What's new

What are you listening to right now? (3 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Puccini's Turandot, conducted by Zubin Mehta, recorded live at the Metropolitan Opera House on Dec. 3, 1966.
With Birget Nilsson and Franco Corelli as the dueling vocal stars (anything you can sing I can sing higher/louder/longer, et cetera). Thrilling, since there is no console doctoring, and no retakes/splicing.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I remember listening to 'Chocolate, and Cheese' nearly 25 years ago. This song really stood out on the album. Still does, so weird, and atmospheric.

I love Ween. BABY BITCH on that album kills me everytime. A lot of truth on that song considering many write them off as a comedy band.

I'm listening to The Grateful Dead: 30 Trips Around The Sun Show 2 - Los Angeles 1967. Phew, even typing out Grateful Dead stuff can be a chore... :P

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Toscanini conducting Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Glinka and Liadov.
Man, that Italian must have been a Communist! :D

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
folder.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Tchaikovsky's Iolanta, live from the Met performance from 2015, via Sirius XM. What a gorgeous opera! Fortunately I was able to see a live performance at the Dallas Opera. It's a little-known work, unjustly so.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

A Bug's Life is a deeply underappreciated film and score relative to the bigger hit Toy Story ones that bookended it. But it's just as good as Pixar's other all-time classics, and I really love Randy Newman's work on this music. They won't do it because the line appears to be dead, but I wish this would receive a Legacy Collection complete score release on CD. The now out-of-print original disc from 1998 is only 48 minutes. I'm pretty sure at least one of the various Blu-rays or DVDs over the years included an isolated score track, so at least there's that. But I'd still really like to have it on CD to be able to listen to all of it when the movie is not on.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
"Kaiserhymne" by Joseph Haydn.

If you're familiar with national anthems from europe, you will recognize it is the same music as "Deutschland Ueber Alles" which is the national anthem of Germany (Weimar, Nazi, Federal Republic, and now reunified).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Verdi's Don Carlo (4 Act version) Live performance conducted by Riccardo Muti at La Scala. Pavarotti, Ramey, Dessi, Coni, d'Intino, Anisimov.

mylan

Screenwriter
Casey Abrams
Put A Spell On You

View attachment 78384

A Jazz singer who plays an upright bass. He fills in the rest with some guitar and various wood wind and brass instruments. It sounds as if his vocals were recorded directly in front of a stereo microphone. His voice keeps floating within 20 degrees either side of center.
I remember him, he was a contestant on a season of American Idol, quite good and he made it pretty far into the finals but certainly not who usually wins Idol. Thanks for the post, I may have to look him up.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I remember him, he was a contestant on a season of American Idol, quite good and he made it pretty far into the finals but certainly not who usually wins Idol. Thanks for the post, I may have to look him up.
Yes, that is him.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
1601419836327.png

The is the 6 disc CD set from Rhino consisting of tracks from almost all of the acts which performed over the 3 days in order of their appearance on stage. I'm on the Arlo Guthrie tracks on disc 2 and so far it's quite good. It sounds significantly better than my old, original, 3 disc vinyl set (and the 2 disc "Woodstock II" that followed).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
View attachment 79354

The is the 6 disc CD set from Rhino consisting of tracks from almost all of the acts which performed over the 3 days in order of their appearance on stage. I'm on the Arlo Guthrie tracks on disc 2 and so far it's quite good. It sounds significantly better than my old, original, 3 disc vinyl set (and the 2 disc "Woodstock II" that followed).
This one is probably the best of the Woodstock comps. Sure, the latest releases have more tracks broken up by day, but it's unwieldly. not to mention the complete boxset of nearly 40 discs that is just a monster to spend time with.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This one is probably the best of the Woodstock comps. Sure, the latest releases have more tracks broken up by day, but it's unwieldly. not to mention the complete boxset of nearly 40 discs that is just a monster to spend time with.
And I already own several of the separate releases with "complete" artist shows - Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Joplin, Sly, Airplane, Santana, CCR, and the MP3s of BS&T (and I really wish they'd release theirs on a separate disc outside of a box set). There aren't many of the other artists who I want or need more than a sampler of their performance which that 6 disc set does that quite well. I'd rather have some Ten Years After and The Band rather than Ravi Shankar or Sha Na Na but it is what it is.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Richard Strauss' Die Frau ohne Schatten. Metropolitan Opera, live performance Dec. 17, 1966. Karl Boehm conducts. Leonie Rysanek and James King as lead singers.
This was the first opera I ever saw in my life in 1977, also at the Met, with the same conductor and the same lead singers. It began my life-long love for opera. It was a magical experience even though I didn't know what the hell was going on. This was before the age of supertitles.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

This is the first track released from Josh Groban's nw album coming next month. I do like him and look forward to buying the whole thing. In the meantime, he's done this classic song very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks