What's new

Soundbar for 2014 60' Samsung TV (1 Viewer)

insomuchas

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich
Hi,
longtime no post, glad to see this forum thriving.

My sister decided she wants a soundbar for her Samsung TV. I said no problem, but it quickly turned into a science project. We purchased a 2.1 Vizio Soundbar w/sub-woofer online @ Walmart for a great price but I did not do enough research, the 2.1 Vizio soundbar does not come with ARC (the 5.1 does). She would like to adjust the volume with the TV or Roku remote. So, I canceled the 2.1 Vizio & then got lost in the browser weeds trying to find one ARC capable.

TV = Samsung Model: UN60H7100

Here's what we want:
1) a decent system, does not have to be Samsung. Looks like the higher wattage systems have better acoustics. I think we should be able to get her into a good soundbar + sub-woofer for =< $250.

2) 2.1 or 3.1 sound system (5.1 is too much). I was leaning towards 3.1 until I discovered some TV's apparently downgrade the audio from 5.1 to 2.1 using the ARC HDMI. How can I make sure this TV is not one of those?

3) Believe we will be hard-wiring the sub-woofer. My research (retailer reviews) lead me to believe Bluetooth attached speakers are still too problematic. Unless someone thinks Samsung's TV SoundConnect is so awesome we should us it.
I'm assuming if the soundbar is attached via HDMI (ARC) & the sub-woofer is TV Sound Connect(BT) that the TV remote will still control the volume for both...
If it means spending gobs more money just to have Samsung TV SoundConnect I don't think we're interested. She doesn't mind the wires traveling a few feet down to the soundbar/sub-woofer.

So, basically the best system we can get for the above price, all wired that will allow us to control the volume with either the TV or Roku remote. The Roku does already control the volume on the TV.
I see soundbars with the sub built into, that does not interest us. We want a separate sub.

Thank you for assistance.

Edit: it occurs to me that this could be accomplished with digital optical (toslink) cable as well & forgo the need for HDMI (ARC). Toslink won't deliver the quality an HDMI cable tho, correct?

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm not sure I understand why you are concerned about the TV's ARC or optical audio out to downconvert to 2.0 audio if you are connecteing a 2.1 or 3.1 soundbar. Most soundbars come with wireless subwoofers. As long as the sub is nearby and not in the opposite end of the room, you should be OK.

Which Roku model does your sister have? If she has the newer Premiere or Premiere+, you should be able to switch to a universal remote.

insomuchas

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich
Hi, thanks for responding.

Came across a Tomsguide article that said: "some TVs actually downgrade the audio output over ARC, converting everything to two-channel sound even if it originated as 5.1 audio. It's not common, but depending on your make and model of TV, you might actually wind up with lower sound quality over ARC." The article does state it's not common & so I doubt that is the case.
Read enough reviews regarding the Bluetooth connected sub-woofers that I am convinced my concern is unsubstantiated
I overthought this... don't have much experience with Smart TV's. My setup is old school - dumb TV, everything goes thru the receiver (wired) & then one HDMI cable to the TV. .

We decided to go with the Samsung model M550 3.1 Channel 340 Watt Wireless Speaker System. It has plenty of connections, should be able to accomplish whatever is needed. & she can easily upgrade to 5.1 with the Samsung wireless speaker module.

Thank you

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If ARC gives you any issues (and it likely will, as it always has for me), you can use the optical connection. Anything coming out of the TV is going to be a lossy codec anyway (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, DTS).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks