What are those control wires?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

My receiver has plugs for Control A1II, what exactly is this used for?

Thanks

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Sacha_C,

That's a proprietary link Sony uses for allowing certain Sony equipment (mostly MD players) to communicate with other Sony Equipment (mostly receivers and recorders). If you only have one piece of gear with that plug, you can safely ignore it.

-Robb

3. will_irwin

will_irwin Auditioning

It seems that each manufacturer has their own non-standard interface of this type. I have several Onkyo components that use their 'R1', JVC has 'Compulink' and no doubt there are a dozen others. None of them is worth a hoot unless you have all your gear from one vendor.

They do make the system a little easier to operate. In the Onkyo setup, I can use the remote for the receiver and press Play (without switching the remote to 'CD' mode) and the CD plays, with the rcvr switching to that input.

Why don't they collaborate and standardize these? I know each of them is trying to get people to buy all their stuff; but they manage to collaborate in the area of remote control codes.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Also, Sacha, I am sure the owner's manual that came with your receiver explains these things.

5. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

"Also, Sacha, I am sure the owner's manual that came with your receiver explains these things."

No it doesnt explain at all, all it says is to connect the control wire to those plugs and nothing else.

6. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator