charge of driving Florence to the site. After hours of going around in circles unable to find the place, Ms. Henderson finally turned to me and said "You don't know where the f*ck you're going, do you?"

Thanks for the very funny reads, Russ - and for sharing that great Florence Henderson anecdote!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Have Gun Will Travel S2E21, Hunt the Man Down (Feb. 7, 1959) D: Andrew V. McLaglen W: Harry Julian Fink
Cast: Robert (J.) Wilke, James Drury, Madlyn Rhue, Ric Roman.

Like the HGWT S6 episode Sweet Lady of the Moon I posted about earlier, this is another grim and memorable episode suggested to me by valued HTF member Bert Greene. Paladin intercedes into a range war between two brothers, both of whom are close friends from the Civil War...Paladin owes a debt of gratitude to both men also, and hopes to stop this Biblical tragedy from catching more innocents into it's maelstrom...my screen caps from the old CBS/P 2005 season two box set...CBS flubbed this one up, mistakenly transposing Treasure Trail with Hunt the Man Down on disc two...

Wow, this looks like a great episode! I have that S2 set...will check this one out soon. Robert J. Wilke, James Drury, Madlyn Rhue - all being given the gimlet-eyed staredown by the great Richard Boone. I'm there!

Thanks for letting us know about the episode title cock-up on the DVD set, Randall. I would have been very confused otherwise, looking for this particular episode...

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wow, this looks like a great episode! I have that S2 set...will check this one out soon. Robert J. Wilke, James Drury, Madlyn Rhue - all being given the gimlet-eyed staredown by the great Richard Boone. I'm there!

Thanks for letting us know about the episode title cock-up on the DVD set, Randall. I would have been very confused otherwise, looking for this particular episode...
Jeff, I had made a "helpful reminder" post-it note to myself a long time ago and inserted into my first printing HGWT season 2 box set...but of course, it only fell out on the floor to be rediscovered after I'd spent most of an hour to scan all the discs, trying to find the episode I wanted, Hunt the Man Down...

That screen shot of the bullwhip actually cracking on Richard Boone's back and tearing his shirt was lightening fast and tricky to freeze frame...I had to try to capture that precise moment several times...my arthritic flying finger of fate isn't that fast, but I finally got it...
Have Gun 78.JPG

Have Gun 79.JPG

Have Gun 80.JPG

Hunt the Man Down is supposed to be on disc four, but you find Treasure Trail in it's place instead. Naturally, Hunt the Man Down actually can be found on disc three, where Treasure Trail should be...the episode rosters are misleading...when I found that post-it note to myself (it may as well have been an ancient papyrus scroll lost in an Egyptian tomb for all the good it did me), I also remembered that this flub was the subject of lively comment here on HTF about 12 to 15 years ago...long forgotten by me, hence the note to myself...can someone with HGWT season two in a newer printing, or someone with the complete series set confirm that this old mistake from 2005 was corrected?

This flub by CBS/P reminds me of another infamous example...they did the same thing on Gunsmoke season 2, mistakenly putting a season 4 episode that was similarly titled in the place of the proper season 2 episode...they only corrected that mistake a couple of years later with the release of season 4, including the missing season 2 episode as a bonus...they're driving me crazy!

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Jeff, I had made a "helpful reminder" post-it note to myself a long time ago and inserted into my first printing HGWT season 2 box set...but of course, it only fell out on the floor to be rediscovered after I'd spent most of an hour to scan all the discs, trying to find the episode I wanted, Hunt the Man Down...

Hunt the Man Down is supposed to be on disc four, but you find Treasure Trail in it's place instead. Naturally, Hunt the Man Down actually can be found on disc three, where Treasure Trail should be...the episode rosters are misleading...when I found that post-it note to myself (it may as well have been an ancient papyrus scroll lost in an Egyptian tomb for all the good it did me), I also remembered that this flub was the subject of lively comment here on HTF about 12 to 15 years ago...long forgotten by me, hence the note to myself...can someone with HGWT season two in a newer printing, or someone with the complete series set confirm that this old mistake from 2005 was corrected?

This flub by CBS/P reminds me of another infamous example...they did the same thing on Gunsmoke season 2, mistakenly putting a season 4 episode that was similarly titled in the place of the proper season 2 episode...they only corrected that mistake a couple of years later with the release of season 4, including the missing season 2 episode as a bonus...they're driving me crazy!

Thanks for taking one for the team, Randall! Your efforts will not be in vain...I do remember reading something about that egregious Gunsmoke S2 missing episode fiasco...it's one thing to transpose two episodes on the same season set, quite another to leave an episode off the set entirely! At least they included the missing episode eventually.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
January 13th - February 2nd:

Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased): "Who Killed Cock Robin?" (Episode 6, production order, 1969) region-free import Blu-ray
Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased): "The Smile Behind the Veil" (Episode 7, production order, 1969) region-free import Blu-ray
Barney Miller: "The Prisoner" (Season 5, Episode 6, 1978) DVD
Barney Miller: "Loan Shark" (Season 5, Episode 7, 1978) DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati: "The Union" (Season 4, Episode 3, 1981) DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati: "Rumors" (Season 4, Episode 4, 1981) DVD
Columbo: "Troubled Waters" (Season 4, Episode 4, 1975) DVD
Columbo: "Playback" (Season 4, Episode 5, 1975) DVD
The Dakotas: "A Nice Girl From Goliath" (Episode 18, 1963) DVD
Route 66: "Aren't You Surprised to See Me?" (Season 2, Episode 19, 1962) DVD
Route 66: "You Never Had It So Good" (Season 2, Episode 20, 1962) DVD
Gumby: "Weight and See" (Season 2, Episode 63, 1968) DVD
Gumby: "Pokey Minds the Baby" (Season 2, Episode 64, 1968) DVD
Gumby: "A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" (Season 2, Episode 65, 1968) DVD
Gumby: "Grub Grabbing Gumby" (Season 2, Episode 66, 1968) DVD
Gumby: "All Broken Up" (Season 2, Episode 67, 1968) DVD
Gumby: "This Little Piggy" (Season 2, Episode 68, 1968) DVD
Gumby: "Wishful Thinking" (Season 2, Episode 69, 1968) DVD
Gumby: "Turnip Trap" (Season 2, Episode 70, 1968) DVD
Jonny Quest: "Double Danger" (Episode 9, 1964) Blu-ray
Jonny Quest: "Shadow of the Condor" (Episode 10, 1964) Blu-ray
Jonny Quest: "Skull and Double Crossbones" (Episode 11, 1964) Blu-ray
Fantastic Voyage: "The Most Dangerous Game" (Episode 17, 1969)
Star Fleet (X-Bomber): "Wipe Out the Transport Fleet" (Episode 4, 1980) Blu-ray (standard definition)
Star Fleet (X-Bomber): "The Mysterious Ship Skull" (Episode 5, 1980) Blu-ray (standard definition)
Star Fleet (X-Bomber): "X-Bomber Goes Forth" (Episode 6, 1980) Blu-ray (standard definition)
Star Fleet (X-Bomber): "Mortal Combat in the Gravity Graveyard" (Episode 7, 1980) Blu-ray (standard definition)
The Goodies: "Radio Goodies" (Season 2, Episode 1, 1971) R2 import DVD
The Goodies: "The Loch Ness Monster" (Season 2, Episode 2, 1971) R2 import DVD
The Goodies: "Commonwealth Games" (Season 2, Episode 3, 1971) R2 import DVD
The Outer Limits: "Behold Eck!" (Season 2, Episode 3, 1964) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "The Expanding Human" (Season 2, Episode 4, 1964) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "Demon With a Glass Hand" (Season 2, Episode 5, 1964) Blu-ray
The Fugitive: "Crack in a Crystal Ball" (Season 3, Episode 3, 1965) DVD
The Fugitive: "Trial by Fire" (Season 3, Episode 4, 1965) DVD
The Fugitive: "Conspiracy of Silence" (Season 3, Episode 5, 1965) DVD
Science Fiction Theatre: "One Thousand Eyes" (Season 2, Episode 21, 1956) DVD
Science Fiction Theatre: "Brains Unlimited" (Season 2, Episode 22, 1956) DVD
Science Fiction Theatre: "Death at My Fingertips" (Season 2, Episode 23, 1956) DVD
Gunsmoke: "Mavis McCloud" (Season 3, Episode 7, 1957) DVD
Gunsmoke: "Born to Hang" (Season 3, Episode 8, 1957) DVD
Batman: "I'll Be a Mummy's Uncle" (Season 3, Episode 23, 1968) DVD
Batman: "The Joker's Flying Saucer" (Season 3, Episode 24, 1968) DVD
Longstreet: "The Girl With a Broom" (Episode 8, 1971) DVD
Longstreet: "Wednesday's Child" (Episode 9, 1971) DVD
Hawaii Five-0: "The Odd Lot Caper" (Season 5, Episode 18, 1973) DVD
Hawaii Five-0: "Will the Real Mr. Winkler Please Die?" (Season 5, Episode 19, 1973) DVD
Rawhide: "Damon's Road, Part 1" (Season 7, Episode 7, 1964) DVD
Rawhide: "Damon's road, Part 2" (Season 7, Episode 8, 1964) DVD
Rawhide: "The Backshooter" (Season 7, Episode 9, 1964) DVD
In Search of... : "Water Seekers (Dowsing)" (Season 3, Episode 4, 1978) DVD
In Search of... : "Jack the Reaper" (Season 3, Episode 5, 1978) DVD
The Flintstones: "Alvin Brickrock Presents" (Season 2, Episode 4, 1961) DailyMotion

Last edited:

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
The Virginian S1 E05 "The Brazen Bell". With George C. Scott, Royal Dano and Lee J. Cobb in varying degrees of intensity, no one else has a chance to command your attention.
The Virginian S1 E10 "West". With Claude Akins
The Virginian S1 E15 "Duel At Shiloh". Great turns by Brian Keith and Ben Johnson.

Austin City Limits, 1982. Jerry Reed live
Nashville 99 "Fallen Idol". 1977 series starring Claude Akins and Jerry Reed that I had no recollection of but stumbled across, some forced expository dialogue but fun overall and this episode guest starred Lonny Chapman, who was also memorable in a recently viewed "Will Sonnett".

Kraft Suspense Theater S1 E19 "A Case Of Anger". More Brian Keith. Involving, well paced road themed episode.
Name Of The Game 2 E19 "Tarot"

Bewitched "Three Wishes". Mostly of interest due to Linda Gaye Scott.
Hey Landlord - assorted episodes.
Match Game 75. an episode or 2.
VIrginian on DVD, others YT.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Dakotas: "A Nice Girl From Goliath" (Episode 18, 1963) DVD
Route 66: "Aren't You Surprised to See Me?" (Season 2, Episode 19, 1962) DVD
Route 66: "You Never Had It So Good" (Season 2, Episode 20, 1962) DVD
Peter, I recently discovered that Route 66's Aren't You Surprised to See Me? looks much better on the old Roxbury/Infinity DVD release than on the Shout Factory DVDs...and third season's Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma looks great on the older Roxbury set, and is something of a murky disaster on the Shout release...both, probably a few more, that suffer from Shout's decision to cram 5 or 6 episodes on a disc, versus the 4 on all the Roxbury discs...do you have both? I'm sure glad I didn't give away my old Roxbury sets when I got the Shout complete series in order to get season four, finally...good that they subsequently released a stand-alone season four as well...one of my favorite all time shows!

Comparison screen shots, Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma?...this is from the Shout S3 DVD...disc one crammed with 6 episodes, and this one suffers as a result...
Route 66 62.JPG

This screen cap from the old Roxbury/Infinity DVD...
Route 66 1.JPG

And again, Shout DVD top, Roxbury bottom...
Route 66 66.JPG

Route 66 24.JPG

The good thing is that most of the Route 66 episodes look just as good on the Shout sets as they do on the older Roxbury DVDs...but as you can see, some are terrible in comparison, mostly a single episode on a 6 episode disc, some on a 5 episode disc, as with Aren't You Surprised to See Me?

That last The Dakotas episode is one I'm going to post screen caps for soon (love Audrey Dalton as a ruthless, sexy villain) , along with the preceding episode Sanctuary at Crystal Springs...I remember when Warner Archive issued their press release for The Dakotas, I believe they stated that the last two episodes were left unaired in spring 1963? I see that IMDB shows air dates for them all, but that might be wrong. Or perhaps the network (ABC) aired the last two, but many affiliates did not...concerning the cited controversy with Sanctuary at Crystal Springs depicting a hostage taking in a church, and gun play therein...at least that's what a lot of us fans have heard...

The Outer Limits: "Behold Eck!" (Season 2, Episode 3, 1964) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "The Expanding Human" (Season 2, Episode 4, 1964) Blu-ray
The Outer Limits: "Demon With a Glass Hand" (Season 2, Episode 5, 1964) Blu-ray
The Fugitive: "Crack in a Crystal Ball" (Season 3, Episode 3, 1965) DVD
The Fugitive: "Trial by Fire" (Season 3, Episode 4, 1965) DVD
The Fugitive: "Conspiracy of Silence" (Season 3, Episode 5, 1965) DVD
Science Fiction Theatre: "One Thousand Eyes" (Season 2, Episode 21, 1956) DVD
Science Fiction Theatre: "Brains Unlimited" (Season 2, Episode 22, 1956) DVD
Science Fiction Theatre: "Death at My Fingertips" (Season 2, Episode 23, 1956) DVD
Gunsmoke: "Mavis McCloud" (Season 3, Episode 7, 1957) DVD
Gunsmoke: "Born to Hang" (Season 3, Episode 8, 1957) DVD
I admire the sheer variety of great TV that you watch, Peter! I have all of these sets too.

The Virginian S1 E05 "The Brazen Bell". With George C. Scott, Royal Dano and Lee J. Cobb in varying degrees of intensity, no one else has a chance to command your attention.
The Virginian S1 E10 "West". With Claude Akins
The Virginian S1 E15 "Duel At Shiloh". Great turns by Brian Keith and Ben Johnson.
The Virginian sure started off strongly with these early episodes, didn't it Alan? And the series looks absolutely stunning on DVD. 3 great episodes there, with West being a real showcase episode for Doug McClure...and the other episodes with real powerhouse guest stars, as you pointed out...I'm a big Lee J. Cobb fan, so the first 4 seasons are a must in my collection...although I have seasons 1 to 8 in the Timeless DVD releases altogether...at 72 minutes to fill a 90 minute time slot, some of the episodes do drag a bit...but there are so many great episodes in the run that just shine with so many great and familiar faces...a show I grew up on. I took these screen caps from S4's Beyond the Border, guest starring a stunning Joan Staley...
Virginian 10.JPG

Virginian 11.JPG

Virginian 9.JPG

Kraft Suspense Theater S1 E19 "A Case Of Anger". More Brian Keith. Involving, well paced road themed episode.
Name Of The Game 2 E19 "Tarot"
Alan, I didn't know these were on YT, thanks for the reminder! I need to watch these soon.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Peter, I recently discovered that Route 66's Aren't You Surprised to See Me? looks much better on the old Roxbury/Infinity DVD release than on the Shout Factory DVDs...and third season's Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma looks great on the older Roxbury set, and is something of a murky disaster on the Shout release...both, probably a few more, that suffer from Shout's decision to cram 5 or 6 episodes on a disc, versus the 4 on all the Roxbury discs...do you have both? I'm sure glad I didn't give away my old Roxbury sets when I got the Shout complete series in order to get season four, finally...good that they subsequently released a stand-alone season four as well...one of my favorite all time shows!

The good thing is that most of the Route 66 episodes look just as good on the Shout sets as they do on the older Roxbury DVDs...but as you can see, some are terrible in comparison, mostly a single episode on a 6 episode disc, some on a 5 episode disc, as with Aren't You Surprised to See Me?

I did buy all three Roxbury sets, back in the day, but I have a sinking feeling I may have sold off Seasons 2 & 3 in a garage sale, after the Shout set came out. Either that, or they are hidden somewhere behind DVD/Blu cases in my extensive shelving and are temporarily misplaced --which could possibly be, as I didn't have much luck unloading various TV and movie discs I had upgraded in that sale, which was several years ago. I know I held onto the Roxbury Season 1, Vol. 1 set, since it had vintage car commercials as a bonus feature. Guess I'll have to do some digging to see if Roxbury's Seasons 2 & 3 remain. I watched "Aren't You Surprised to See Me?" just before you had initially posted about the differences between the Roxbury and Shout transfers, several posts back (and thank you for those!). Also, I had coincidentally watched "How Much a Pound for Albatross" shortly before your post about it a while back, and the surrounding conversation.

That last The Dakotas episode is one I'm going to post screen caps for soon (love Audrey Dalton as a ruthless, sexy villain) , along with the preceding episode Sanctuary at Crystal Springs...I remember when Warner Archive issued their press release for The Dakotas, I believe they stated that the last two episodes were left unaired in spring 1963? I see that IMDB shows air dates for them all, but that might be wrong. Or perhaps the network (ABC) aired the last two, but many affiliates did not...concerning the cited controversy with Sanctuary at Crystal Springs depicting a hostage taking in a church, and gun play therein...at least that's what a lot of us fans have heard...

Good episodes, especially "Sanctuary at Crystal Springs", which gets my vote as the best, strongest episode of the series. Also ironic, if it is indeed true that this was the episode that got the series yanked off the air/cancelled, as the story seriously addresses the very issue (the ramifications of gun violence in a church, and the town making our heroes social pariahs afterward) that supposedly prompted the network to drop it... life imitates art!

I admire the sheer variety of great TV that you watch, Peter! I have all of these sets too.

Thanks! As with films, I have eclectic tastes in TV, and have reached the point where I'm informed enough that the occasional "blind buys" I make (such as The Dakotas, Mr. Novak, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) and Star Fleet (aka X-Bomber)) do not disappoint.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
When THE DAKOTAS was cancelled so were other Warner Brothers ABC series HAWAIIAN EYE, CHEYENNE, and THE GALLANT MEN. Only 77 SUNSET STRIP was renewed for the 1963-64 season, and it only lasted 17 episodes. I think there was a rift between ABC and Warner. Warner took TEMPLE HUSTON to NBC for 1963-64, along with Jack Elam. I don't think there were any Warner shows on ABC again until THE F.B.I. and F-TROOP, in 1965-66.

ABC did not pull THE DAKOTAS after the supposed outcry and the series was even rerun according to Brooks/Marsh and a lady that posted at WBSHOP that she made an audio tape of the 'Sanctuary' episode. She knows it was the rerun because she received the recorder for her birthday, which was after the original broadcast.

No mention of the outcry in the Vincent Terrace TV show books which preceded the Brooks/Marsh TV show book, which doesn't mention the outcry either. If the outcry cancellation story was true and was such a big deal why didn't anyone remember it when the story would have been only 15 years old or so when Terraces' TV books came out. There was no WAC press release about the incident or unaired episodes, in 2015 when the DVD set came out.

There were no missing or unaired episodes of THE DAKOTAS.. Internet myth. The description of the outcry reads suspiciously like that DAKOTAS episode's plot description in the Harris Lentz TV Western Episode Guide book.

In the previous TV season a BRONCO episode killed a stagecoach full of nuns and an imposter nun and some outlaws were killed in a convent chapel, in a gunfight. No outcry then either.

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
If there's any doubt, I can state that "The Dakotas" was put into syndication, despite its short run of episodes. I have the TV Guides from a local station in Louisiana, which reran the series on Wednesday afternoons in late-1965/early-1966. They ran a different western each weekday, with this being the rerun lineup:

Mondays: Maverick
Tuesdays: Cimarron City
Wednesdays: The Dakotas
Thursdays: Bronco
Fridays: Overland Trail

I'm assuming those final two episodes of "The Dakotas" were aired in reruns at the time, with the rest. "Sanctuary at Crystal Springs" and "A Nice Girl from Goliath" both really pack a wallop. I mentioned in another thread a few months ago, when I saw Audrey Dalton at the Williamsburg Film Festival a few years back, I brought up the latter episode with her, giving her an aghast expression over what a MEAN psycho she portrayed in it, and she responded with a sly little smile. Gave me the impression she really enjoyed playing the role!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Thanks! As with films, I have eclectic tastes in TV, and have reached the point where I'm informed enough that the occasional "blind buys" I make (such as The Dakotas, Mr. Novak, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) and Star Fleet (aka X-Bomber)) do not disappoint.

Glad you gave Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) a blind buy, Peter! It really is a very fun and unique show. If you haven't got them yet, I also highly recommend Network's Man in a Suitcase and Department S complete series sets. Great shows that look fantastic remastered on Blu-Ray. Not super cheap at the moment, but well worth the expense, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks