What's new

What are those control wires? (1 Viewer)

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Sacha_C,

That's a proprietary link Sony uses for allowing certain Sony equipment (mostly MD players) to communicate with other Sony Equipment (mostly receivers and recorders). If you only have one piece of gear with that plug, you can safely ignore it.

-Robb

will_irwin

Auditioning
It seems that each manufacturer has their own non-standard interface of this type. I have several Onkyo components that use their 'R1', JVC has 'Compulink' and no doubt there are a dozen others. None of them is worth a hoot unless you have all your gear from one vendor.

They do make the system a little easier to operate. In the Onkyo setup, I can use the remote for the receiver and press Play (without switching the remote to 'CD' mode) and the CD plays, with the rcvr switching to that input.

Why don't they collaborate and standardize these? I know each of them is trying to get people to buy all their stuff; but they manage to collaborate in the area of remote control codes.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Also, Sacha, I am sure the owner's manual that came with your receiver explains these things.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
"Also, Sacha, I am sure the owner's manual that came with your receiver explains these things."

No it doesnt explain at all, all it says is to connect the control wire to those plugs and nothing else.

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
That's a proprietary link Sony uses for allowing certain Sony equipment (mostly MD players)
Actually most of the Sony stereo components provide S-Link capability. My 50 Disc Sony CD changer from about 6 years ago has it as does my Sony DVD player. And as far as I know, all the A/V rated (that is the ones that are actually component width) Sony VCR's have it too. I also beleive even many of their better TV's do.

And from what info I can find, it looks like if you have one of the newer CD chagers that supports disc titling and have one of the fancier Sony receivers with the two way remote, the remote can even pull disc titles from the receiver over the S-link to the changer. Although I haven't had a chance to actually try this since my changer is older than dirt. In my case though, I can at least get status transfered to the remote as to which slots in the changer have a disc present.

Pretty cool stuff really, but like others have mentioned about, it requires you to have all your components from the same vendor to really make use of it. This hopefully will change though in the next couple years as vendors hopefully start supporting firewire and HAVI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks