What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WGA set to strike - TV Season could be truncated/delayed (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Actually the union has repeatedly said the Leno is violating the rules by writing for himself and they have left open the question of sanctions when the strike is over. As a practical matter there isn't a hell of a lot they can do about the situation at the moment, and it probably doesn't make much sense to get into a pissing contest with a Big Name who is also a member of the Guild, but they've gone on record as saying that Jay doesn't understand the MBA and the strike rules if he thinks he is somehow exempt because he's writing "for himself."

Regards,

Joe

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Seeing as Leno's run on the Tonight Show is ending, the WGA might end up with an 'up yours' response and resignation from one of the bigger names in the industry, which would leave them with egg on their faces. Just as Lucas years ago told the DGA to shove it when they insisted he include the "A Film By" credit in the opening credits, which he felt disrupted the flow.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Didn't the DGA subsequently amend the rules so in modern movies where all the credits are at the end of the movie the credits list the director's name first? :confused:

I do think that because of the potentially HUGE financial impact of a prolonged strike we may see a deal within the next 3-4 weeks, especially now that they've taken reality programming and animated TV series "off the table" in terms of DVD/Internet delivery royalties.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, the issue was that if a producer got a credit before the title, then so did the director. Lucas argued that Lucasfilm Ltd was a production company (ie akin to having the Fox logo at the beginning) and not an individual producer credit but the DGA disagreed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Marvel is producing their own features now - they're actually funding Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and a few others via a line of credit, with Paramount acting as distributor. The existing franchises (Spider-Man and the X-Men movies) are traditional licensee/licensor arrangements, but their newer projects are much more like the deal George Lucas had with Fox for the Star Wars prequels.

Also, animated programming doesn't impact the WGA; it's a different union/guild. Part of what the WGA wanted was to have animation fall under their jurisdiction, but it's looking like that demand is likely to be dropped (I half-suspect that the guild's request for jurisdiction over animated and "unscripted" work was so that they could have something to drop in order to get better internet and home video concessions).

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

I guess what they are fighting for must really be important to them and have long term industry implications for them to be willing to lose so much then....huh?

{sigh}

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yeah, because nobody's ever going to do scripted television again after the strike ends, so all those jobs are gone for good. No one will ever work again. EVERYBODY PANIC!

Regards,

Joe

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Are any of the "other" workers that are now not working getting unemplyment insurance? (Like the stage hands and such).

Or, how long will it take for LA to go belly up? :)

Glenn

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I think they will. And, I think it was going to happen regardless. The old pilot season is no way to do things, and the networks and studios knew it. There have been rumors of overhauling it for a few years now. This just gave them the right excuse to do it.

I think, in the long run (provided they come up with a better plan), it is for the better.

LCD22

Screenwriter

This is interesting. I have both affiliates anyway, but bring on more Canadian programming.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Just heard tonight that the LA economy has lost approximately $1.6 billion since the strike began 3 months ago. WOW!!!

Mary_P

Second Unit
Hm, I wonder how the Writers Guild of Canada feels about that, given their vocal support of the WGA strike....

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They probably feel that they've already agreed to a contract that covers their members, and that anything that creates more jobs for Canadian union writers is a good thing.

I don't understand why the American WGA feels that everyone else somehow owes them and must accomodate them while their on strike. The U.S. WGA membership made the decision to strike, and it is they who will face the consequences. It still might pan out better for them in the long run over not striking, but the AMPTP is under no obligation to sit there and take it either.

...All that being said, the Canadian-scripted shows could bomb here and then it'd all be a moot point anyway.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
What you talking aboot willis? Canadian shows could be a hit, eh? Never know about them there things. Degrassi High, here we come..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks