What's new

What 6th speaker can I add to either of these systems? (1 Viewer)

MikeDE

Second Unit
I have an Onkyo 6.1 TX SR-502 receiver, but the speakers are from an old 5.1 Denon AVR-681 HTB. I'd like to get some better speakers, but my budget is extremely limited. I've been thinking about picking up an Athena Micra 6 that is still sitting on a Best Buy shelf, but would have to find something else for the center surround. I've also considered getting a Hsu Ventriloquist, using the Denon sub (I know the Hsu sub is great, but just can't swing it), again finding something else for the back surround. Even though it wouldn't be the best situation, what would be the better set-up (Ventriloquist with old Denon sub or Micra with sub), and is there a single speaker I could get for the center surround that would somewhat match either one? Or, maybe I should just forget that idea and go with a cheap 6.1 set that matches? I've read good things about Micra and Ventriloquist, so thought a modified version might be the way to go, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm so confused

Mike :frowning:

MikeGee

Second Unit
Honestly if it was me i'd go with the athena micra 6. For a rear surround it doesn't have to match like the front 3 speakers do. Your rear surrounds are much easier to mix and match with. Just get something basic for a rear speaker. I have 6.1 and listening between 5.1 DTS and 6.1 DTS is really not THAT big a difference.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You ought to check out the Hsu system on ebay to save a little money and then buy the Dayton sub for about $115. That would make a pretty decent little budget system.

MikeDE

Second Unit
Thanks for the input. I forgot about the Ventriloquist being 6.1 to begin with. To tell you the truth, I'm a professional ventriloquist (the kind with the dummy, not the speakers), so I was afraid my interest in the speakers may have been more for the name LOL. Of course, now that I'm looking for them, they aren't all over eBay like they were a few weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks