1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    LA Law: "Beef Jerky" (2/5/1987): Grace's first case back in day court involves the theft of something used in bovine reproduction. The actual trial challenges both sides' ability to keep it together. Arnie represents a woman named Carolyn Glassband (Patricia Wetting, thirtysomething) who is blaming herself for the end of her marriage … until she finds video evidence her husband (Mark Withers) cheated on her with her sister. Victor tries to get a shy young woman to come out of her shell to testify in a trial regarding her little brother's death four years ago in a car crash with a sleepy truck driver. Ann asks Abby who she's taking to her cousin's wedding. Eventually, she agrees to go out with George Handleman, whom she introduces to her son. Arnie meets his professional match in Renée Quintana (Sheryl Lee Ralph, It's A Living).

This episode shows how well the show manages to go between humorous situations and gripping drama without seeming forced. Unfortunately, with Disc 5, they crammed 5 episodes onto this disc, so the compression artifacts are even worse.

LA Law: "Becker on the Rox" (2/12/1987): Kuzak lands a case representing a pharmaceutical company called Northland, making him the first lawyer in Mackenzie-Brackman to land a Fortune 100 company. They also own a consulting firm whose business includes jury selection. Kuzak believes they are guilty, but he still has to represent them all the same. Stuart and Ann try to keep their relationship professional. Roxanne requests a raise of $100 a week. Arnie says he'll talk to his superiors to see if they allow it. When they won't give her anything better than a cost of living increase, and he starts to get suspicious of her intentions, Roxanne resigns. Since the judge has had it in for him from his Public Defender days, Victor asks Abby to take a case involving a mentally disabled man named Benny Stulwicz (Larry Drake) accused of beating and robbing a shoe repairman because a friend asked him to.

The connecting theme here seems to be the downside of mixing work and romance. That's no coincidence: Michael Tucker and Jill Eikenberry have been married in real life since 1973. It also explains why the late, lamented MAD Magazine's parody was called "LA Lewd." If the show was on today, the #MeToo movement would likely figure into the storylines heavily.

LA Law: "Fifty Ways to Floss Your Lover" (2/19/1987): Grace asks for the death penalty for a cop killer; the defendant, Walt Buckner (J.W. Smith), threatens her, but she refuses to get a gun for protection. A guard he threatened (Jason Ross) who takes the stand worries he'll kill again if he's convicted because he'll have nothing left to lose. A doctor (Philip Reeves) argues that he is a victim. Roxanne still has to clean up after the temp Arnie hired; Arnie begs her to come back, but she won't without a raise, and she gives him a deadline of Friday to make up his mind. Then, she sits in as a juror on the case of a traffic accident; two of the jurors become two angry men during the deliberations. Eventually, she has to defend her dissenting vote, forcing another vote. Victor has a dentist's appointment, and his colleagues' recollections of their own dental problems do not ease his mind; the descriptions are more than Douglas can take. During the appointment, he learns his old dentist died six months ago and his new one (Jennifer Holmes, Newhart) is involved in a malpractice suit filed by a patient (Laura Esterman) claiming she implanted radio signals in her teeth. He takes her case. Arnie's new temp is an Englishwoman named Meredith Wiggins (Jane Windsor); Arnie wants to take her out to dinner, but he learns that it's not going to happen with her when he learn's who she's going with instead. A gang member takes revenge after a guilty verdict. Some shows seem to act like there is only one side to any issue. This isn't one of them.

John Hancock, who plays Judge Armand, also played Gus the Cameraman on Family Ties. He died in 1992.

LA Law: "The Grace of Wrath" (2/26/1987): Douglas buys a new toupée. When it fails to get the intended results, he gives it up. He also meets his former mistress's (Clare Wren) new boyfriend. Victor ends up representing an elderly man (Alfred Dennis) prosecuted for smoking cannabis, which California did not decriminalize until after this show went off the air. Grace testifies against the juvenile gang member (Damon Hines) who shot her. Arnie tries to convince his client Leon Schachter (Stephen Godwin) to stand up for himself and try to get more from his ex-wife then he's asking for. A female juror asks Victor out after he loses his case. Roxanne dates Leon Schachter. Over lunch, Stuart and Ann debate whether men or women are more vain about aging. D.A. Rogoff (Bruce Kirby) demotes Grace to a desk job for being too lenient on sentencing.

Self-fulfilling prophecy alert: In one scene, Grace says to Kuzak, "you think we can go to Disneyland?" while planning a weekend together. With the Disney-Fox merger, maybe they can get a discount.

Probably not a coincidence: the episode production code 4L20 is relevant to one of the subplots.

LA Law: "Sparky Brackman, RIP" (3/26/1987): Abby represents Douglas in a lawsuit a neighbor (Warren J. Kemerling) filed over his dog Sparky. When the judge (Clyde Kusatsu, All-American Girl) rules in Douglas's favor, the neighbor threatens to get even. When that revenge turns tragic, Douglas asks Vinnie La Rosa what to do when the police won't intervene. Kuzak is involved in a civil suit filed by a girl named Laurie (Whitney Kershaw) accusing a student-athlete named Richard Bertrand (Nick Cassavettes) of date rape; he offers her a settlement with a non-disclosure agreement, and the client turns it down. The lawyer defending the accused is a woman named Patricia M. Pittman (Tess Harper). Ann advises Abby to use condoms if she and George decide to go to bed together. Arnie calls Leon "cheap" when the bouquet of flowers he gives Roxanne has no roses in it. Kuzak's client receives the smallest monetary judgment in history, then someone comes forward with a confession after the fact.

This was one of the first dramatic shows to use the word "condom"; one of the others, Valerie, also aired on NBC and premiered six months earlier.

LA Law: "Oy Vey, Wilderness" (4/2/1987): Arnie reconnects with the now-adult daughter of a former client in a grocery store, now a model named Lucinda (Lise Cutter, Perfect Strangers). Grace turns to pills, coffee, and alcohol to cope with the stress of a desk job. While facing assault charges against him, Douglas sues his neighbor for killing his dog. Leland has to go to the doctor. Stuart and Ann go camping, but things don't quite go as planned. While Kuzak represents a man (Luke Askew) accused of using his boat as a drug-running front, he makes an ultimatum to Grace regarding her growing pills and drinking problem. After Lucinda's boyfriend wants her back, Arnie starts to regret losing Roxanne.

2. Message #3422 of 3613 Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Excellent photo essay on Have Gun - Will Travel, Randy...err, Randall! You remind me that I need to pick up Season 4-6 of that wonderful western series. I've heard that the video quality of those later season sets is a marked improvement over the first three seasons...which your screencaps make pretty obvious.

I own Panamint's Region Free Blu of Inferno, one of the highlights of my 3D collection. Would be more than happy to host a 3D showing for you, Randall...all it will take is a plane ticket to Japan. ;)

In all seriousness, I do hope you get a chance to see this film in 3D some day. The 3D effects are very well done, especially when it comes to depth (though there are also some noticeable "pop-outs"), and add a lot to the film...though I've no doubt it's still a great watch in 2D, as well.

Look forward to your analysis of "How Much a Pound Is Albatross." Believe it or not, I haven't seen either of Ms. Newmar's two Route 66 episodes. Might have to remedy that oversight tonight and give it a watch myself, in preparation for further class discussion. If only all homework could be as enjoyable...

3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    It's not just the picture quality that's horrid here-- the captioning is way off as well; just wondered if you noticed that.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  4. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I've been catching episodes of the Vicar of Dibley, starring a roly-poly yet somehow sexy Dawn French whose lascivious needs seem to outweigh her devotion to the Almighty. I liken her to an English Melissa McCarthy. Trevor Peacock is priceless in his character Jim Trott who begins every sentence with a gravelly "No, no, no, no..."

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Dawn French; Treavor Peacock

5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    A very funny show. A particular favorite episode is the 1996 special "The Christmas Lunch Incident." Dawn French's sarcastic but kind vicar can't say no to multiple invitations to have Christmas lunch at several different parishioners' houses, resulting in her having to force down five different meals so as not to offend them.

Jim Trott is a great character, but my favorite is Alice, played to eccentric, dim-bulb perfection by the late Emma Chambers.

Flashgear, BobO'Link and Rustifer like this.
  6. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Ha! I just saw that very episode, Jeff! I was also surprised that in watching a Midsommer Murder Mystery right after that episode, Emma Chambers plays the very stoic but philandering wife of a murderer. A whole different character, for sure.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I absolutely love that show! That Christmas Special is a delight! And I especially like the little tags after the credit roll with Geraldine telling Alice a joke. That entire cast is just wonderful. This is one of the few Britcoms my wife'll watch.

8. Purple Wig

Purple Wig Stunt Coordinator

Alan
    I was living in Tucson in the 1980's when I saw that episode of Route 66 and was surprised to see some recognizable landscapes. The Flamingo Hotel is in one shot, and was still standing when I passed through several years back. Saw the Fugitive "Fear In A Desert City" around the same time and could place a few of the exterior shots there. Sadly, that area is barely recognizable now, on that same recent trip I noted it had been "revitalized" and I think the old bus station was razed, but the Hotel Congress was still there. Haven't seen either of these episodes in 30 years so memory may be slightly off.

9. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thanks Jeff. Yes, the last 3 seasons of HGWT are remastered to a higher standard than the first 3, although I don't have any serious complaints about the earlier season's PQ. Certainly nothing like the marginally awful transfers for Rawhide season 4, which is still a burden of assault on my sensibilities that I mourn to this day. I hope you can find those HGWT S4-6 half season volumes at a great price, or failing that, it might even make more sense to buy the complete series set. Either way, great value with seasons 4 and 5 still having 38 episodes each, and the final season 32. Phenomenal writing in this series, of course, and with Richard Boone's signature role as a good guy...what a transition for him, finally making him a star. After so many years of mostly playing some of the most despicable villains in '50s movie history...just a few months before HGWT, he played that evil and ruthless killer in Randolph Scott's great film The Tall T, where he has the way station's little boy thrown down a well to die with his father and the stage driver (Arthur Hunnicutt)...shocking stuff...

That would be great Jeff. I don't have all that many 3-D films in my collection, and have never felt the urge to upgrade to 3-D capability...I'm cheap like Jack Benny...maybe I should just go over to Best Buy with my copy of Inferno and ask for a demonstration of it on a 3-D system...I'll plop myself down in the theater chair for 90 minutes...they wouldn't make an issue about that now, would they? The young people love me! (I think)...

Great episode Jeff! One of my favorites...we wouldn't get to see this much of vintage Tucson until Petrocelli some 13 years later...filming at many of the very same sites as that later series...Julie Newmar is of course radiant, and courtesy of Silliphant, she is both charmingly hilarious and deeply moving in her grief as this character...this episode really stays with me, as Julie Newmar's performance is maybe the best of her career...the sequel in season 2, Give the Old Cat a Tender Mouse, was filmed in Memphis, a solo Tod episode after George Maharis left the series, and is also quite good. Apparently, How Much a Pound is Albatross? was one of Route 66's highest rated episodes, encouraging that one-of-a-kind sequel...there's another reason why I'm following up that HGWT episode Fandango with the first Route 66 Julie Newmar episode...scenes were filmed at the very same desert location, in front of the very same Saguaro cactus and mountain backdrop...I love these kinds of things! It will take me a little time to take the screen shots to prove it, though...

In the matter of comparing the Roxbury/Infinity and Shout! Factory releases of Route 66, I found yet another episode on the Shout set that suffers in comparison to the earlier Roxbury edition...and this on a 5 episode disc, not a 6 episode disc as my earlier example...season two's Aren't you Surprised to See Me?, the David Wayne episode filmed in Dallas...although in this case, the noticeably inferior video presentation on the Shout set is not as bad as the earlier one with season three's Ever Ride the Waves in Oklahoma?...

Bert Greene, Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I only use captions to decipher difficult-to-hear dialogue. That was not the case here. I'm not sure whether the captions were the same ones prepared for NBC or whether they re-encoded them for reruns.

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Good question-- the only reason I said what I said is because some of the words did not entirely match the dialogue (I use captioning/subtitles extensively, mainly because I like to read the dialogue on screen).

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  12. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    I bought the complete Little House on the Prairie digitally awhile ago, got it cheap $20. I remembered a little of it from back when it was first run but not all that much. , I was very impressed. Great acting, good writing. The HD presentation looks great. Not too many shows I watch for 9 seasons and am sad to see end. This one I was.
    Back to Mannix now, midway through season 7. As I finished disc 4, credits were rolling and I saw Victor French billed as one of the top guest stars. He played a large role in LHOTP. I went back a few chapters in the episode and there he was, I didn’t recognize him without his bushy beard.

Darby67, Gary OS, bmasters9 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Well it's been a VERY long time since my last "actress marathon" because I just haven't had the time and its hard to decide on one since they're usually spur of the moment decisions. In this case, I could come back with something very short since the actress in question left us with very few credits.

I caught recently the 1959 movie "On The Beach" which boasts a fine cast in Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner (her best performance IMO), Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins but also prominent in the cast with a special "introducing" credit is 20 year old Donna Anderson playing Perkins' wife, coping with the impending Armageddon doom of the story (pictured here with director Stanley Kramer)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2JEc2xPnF0E/VOVrVNF4nJI/AAAAAAAA-dc/NkcmIu2Sgdg/s1600/kramer-anderson-beach.jpg

After "On The Beach" Kramer used her again in "Inherit The Wind" and after that she had no credits until becoming a regular on the 1963-64 series "The Travels Of Jaime McPheeters". Then after that show was cancelled she had two guest credits at the end of the 63-64 season.

The Lieutenant-"The War Called Peace."
    =This was the next to last episode of the series (which saw Lieutenant Rice shipped out to Vietnam). In this one, Rice is reluctantly recruited by Naval Intelligence to pose as a civilian technician at a missile base so he can report on security leaks. Rice finds that the scientific team led by Lloyd Bochner are chafing under the restrictive rules of the past-his-prime security officer, Marine Major Denver Pyle. There is also tension caused by the fact that Donna, the widow of Pyle's Marine son who was killed in Vietnam is still living with him and he hasn't been able to let go of her. In the end, Rice, despite his admiration for the major, reluctantly realizes that his tactics that worked so well as a commander of Marines in battle isn't helping the situation at the base or the project and he has to give an unfavorable report that means the end of Pyle's career.

=An early role for Vic Tayback as a Marine corporal who waves the cars through the checkpoints, and apparently a young and unbilled Kent McCord can be seen as an extra while Rice is waiting in an outer office. Freeze-framing it definitely looks like him!

Gunsmoke, S9-"The Other Half"
    -In this one, we get the last ever acting performance of Lee Kinsolving, who had a number of guest shots in the early 60s (The TZ episode "Black Leather Jackets"). He plays twin brothers Jess and Jay who run a feed store founded by their ailing father Paul Fix. One night, Jess is killed and we see the impact on Jay, Jess's girlfriend Nancy (Donna) etc. But ultimately it becomes clear what the real "revelation" of this episode is going to be and frankly this gets back to why I think "Gunsmoke" as an hour long show always came off as more padded compared to the classic half-hour version.

Coincidentally, both of these episodes were directed by Andrew V. McLaglen. After this, Donna did a "Ben Casey" and seemed to retire from the business. IMDB lists a couple bit parts in the 70s and even a "Murder She Wrote" in 1984 but I'm not convinced that's her. Whatever the case, these were the only episodes showing someone who has a big role in a very weighty movie that were available for this "mini-marathon" of sorts.

Purple Wig, Darby67, Rustifer and 3 others like this.
  14. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I have a special fondness for Julie's two "Route 66" episodes because as a Batman fan, I ended up writing a couple fanfic stories establishing that Julie's Vicki Russell character from these two episodes was the actual alter ego of her Catwoman character! :) (Could never picture Julie as the classic Selina Kyle alter ego of Catwoman).

Darby67, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  15. Message #3435 of 3613 Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    LA Law: "Pigmalion" (4/9/1987): In the season 1 finale, Arnie represents the wife (Millicent Martin, Frasier) of Uncle Billy (Pat Corley, Murphy Brown), a children's TV show host, accusing him of immoral acts with a sow. Leland goes into the hospital for hemorrhoid surgery. Victor represents a woman (Lee Garlington) accused of killing her baby; the doctor argues she was delusional when she did it, but the prosecuting attorney (Charles Levin, Alice) isn't buying it and starts badgering her on the stand. What her husband (Greg Mullavey, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman) witnesses her doing to their surviving daughter (Stefanie Mason) makes the verdict ironic. Kuzak gets upset when he finds out that the IRS made a mistake when they accused Ron Messer of using his boat of using it for drug running, but the situation gets worse when they repossess the man's boat and he hits the repo man. Ann recovers from the unfortunate incident during the camping trip, and Stuart proposes to her. Abby tells Victor of her troubles with Alex and his father. Roxanne visits Arnie at his apartment while Grace returns to Kuzak.

Here, the tone shifts from comical to frightening as if on a dime. Like a lot of shows from the 1980s, they dealt with some heavy subject matter but still left a lot to the imagination; some of the more gruesome parts are only hinted at through reaction shots and not actually shown. But they couldn't have been this frank about child abuse 20 years earlier. The DVD retains the climactic performance of Elvis Presley's "One Night With You."

Two of this episode's guest stars also guest-starred on another popular NBC show of the era: The Golden Girls. Charles Levin was in the first episode as Coco the housekeeper. He died tragically under unusual circumstances in 2019. Lee Garlington was in one of the show's last episodes as Rose's daughter Kirsten, a recast of a first season role originated by Christine Belford (Dynasty, Silver Spoons), who also appeared on LA Law in 1989. Golden Girls also did a pig-centric episode a few months later.

LA Law: "The Lung Goodbye" (10/15/1987): Season 2 begins with Arnie taking the case of a personal trainer named Dan Sapin (Antony Hamilton) whose TV star wife Jocelyn Miller (Shannon Tweed) is divorcing him. He asks for a few pointers on how to improve his own physique. Anthony Gianelli (Ray Abruzzo) and Leslie Kleinberg (Kim Delaney) join the firm. Victor looks for a new car because he's tired of his old one constantly needing repairs. He wants a simple, inexpensive one, but the dealer convinces him to lease a luxury car on the grounds that it will depreciate in value much less. On a double date with Grace and Kuzak, he gets carjacked. Kuzak is going after a tobacco company; he is adamantly against tobacco smoking because his mother died of lung cancer after smoking for years. Much to his chagrin, Grace takes up smoking them. A girlfriend of Victor's named Sherry (Rebecca Street) admits to being bulimic and has no angst or guilt about it. Ann and Stuart both of them look for a couples' therapist, but neither of them can find a satisfactory one … until they find a married couple who are therapists. A man with emphysema who needs an oxygen tank to breathe (Jake Dengel) testifies against the tobacco company, but the defense attorney (Mitchell Laurance) finds photographic evidence of him still smoking tobacco cigarettes a day before he takes the stand while accusing his wife (Barbara Brownell) of cheating on him. Jonathan Rollins (Blair Underwood) talks to Abby about joining the firm. An advertiser named Bradford Fredericks (Jack Dodson) takes the stand. Roxanne tells Arnie his client's settlement check bounced. A doctor named Dr. Saxon claims on the stand (Sam Whipple) there is no correlation between smoking and disease … according to a tobacco industry-funded organization.

The Region 1 DVD of season 2 is not noticeably better than the season before it. The same compression artifacts and video moire plague the picture. For some reason, this episode starts off in mono and finishes in stereo.

From the "Times Sure Have Changed" Department: Grace is actually smoking a tobacco cigarette in a restaurant.

Antony Hamilton replaced the ill-fated Jon-Erik Hexum on CBS's Cover-Up, also produced by 20th Television Fox. He died of AIDS in 1995. Shannon Tweed was 1982's Playboy Playmate of the Year. Uncredited in this episode is Alan Blumenfeld as one of the therapists; he also guest-starred on The Golden Girls, The Facts of Life (playing fast food restaurant owners on both sitcoms), Valerie, and Family Ties, and kissed John Ritter on the lips in Problem Child 2.

LA Law: "The Wizard of Odds" (10/22/1987): For a homeless benefit by the Los Angeles Professional Women's Center, Arnie participates in an "auction" where women bid money for a date with him. Ann is defending a doctor charged in a wrongful death lawsuit. Douglas gets a judgeship; his first case is over a foul-mouthed parrot named Spike. Victor goes up against diminutive trial lawyer Hamilton Schuyler (David Rappaport, The Wizard), nicknamed "Mighty Mouse," in a case involving a boy named Kevin Talbot (Jonathan Brandis, SeaQuest DSV) seeking damages after flammable pajamas caught fire and gave him third-degree burns over half his face and body. Victor accuses Schuyler of evidence-tampering when a pair of pajamas, brought out to demonstrate an example of the company's products to the jury, catch fire in court. Jonathan interviews with Leland and Douglas to join the firm. When Kevin takes the stand, Victor gets the truth out of him. Anthony is afraid that if he fails the bar again, he will have to give up practicing law. A deluded man (Ralph Seymour) falsely confesses to murder on the stand. Punks (Michelangelo Kowalski, Mark Pellegrino, Michael Worth) harass Schulyer. Arnie goes out with Nina Hollender (Laura Johnson, Falcon Crest), the woman who won the dating auction.

Two guest stars met with tragic, premature ends at their own hands: the 3'11" English-born actor David Rappaport would play the character of Hamilton Schulyer in two more episodes before he died in 1990 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Jonathan Brandis took his own life in 2003.

From the "Cast My Wife, Please" Department: Laura Johnson is Harry Hamlin's ex-wife.

16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And he was billed as one of the guest stars on that first-season Streets of San Francisco episode "Deathwatch," OAD Saturday, Jan. 13, 1973 on ABC (from first-season, second-volume DVD, disc 1):

victorfrenchstreets.

This one ("Deathwatch") is one of my favorites of that 70s ABC police/detective series, and one I go back to often.

Jasper70, Flashgear, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  17. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    Father Knows Best
    "Big Sister" (S4E14)

I like this series because I grew up in that era. Oh, by no means was my family like the Anderson's--no one's was--but it did have a certain feel-good and positive aura that doesn't seem to exist in our society today. That's not to say that if social media existed back then like it does today, the whole decade's sunny disposition might have been extinguished faster than Thomas Dewey's political career.

Betty (Elinor Donahue) becomes a camp counselor at Indian Springs. I guess this was a big deal for a 17-year old girl in that era. Right up there with Prom Queen and Student Council President. Today, not so simple. You'd need to solve world peace, or win an Olympic gold medal or have 20 million followers on your Twitter account for true worth. On the other hand, Bud (Billy Gray) is perfectly content with fixing a busted carburetor or having Shake 'n Bake pork chops for dinner.

On this particular day, Betty is apoplectic after finding out Kathy (Lauren Chapin) has been snooping through her personal diary. No delicious revealings of any sticky back seat romances or dipping into Dad's brandy--Betty didn't do stuff like that. Grabbing at any available chastising straws, she admonishes her parents for failing to raise Kathy correctly. Just wait 'til your turn, they tell her.
    Well, it comes sooner than later as Kathy is under Betty's tutelage at the camp. I remember summer camp back then--bare pinewood walls, fly-specked screens and bug-ridden bunk beds. It was the place to go if you wanted to be truly uncomfortable. Betty, consumed with new-found power over her charges, becomes a female Mussolini to Kathy. The poor girl can do nothing right--fitting retribution for the sin of diary-reading. Betty is hell-bent on her group winning the camp's coveted 'Golden Arrow' award and will accept nothing less than perfection.

upload_2020-1-24_10-7-4. upload_2020-1-24_10-7-22.
    All right girls, let's get it straight who's in charge here; I've told you before--the pool is not your personal potty...

Meanwhile, Jim (Robert Young and Margaret (Jane Wyatt) are giddy at having the house all to themselves--and celebrate by doing the laundry together. Doesn't anyone in this family have an impure thought? Betty continues her brow-beating abuse on Kathy in relentless fashion. Bud, working as a camp janitor, pretty much tells Betty where to stick her Golden Arrow. At least someone in the family grows a pair.

Of course, it's not a true Father Knows Best episode without a happy ending. Betty rescues runaway Kathy in a blinding thunderstorm and finally realizes what a dolt she's been. More importantly, Bud gets pork chops for dinner.

18. Message #3438 of 3613 Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I'm almost embarrassed to say that I don't have any of Father Knows Best in my DVD collection, and considering Russ' post and the others I have seen in this thread, I should probably rectify that. Same thing with the Patty Duke Show. With sit-coms, I've been working on completing Leave it to Beaver (S2) and Mister Ed (S4), lacking a single season in both series long runs. And I need to buy that 5 season reissue of The Donna Reed Show, despite having the first 3 seasons already. That's the cost of collecting long before the wave of complete series releases came along. I've been more intent on collecting Westerns, Drama and SF series. And back filling so many of the pricey Warner Archive long running series sets. And CBS-MOD, KL, Criterion, TT, and WAC Blu -rays...man, I don't want to know how much I've spent on collecting these last 5 years alone!

I've returned from my Route 66 time travelling back to Tucson circa May-June 1961...loved it there!

Route 66 S2E18, (February 9, 1962) How Much a Pound is Albatross? D: David Lowell Rich, W: Stirling Silliphant. Guest starring Julie Newmar, Frank McHugh, Ray Teal, Jean Engstrom, Med Flory.

The radiant and charismatic Julie Newmar stars as Vicki Russell, at first glance taken to be a frivolous, carefree and utterly irresponsible young girl who travels coast to coast on her speeding motorcycle...but also living a reckless and unplanned odyssey of self discovery...and perhaps having a death wish in concert with her grief over being the only survivor of her once loving family of 5...mother, father, brother and sister all dying together in a tragic plane crash in the mid-Atlantic...this is no spoiler, as it is revealed early on in this story, beautifully expressed in this exquisite Silliphant teleplay...

Vicki blows into Tucson on her Honda, ripping around at 90+mph through the downtown streets, being chased by what appears to be about 4 police cars and about 6 police motorcycles...where she almost hits Tod and Buz in their Corvette, forcing them off the road where they take out a storefront's picture window...but we first catch sight of Vicki as she rips through the Oro Valley and past the beautiful Spanish Mission of San Xavier del Bac, the "White Dove of the Desert", a world heritage site that dates from 1691...Rawhide filmed an epic and action filled first season episode here in 1958 (Incident at Alabaster Plain)...one of my favorites from that series long run, which I posted screen caps for on HTF a few years ago...my screen caps from the Roxbury DVD set that came out in 2008.
    Route 66 135.JPG
    Route 66 129.JPG
    Route 66 134.JPG
    Route 66 138.JPG
    Route 66 139.JPG
    Route 66 140.JPG
    Route 66 141.JPG
    Route 66 142.JPG
    Route 66 143.JPG
    Route 66 144.JPG
    Route 66 145.JPG

Having finally cornered the "blonde tornado", Vicki tells the police officer that she first encountered to begin the chase, "You looked so bored...I felt sorry for you". The officer is played by Med Flory...but nearly all the other police officers you see in this episode, of which there are many, are real, actual, serving Tucson police!
    Route 66 147.JPG

While Tucson police barricade traffic up the street, you see how many of the local people are quite delighted that Route 66 has come to town...even in bigger cities like Dallas, Memphis and Cleveland, the show had enthusiastic and large scale co-operation by local police forces...different times...
    Route 66 148.JPG

Pima County Courthouse...the beautiful structure, completed in 1930 and since expanded, is on the National Historic Registry of Architectural masterpieces...where that '57 Chevy is situated, was prime parking for Tony Petrocelli, the crusading criminal defense lawyer in 1974-76's Petrocelli, whose production was also managed by Route 66's Sam Manners, who ultimately retired to the area...Sam Manners was also responsible for the Tucson filmed Bearcats!, the enjoyable short run 13 episode 1971 series with Rod Taylor...
    Route 66 151.JPG
    Route 66 153.JPG
    Route 66 154.JPG

Where Vicki is taken to meet Sheriff Coffey...er, Sheriff Ames...played by Ray Teal of Bonanza...he is at first perplexed at her behavior, and soon to be frustrated...and ultimately outraged at what he calls the Blonde Tornado...I love the period detail in his busy office...the portrait of JFK, and the Minuteman missile model...the Minuteman was very much in the news of the day, about to be deployed in underground silos across the West, as America's principle land based Nuclear deterrent...
    Route 66 155.JPG
    Route 66 156.JPG
    Route 66 159.JPG
    Route 66 166.JPG

To be completed...

19. Message #3439 of 3613 Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Route 66 How Much a Pound is Albatross? (Feb. 9 1962) cont'd...my screen caps from the Roxbury/Infinity DVD set, although this episode looks just as good on the Shout Factory set...

Questioned by Sheriff Ames, Vicki ( Julie Newmar, of course) joyously responds with lyrical word play, existential musings and whimsy...she has no I.D., no license, no money, and apparently no sense to her at all...the exasperated Sheriff is forced to jail Vicki and call in a lady psychiatrist (Jeanne Engstrom) to examine her mental health...
    Route 66 168.JPG

These are the real Pima County Sheriff offices as they were in 1961...Route 66 had all access privileges...I'll bet those are the actual newspaper reporters for the Daily Star and Arizonian...
    Route 66 169.JPG

Tod is on the hook for a $250 bill with the broken storefront window, courtesy of Vicki forcing his 'Vette off the road earlier...these are actual Tucson police officers...
    Route 66 163.JPG

Vicki is questioned by the lady psychiatrist Dr. Bell...played by a compassionate Jean Engstrom...
    Route 66 170.JPG

In having revealed the tragic deaths of her whole family, Vicki intones the compelling Silliphant monologue..."I first asked myself...where can I go for healing? Where can I find a tourniquet tight enough to stop the bleeding? So I told myself, let grief ride outside on a motorcycle of it's own, let it try to catch me. Let it cast shadows of it's own. You know Dr. Bell, I left a trail of buried Albatross from coast to coast". Dr. Bell replies: "How much a pound is Albatross, Vicki?" She replies: "nobody can afford it. So everyday I grow lighter and greedier for life".
    Route 66 175.JPG

Against her will, Vicki is out on bail...the bondsman points Vicki toward her benefactors...a smitten Buz has convinced Tod to put his Corvette up as collateral against the bail bond...the reluctant and worried Tod tells Buz: "Even watching a girl like that is dangerous. Look at her, every time her boot touches the ground, there's a tuft of smoke". With those leather motorcycle pants, Julie Newmar is already half way to her Catwoman costume, ha, ha...
    Route 66 179.JPG

Vicki expresses her displeasure, and takes an instant dislike to the cloying Buz...she tells him at one point: "You mustn't take on other people's coloration, that's self destructive"...
    Route 66 182.JPG

Buz has purchased a new dress for the (apparently) penniless mystery girl...wowza...just prior to this scene, Tod and Buz have a hilarious discussion about "Peristaltic Distortion"...a witty and delightful dialogue replete with Silliphant eloquence that has to be witnessed in watching this great episode...
    Route 66 187.JPG

It isn't long before bull-in-a China-shop Buz alienates the sensitive Vicki, who having retrieved her motorcycle, takes Tod for a midnight ride in the Sonoran desert...a lovely meditation on grief and despair is explored, and more compelling facets of Vicki's tortured soul are revealed...
    Route 66 194.JPG

This is the very same locale as my earlier post about Have Gun Will Travel...season four's Fandango having filmed the previous year in front of the very same vista...
    Route 66 193.JPG

Of course, they run out of gas and are now on foot...the love struck Tod and Vicki herself, will now miss her scheduled court appearance...good thing Tod keeps his hands in his pockets, as Lord knows where my hands would be, ha, ha...
    Route 66 198.JPG
    Route 66 200.JPG
    Route 66 203.JPG

Sheriff Coffey...er, Sheriff Ames... mounts up at Mission San Xavier del Bac with a literal horde of actual Pima County Search and Rescue people on horseback, foot and motorcycle to look for the missing Vicki...and maybe Tod as well, if need be...the locals are enthused to display their civic pride...hundreds of people appear to be involved in filming this episode!
    Route 66 209.JPG
    Route 66 207.JPG

Buz is among the first to find them...Tod is wearing one of the motorcycle's saddle bags as a sun shade, as he would likely burn in direct moonlight...Vicki has just lost her's in a lip lock with the impassioned Tod...Buz proceeds to jokingly "inspect" the two of them, riffing on a "Gunga Din" reference that is hilarious and needs to be seen to be believed...but I loved it!
    Route 66 215.JPG

Vicki is now in much more serious legal jeopardy...appearing before the court...a revelation about her is heard, and all her protective "armor" stripped away to reveal the real Vicki...a scared and fragile girl who still has much healing to do...and many more miles to come on her road of self discovery...
    Route 66 220.JPG
    Route 66 224.JPG

Vicki Russell...perhaps the most unforgettable girl that we encounter on Route 66...and though she will be seen again in season three, she isn't to be had by any man...to quote her: " Suppose I was as honest with you as I can possibly be? Fooling you no more than I fool myself? Still, you wouldn't know me and I wouldn't know you. Because no matter how much we cry for the light, we're all sleepwalkers fumbling in the dark. Sometimes we manage to touch, for a moment, but then we pass"...oh, Vicki...
    Route 66 225.JPG
    Route 66 226.JPG

Purple Wig, Bryan^H, Darby67 and 5 others like this.
  20. Message #3440 of 3613 Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Mr. Novak - 1.7 "Hello, Miss Phipps"
    Novak at first clashes with, and then comes to the aid of, a prickly elderly sex education teacher (Lillian Gish), who gets in hot water when one of her students, the son of a powerful newspaper editor, submits a sexually frank research paper, leading to parental outrage. Principal Vane, who is a former pupil of Miss Phipps, is dogged in his defense of her, but in the end, it is an eloquent speech by Miss Phipps herself which defuses the situation. I could have done without the hackneyed slow clap that follows said speech, but otherwise, this is another strong, well-acted episode that deals with some difficult themes. Ms. Gish is terrific as Miss Phipps, whose imperious exterior masks a deep-rooted caring for the young minds she seeks to prepare for the realities of adult life.

A Man Called Shenandoah
    - 1.5 "The Debt"
    Robert Horton's Shenandoah rides into a dusty little town and is accused by a shopkeeper's son of killing his brother during a battle in the Civil War. The local sheriff (Charles McGraw) locks the kid up and encourages Shenandoah to get out of town, but our amnesiac hero is reluctant to do so, thinking the young man might hold some key information to help him recover his past identity. As tempers flare and the townsfolk become divided between former Confederates and Yankees, a gunslinger (played by a "young" Harry Dean Stanton...seriously, was this guy born grizzled?) arrives and begins stalking Shenandoah. Decent episode with some good work by McGraw and nice quick-draw gunplay by Horton at the climax. Also with Whit Bissell.

The Wild Wild West

3.6 "The Night of the Arrow"
    4.5 "The Night of the Gruesome Games"
    Neither of these WWW episodes could be claimed as series' best, but they are typically solid and lively entertainments, and feature appearances by two sexy '60s starlets. "Arrow" is one of those more "western" themed episodes peppered throughout season three, which sees Jim and Artie tasked by President Grant to prevent efforts to instigate a war with the Indians. Robert J. Wilke, in fine snarling form, guests as a bloodthirsty Army general with political aspirations, and Petticoat Junction's bosomy blonde, Jeannine Riley, plays his honey-voiced femme fatale of a daughter. While the plot is nothing special, there's some great action in this one, including a scene where Robert Conrad does a Jackie Chan-style run-and-flip stunt up the side of a tree.

[​IMG]

"Gruesome Games" is better, as Jim and Artie infiltrate an invitation-only party at the home of an eccentric millionaire (played in fun if over-the-top fashion by William Schallert, in his second of three appearances in the series), in order to find a stolen vial of deadly germs. The supposed fun games their host forces his guests to play grow increasingly deadly, and we get more narrow escapes, fights and stunts, including Conrad taking a punch and performing an unbelievable fall and roll straight on his neck that looks highly painful and dangerous. What's even more unbelievable, though, is how the usually predatory West doesn't indulge in even a single smooch with smoking hot co-star Sherry Jackson...he likewise fails to do the same with Ms. Riley in "Arrow." This is something unthinkable for the Jim West of seasons one and two...

[​IMG]

Route 66
    - 2.18 "How Much a Pound Is Albatross?"
    I can't add much to Randall's excellent and informative overview of this episode. It's indeed a fine showcase for Stirling Silliphant's poetic writing, and for the Amazonian Julie Newmar, who's at her most alluring here. She makes the wide-eyed wild child Vicki a beguiling and tragic siren, without veering into irritating crazy fruit loop territory. It's easy to see why Tod and Buz (and pretty much everyone else she encounters, male or female) become enchanted by her, and it's amusing to see Buz, usually the much smoother operator than straight-laced Tod, fail so spectacularly in his pursuit. Vicki tolerates him until he pushes the sad sack drunk in the bar; after that, he hasn't a chance in hell with her. When Vicki takes Tod on their midnight desert motorbike ride, I did wonder if there was a scene cut or missing from my DVD copy, as there's a fade out as the two stand looking at a distant mesa, then we jump to the next morning, as the sheriff wakes Buz up in his hotel, and we return to a stranded Tod and Vicki. Is there a scene missing here, some further deep Silliphant soliloquizing between the two? And just what did they get up to all night, hmm? (I know what I would have tried to get up to, if I were in Tod's shoes... ;))

A few more comments on this episode. First, the physical production remains very impressive, including the well-staged police chase at the opening of the episode. I especially liked the great bit after Vicki runs Tod's Corvette off the road and into the front of a store, and the two guys watch in growing horror as the store's big plate glass window wobbles ominously, before shattering all across the hood of their car. The climactic search-and-rescue effort is nicely mounted as well. While Buz's atypical romantic ham-handedness seems out of character, Tod's initially bemused then gradually besotted reactions to Vicki are spot on.

This is a very enjoyable, at times joyous episode, that nevertheless isn't afraid to dig deep into Vicki's sadness and sense of loss, an emptiness that can never be filled, no matter her best efforts to outrun her "albatross." The overall final impression we're left with is of this fragile yet resilient free spirit, an ineffable spark of life, constantly questing and questioning, never to be restrained or contained, beautifully portrayed by Miss Newmar. Still images simply don't do her justice.

[​IMG]

Petrocelli
    - 2.13 "The Falling Star"
    It just felt right to stay in the same Tucson locations seen to such good effect in "How Much a Pound Is Albatross?," by watching an episode from this always-engaging legal procedural, filmed there some 14 or so years later. Old Festus Haggen himself, Ken Curtis, stars as former cowboy film star, Dusty Rhodes, who is accused of murdering a film producer seen making Harvey Weinstein-like moves on Rhodes' estranged daughter (played by a pouty yet very pretty Susan Dey). Albert Salmi's legman Pete gets a bit more to do this time out, which is nice to see, and super cute Susan Howard gets some sashaying tips from a stripper client of Tony's (Suzanne Zenor). Also with The Rat Patrol's Lawrence Casey, Noble Winningham, Frank Aletter and Francine York.

[​IMG]