What are you listening to right now?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know these might sound like strange bedfellows, but two of my absolute favorite genres are ballet music (classical in general) and progressive metal. Two recent HD purchases that are completely blowing my mind are a fabulously well performed and recorded complete Tchaikovsky Swan Lake with Neeme Järvi and the Bergen Philharmonic, and Tool's first release in 13 years, Fear Inoculum. I've listened to the entire Swan Lake twice and the Tool probably five times.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Drinking beer, laying out by the pool and listening to THE DAVE CLARK FIVE SINGLES THRU Amazon Prime Music...what a way to spend a day through this lock down fiasco.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As have I. Right now I'm listening to Toscanini conducting Tchaikovski's Romeo and Juliet Overture with the NBC Symphony Orchestra (1946).
Tchaikovsky is an interesting phenomena. When people first start listening to classical music, often Tchaikovsky is one of the first composers they enjoy. Then, as they evolve, they often learn to look down on him. If they evolve further, they often learn to appreciate him again.

BTW, I have a recording of an earlier version of the R&J Overture. I prefer it to the commonly performed one.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only pre-ww1 composer I ever listened to closely (or seriously), was Paganini.

Though for me it was primarily as a transcription exercise (on a guitar), and very little to do with musical enjoyment.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only pre-ww1 composer I ever listened to closely (or seriously), was Paganini.

Though for me it was primarily as a transcription exercise (on a guitar), and very little to do with musical enjoyment.
Holy smokes! You have a LOT to discover.

Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Holy smokes! You have a LOT to discover.
I mainly looked at classical music as a source to understand how music is written/structured. Not so much for "enjoyment" type reasons. Though some stuff I thought was (subjectively) decent music to listen to on its own, such as Bach and some Vivaldi.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For example, years ago I attempted to transcribe Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor on a guitar. It was doable, in spite of the non-trivial note patterns on the guitar fretboard.

When I finally tried the same note patterns on a piano, it became more obvious it appeared to be written on a piano (and not a stringed instrument).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
For example, years ago I attempted to transcribe Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor on a guitar. It was doable, in spite of the non-trivial note patterns on the guitar fretboard.

When I finally tried the same note patterns on a piano, it became more obvious it appeared to be written on a piano (and not a stringed instrument).
Since you mentioned Paganini earlier, does that mean you've already done the Eliot Fisk thing and mastered his 24 caprices (for violin) on the guitar? :D

That was one of my early-ish intro to classical music (along w/ a lot else) soon after college (though I have explored much in classical guitar).

IF you're not already familiar w/ her, maybe you might also like checking out Rachel Barton Pine's ongoing work as an education-minded concert violinist w/ an empathetic bent for metal (amongst other genre/types outside traditional European classical music) -- she gave a little talk or two linking metal to Paganini at some points particularly in relations to those caprices... and would jam some on her ex-Soldat Del Gesu.

Right around when she gave the video interview in the above article, she also visited my kids' grade school for a fundraising concert and talked a bit on the subject and performed a few of those caprices, including #24 IIRC. She also performed some new metal inspired composition by a local composer IIRC...

And lately, she's been doing these (family-oriented) Friday afternoon 20-min livestreams on FB...

Quite an interesting, if not-so-well-known, virtuoso!

_Man_

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Since you mentioned Paganini earlier, does that mean you've already done the Eliot Fisk thing and mastered his 24 caprices (for violin) on the guitar? :D
The Caprice is what I started off with. I still haven't been able to master it, either on an electric or acoustic guitar.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Toscanini conducting the NBC Symphony Orchestra:
Franck's Symphony in D minor
Saint-Saens' Symphony No. 3 in C minor Op. 78 "Organ"
I've heard both performed live, the Organ at least 3 times in Dallas.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Norah Jones, Feels Like Home and Not Too Late
Tool, Fear Inoculum (again)

All in 96/24 downloads

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Casey Abrams
Put A Spell On You

Put A Spell On You.jpg

A Jazz singer who plays an upright bass. He fills in the rest with some guitar and various wood wind and brass instruments. It sounds as if his vocals were recorded directly in front of a stereo microphone. His voice keeps floating within 20 degrees either side of center.

Reactions: mylan

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gil Jones