1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    So The Scooby-Doo Show titles on the DVD set come from this 1980 re-packaging, then? OK, that makes sense...thanks for the further clarification.

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  2. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    Jeff,

Yes, indeed.

~Ben

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  3. Message #3403 of 3601 Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Thanks. I had never seen the show, and I want to get as many Fox shows/movies as I can before El Ratón makes them magically disappear, but so far it's pretty good, and a lot of the story subjects are things that are still relevant today. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  4. Message #3404 of 3601 Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

It's the first Pertwee era story I watched and on BBC, mate.
    And I loved it. I met the time lords and a fallen time lord named Omega.
    And the sherry on top is to witness the anti-matter planet! Fabulous.
    My favorite scene remains: the cerebral fight between the doctor and Omega.

A top-notch season 2 episode with a good score by Richard Shores from The Wild Wild West
    and the lovely Sabrina Scharf retuning from a season 3 episode of The Wild Wild West entitled “The Night of the Underground Terror”.

5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Oh, yeah, a nice funky score from Richard Shores in that episode! I also like his slow, mellow version of the Five-O theme that occurs partway through this episode.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Purple Wig

Purple Wig Stunt Coordinator

Alan
    I al
    I also happened to watch Have Gun Will Travel "Tiger" a few days ago. Was finding it a little hard to swallow and was surprised by the credits informing that it was penned by Gene Roddenberry.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  7. Purple Wig

Alan
    Was Russ Meyer the cameraman on this episode?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  8. Purple Wig

Alan
    The Virginian Season 1 Episode 13: "The Accomplice" : with Bette Davis, the always great Woodrow Parfrey, and a relatively youthful Harold Gould. (DVD)

Owen Marshall Counselor at Law : "Child of Wednesday". Pat Boone as a relatively hip teacher in a custody battle. (YT)

Gunsmoke "Blue Heaven". With Diane Ladd and a sympathetic performance by Tim O'Connor. For some reason he was a favorite of mine when I was a kid.

Good Afternoon 3-23-1977. British talk show, this episode featured tv critic/poet Clive James who recently passed away, and Grace Wyndham Goldie, then head of talk and current affairs at BBC. (YT)

Bob Gu, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  9. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Good stuff, Alan! Never occurred to me to look for Owen Marshall episodes on YouTube...never seen that show before, might have to take a look.

Purple Wig, Bob Gu and Flashgear like this.
  10. Message #3410 of 3601 Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    In that VIRGINIAN episode, Alan mentions, Bette Davis is sitting next to Bill Raisch, in the courtroom scene. Raisch was 'Fred Johnson' in THE FUGITIVE. He's wearing his replacement arm.

OWEN MARSHALL , on YouTube, is a great find. Searching for the few episodes over there , the side-bar led to a couple of OHARA, U.S. TREASURY, episodes, a CADE'S COUNTY, and two OHARAs with Pat Morita.

owenmarshallpreview.
    owenmarshallreview.

When Lee Majors left OWEN MARSHALL, for the SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, I remember a funny take he had on his rise in TV series pecking order. He called it, in a TV GUIDE article, the 'banana' theory. He said he was the Fourth Banana on the BIG VALLEY, (Sorry, Linda Evans and Charles Briles.), Third Banana on THE MEN FROM SHILOH, (Sorry, Stewart Granger.), Second Banana on OWEN MARSHALL, and First or Top Banana on THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN.

What am I watching? I just finished a marathon of all nine seasons of THE F.B.I.-1965-1974.
    TVG021768.

11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Six Million Dollar Man--Population: Zero (1/18/74)
    Very good episode from the first season with a James Bond type evil scheme by a deranged madman. Lots of Moog synth as well, so plus across the board.

The Waltons--The Obstacle (1/11/79)
    Season six episode about a friend of John Boy that is confined to a wheelchair after a war injury. He doesn't stay in the self pity mode too long, and comes out of his shell with the help of Mary Ellen, who has an unusual interest in him, and lets him stay at the Walton's residence for a spell. I almost saw a new love angle with him, and Mary Ellen happening, but no dice.
    Speaking of the lovely Judy-Norton Taylor:

Montytc, Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  12. Message #3412 of 3601 Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I've been revisiting Have Gun Will Travel...the disc I just finished had the 7 episodes filmed on location at Lone Pine California, Old Tucson Arizona, and Bend Oregon...and one episode filmed entirely on a "snow bound" sound stage at Paramount. This show really got around, and in the case of Bend Oregon and the Mount Hood area, I'm not aware of another TV western that filmed there. All of the episodes on this disc were quite good, and at least one that I'd have to consider for a top 20 list...compiling such a list for the excellent Have Gun Will Travel series would be torturous...as this series truly had a wealth of great episodes, as the "Knight without armor in a savage land" found his way through many a grim and tragic tale, and a few memorable comedic or more serene and contemplative outings as well...

Have Gun Will Travel S4E24 Fandango (March 4, 1961) D: Richard Boone W: Harry Julian Fink. Guest starring Robert Gist, Andrew Prine, Karl Swenson, Jerry Summers, Rudolf Acosta.
    Paladin goes to the aid of an old friend, Ernie Backwater. played by Robert Gist (they fought side by side at Shiloh and Bull Run), now a Sheriff, who has pursued two teenage murderers, Bobby Olson (Andrew Prine) and James Horton (Jerry Summers) into the desert. They are wanted for killing the brother of local rancher and fast gun Lloyd Petty (Karl Swenson)...Petty wants to hang them, and probably torture them beforehand, and has hired guns to make his point...the Sheriff and Paladin cannot allow that to happen, even though in having faced a fair trial, the teenagers are sure to hang anyway...

This episode was filmed in Rawhide's bailiwick of Old Tucson, Nogales and the Coronado area...my screen caps from the CBS S4V2 set...
    Have Gun 1.JPG

As usual in season 4, "Hey Girl" (Lisa Lu) delivers Paladin his mail and telegrams...they seem to have a complicated relationship...she often scolds him silently in an understated and elegant way, merely by arching her eyebrow and holding eye contact with her lovely eyes...urging him to do the honorable and right thing...often to his discomfort as the Carleton's resident dandy and man about town...and quite often just as he has moved in on some lovely hotel guest in the lobby....
    Have Gun 2.JPG

Just that quick, Paladin has tracked down one of the accused teen killers, Bobby Olson (a young Andrew Prine, but 24 at the time)...this is the Nogales wash, too humble to be described as a river...the same place that Gil Favor and Rowdy Yates watered their herd on Rawhide...
    Have Gun 3.JPG

Sheriff Backwater has already caught the other fugitive...Paladin and his old friend meet up for the first time since the battles of Shiloh and Bull Run...
    Have Gun 4.JPG

L to R, Rudolf Acosta, Jerry Summers and Robert Gist...
    Have Gun 7.JPG Have Gun 8.JPG Have Gun 9.JPG

After making camp, the men are startled by the sudden appearance of the rancher bent on his own cruel revenge, Lloyd Petty (Karl Swenson)...look at the size of that Saguaro cactus!
    Have Gun 13.JPG Have Gun 12.JPG

Petty is both genial and threatening...insisting on rendering his own and very cruel justice to the killers of his brother...and tells Sheriff Backwater and Paladin that he has the hired guns to kill them all...if they aren't handed over...
    Have Gun 14.JPG Have Gun 15.JPG Have Gun 16.JPG

The posse and prisoners arrive at Old Tucson and it's jail...the fabled and much used set for countless great movies and TV shows...the haunts of Howard Hawks, John Ford and John Sturges, among many great movie makers...
    Have Gun 18.JPG

Having put the prisoners in the jail cell, Petty and his men attack the jail, detonating dynamite and blowing holes in the front door and the jail cell walls almost simultaneously...a terrific action sequence ensues...showing the deft directorial hand of Richard Boone, serving double duty for this episode...
    Have Gun 20.JPG

Petty's hired guns assault the jail, coming in through the blown out door and windows...
    Have Gun 22.JPG Have Gun 23.JPG

Sheriff Backwater and Paladin have dispatched all the hired guns...only Petty, a renowned fast gun himself, is left to square off against Paladin...love Richard Boone's framing of this scene...
    Have Gun 26.JPG

The killers try to escape through the blown out wall...
    Have Gun 27.JPG

No spoilers, but this script allows for a surprise, born out of Paladin's deeply held convictions and aversion to capital punishment...hanging in particular being an ugly atrocity, an affront to Paladin's sense of justice...Paladin detests violence, but is regularly seen to be killing 3 to 5 yahoos per episode...so, the audience itself is left to ponder the contradictory dichotomy that is Paladin...
    Have Gun 28.JPG Have Gun 31.JPG
    It's amazing how much could be packed into 25 minutes of screen time, and remarkable that none of it's pacing feels forced or rushed to conclusion...and that this was done on a weekly basis, for 39 episodes in most of it's seasons! One of the truly great westerns...

13. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

¶ It is the best episode of that maverick and grim season one.
    ¶ There's a veiled reference to Robert Wise’s 1971 The Andromeda Strain
    when Steve Austin, dressed with an astronaut suit, sneaks into the small American town.

Jeff Flugel and Bryan^H like this.
  14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    You can make that same comment about numerous 50s and early 60s half hour dramas. I get the impression that if today's TV creators (and I'm talking writers/producers/directors/actors/crew) had to duplicate these efforts they'd likely give up in exhaustion before the season was done.

15. Purple Wig

Alan
    I'm going to have to check out a few of the O'Hara's. Great articles about Owen Marshall. Was just old enough to see it first run, then revisited it about 6 years ago when there were about 10 episodes up on youtube, found it held up well. At the time it seemed easier to find obscure stuff uploaded, remember there were a lot of Judd For The Defense, Channing, It's A Man's World, Bus Stop etc that have been mostly pulled. Periodically I do a check for "Doc Elliot" which I haven't seen in 39 years but so far only 1 episode has been up, in Spanish.

1969-1974 are a bit of a wasteland when it comes to classic TV on DVD. The obscure shows from the 60's have fared a little better.

Randall, good to see those screenshots from Have Gun. I went to Old Tucson in the mid 1970's, unfortunately long after this series or even High Chaparral had exited the airwaves, but it was fun to poke around in and my Grandfather, who was a huge western buff, loved it.

Ran across a good made for TV movie a few years ago with Owen Marshall's Arthur Hill, "Ordeal", businessman stranded in the desert, may be time for a rewatch.

Bob Gu, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    Interesting that this should come up now, in particular... because Quentin Tarantino just mentioned this very thing in an interview with Deadline.com a few days ago, concerning the fictional Bounty Law TV western series, starring 'Rick Dalton' (Leonardo DiCaprio), seen in clips in Tarantino's recent film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)--

https://deadline.com/2020/01/quentin-tarantino-oscar-nominations-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-star-trek-bounty-law-tv-series-1202829629/

Of course, like he says, he's planning on making just 5 episodes, rather than 39 (or 26), which likely proves Howie's point...

Bryan^H, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  17. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    That's a made-for-TV remake of the excellent 3D film, Inferno (1953), starring Robert Ryan, Rhonda Fleming and William Lundigan (Men Into Space)... smaller roles for Larry Keating (Burns & Allen, Mr. Ed) and Carl Betz (The Donna Reed Show))... and directed by Roy (Ward) Baker, who would later helm episodes of British TV classics like The Avengers, The Saint, The Human Jungle, The Baron, The Persuaders, Jason King, The Champions, Department S, Journey to the Unknown, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased), The Protectors and Danger UXB.

Purple Wig, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  18. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Great stuff as always, Randall (and I apologize for calling you Randy sometimes--Randall was my older brother's name and we just always referred to him as "Randy").
    I've always been suspicious of the stationary "Hotel Carlton" opening credit as being an early studio stagy-sort of set-up. Not that it matters. The series has always been one of my favorites as I've done a few commentaries on it here.
    Old Tuscon, where you mentioned this episode was filmed, is of interest to me in that my yore days in advertising, my favorite commercial photographer would often spend his holidays in that territory. He told me many stories about it and eventually retired to that area. He's probably around 90 now and walking around the tumbleweed-ridden area wearing a six-shooter thinking he's Paladin. More power to him.

Purple Wig, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  19. Message #3419 of 3601 Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I think (unrelated) this is why actress Joey King favors limited series for her television efforts-- the story is told in 7 or 8 shows (8 for her award-nominated series The Act [award-nominated because she didn't win a one of the awards she was up for; they all went to Michelle Williams and Fosse/Verdon]), and therefore she doesn't have a long, grueling workload to deal with.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  20. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Wow, I hadn't heard that Tarantino was actually serious about doing this, thanks for sharing that news Peter. I was reluctant to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and was dragged into the theater by my Lady friend...much to my surprise, I loved it! And of course, I really delighted in the whole fictitious Rick Dalton persona as presented by Dicaprio, the Bounty Law excerpts and his fading TV action star desperate for Corman style exploitation work and Spaghetti Westerns filmed abroad...and that seamless and eye popping digital insertion of Dicaprio into a season one The FBI and his imagined replacement of Steve McQueen in The Great Escape...

So very glad that I have Twilight Time's Blu-ray of Inferno...such a good survival in the desert film (and anything Robert Ryan!) that I enjoy in 2-D...although I wish I had a friend with a 3-D set up so I could see it that way too...

Russ, not to worry, loving your reviews as always, and hope you do more on HGWT and Route 66 too, as I'm not done beating that horse either, ha...Randy is fine with me...I only formalized it to Randall as I used to spend a lot of time with British Ladies (birds, ha, ha), that associated "randy" with being perhaps dangerously horny...that I was, but I didn't want them to get their guard up about it, ha, ha...

The "Hotel Carlton" intro card for HGWT was undoubtedly a Matte painting, and there were two shown alternately...one landward to the hills, and another showing the harbor down the same "street"...of course, they usually inserted the action of a horse drawn coach going down the street in front of the Carlton via a process shot imposed into the blank part of the glass painting...love the cinema magic of a well done Matte painting come to life...

Thanks for sharing that story about your photographer friend, Russ, you should visit him there...he can show you the old Spanish mission of San Xavier del Bac, Santa Rita, Cochise Stronghold, Casa Grande ruins and the Pima County Courthouse, among many eye popping attractions...Tucson, both old and new, is (or was), one of my favorite American cities...and I love it when it shows up in classic TV like Rawhide, HGWT, Petrocelli, and as Alan mentioned, High Chaparral...or as seen in 1961 on Route 66...I'm going there tonight with Tod and Buz in the Corvette, to see that glorious and beautiful old city in all it's sun splashed splendor...and to meet a mysterious, reckless, and lovely girl on a motorcycle, who speaks in joyous riddles and confounding poetry (courtesy of the great Silliphant)...we learn that like almost all Route 66 damsels, she is indeed damaged by past tragedy...nevertheless, onward to meet Vicki...it's always wonderful to spend an hour with Julie Newmar...photos to follow...