Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have seen the 2008 70mm/Datasat Print plus the 6 Track Audio which at Bradford sounded really great.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Were you there? Was the overture correct? If so, I think we all need to suggest to MGM/UA they need to do the right thing for this film right now.

Based upon MGM's track record I fear the only way we're ever going to 'see' a corrected transfer/restoration is if MGM licenses WST to the Criterion Collection.

Reactions: PMF

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Were you there? Was the overture correct? If so, I think we all need to suggest to MGM/UA they need to do the right thing for this film right now.
I wasn't at this particular screening, but I've been to a few 70mm showings since the Blu-ray came out and the overture is always correct, because it's on film.

Neil

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Someone I know told me the DCP is the incorrect version so stick to the 70mm print only.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Based upon MGM's track record I fear the only way we're ever going to 'see' a corrected transfer/restoration is if MGM licenses WST to the Criterion Collection.

That would be awesome - but then ofcourse I'd have to figure out what to do w/ my 50th anniv. set and my DVD boxset (w/ the scrapbook), as my OCD hates having multiple copies of a film. :) (I'd sell 'em, but don't want to lose the swag) .

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
That would be awesome - but then ofcourse I'd have to figure out what to do w/ my 50th anniv. set and my DVD boxset (w/ the scrapbook), as my OCD hates having multiple copies of a film. :) (I'd sell 'em, but don't want to lose the swag) .

As one who saw WST during its original roadshow run at The Rivoli in NY C I have yet to see any good home video presentation of this great film. I recall the DVD had sync problems . The Bluray has the mess with the overture color scheme and other visual problems. Thus, I have yet to add WST to my collectionto and will not until it's given a proper transfer.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
As one who saw WST during its original roadshow run at The Rivoli in NY C I have yet to see any good home video presentation of this great film. I recall the DVD had sync problems . The Bluray has the mess with the overture color scheme and other visual problems. Thus, I have yet to add WST to my collectionto and will not until it's given a proper transfer.

I agree.WSS was absolutely stunning when seen during it's original roadshow release on a giant slightly curved screen. A truly unforgettable experience .No wonder it ran for over a year in many cinemas.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
That's how I saw it in Miami Beach: on a giant, slightly curved screen; and those unforgettable whistles coming from all those different speakers. What a great experience for a 12-year old!
Note: this wasn't my first roadshow experience, but it was the first one with gang members breaking into song and dance, and a finale that had me sobbing uncontrollably.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
And it was shown without an intermission ,which added to the experience.I never saw anyone leave during the credits at the finale.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Who could leave during the credits? We were all stunned by the ending and busy digging for handkerchiefs.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It was most definitely shown WITH an intermission during its initial engagement - I saw it many, MANY times at the Grauman's Chinese, always with an intermission. Much later, Wise said he would have preferred without, but all the initial engagements (many over a year) had the intermission. I don't know why people don't want to believe this.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was most definitely shown WITH an intermission during its initial engagement - I saw it many, MANY times at the Grauman's Chinese, always with an intermission. Much later, Wise said he would have preferred without, but all the initial engagements (many over a year) had the intermission. I don't know why people don't want to believe this.
Did it occur after the rumble (as in the play)? The only times I saw it in a theater there was no intermission, but this was a local small town run probably a good six months after it opened (and in 70mm in a 1967 reissue at Charlotte's Cinerama theater the Carollina).

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

I believe you as it was shown with an intermission when I saw WSS at the Rivoli.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Later in its general release it played without intermission, same with the reissue - but its roadshow had the intermission.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Did it occur after the rumble (as in the play)? The only times I saw it in a theater there was no intermission, but this was a local small town run probably a good six months after it opened (and in 70mm in a 1967 reissue at Charlotte's Cinerama theater the Carollina).

Isn't it after the Tony & Doc conversation at the drugstore, as Tony walks away? Then the movie resumes with "I Feel Pretty". It was a quiet "Act 1" ending as those things go, but it totally worked. I didn't see the film till the beginning of the general release (this was just before we started driving out of town to see roadshows), but that theater played it with the intermission, as did one or two others I saw it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks