What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

West Side Story – Spielberg remake (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The only more recognizable name in the cast than him is Rita Moreno, and that is because she is a legacy carryover from the previous film.

Rita Moreno has been nominated for six Emmy Awards, winning twice (for The Rockford Files and The Muppet Show). She also won a Tony and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2004, so I believe that she is well-known for more than just the Oscar that she won for the original film of West Side Story.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I believe that she is well-known for more than just the Oscar that she won for the original film of West Side Story.
I agree. I wasn't meaning to diminish her career. But they brought her back to West Side Story because she was in West Side Story. Nobody is out there thinking, "The star of One Day at a Time is in the new West Side Story movie!" Her association with the original film is what the marketers are leaning on here.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The new film has been banned in some Middle Eastern countries.

Variety said:
Disney and 20th Century’s "West Side Story," director Steven Spielberg's adaptation of the classic musical, has been banned in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman and Kuwait. In some cases, like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, the film wasn’t granted a release certificate. In other countries, such as Qatar and Oman, Disney refused to comply with cuts requested by censors.

The move isn’t entirely surprising because Middle Eastern countries have strict censorship mandates regarding sexuality, swearing, and other aspects that don’t comply with the nation’s cultural views. “West Side Story” isn’t profane, but it’s understood that censors weren’t on board with Anybodys, a character who is transgender and portrayed by non-binary actor Iris Menas.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The move isn’t entirely surprising because Middle Eastern countries have strict censorship mandates regarding sexuality, swearing, and other aspects that don’t comply with the nation’s cultural views. “West Side Story” isn’t profane, but it’s understood that censors weren’t on board with Anybodys, a character who is transgender and portrayed by non-binary actor Iris Menas.
Interesting if true; the character has just been a tomboy in every other version of West Side Story I've seen. Did they even have the vocabulary for transgender identities in 1957?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
the Variety article specifically referred to the character as being explicitly transgender though, as one of the reasons for the bans.
Right. That's an interesting choice. I guess we will find out how it is played very soon. I am going to the movie on Saturday.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I suspect it will be Krup You like it always is. I don't see any reason to change that.

But if you really want the answer right now, the soundtrack is already available digitally.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I thought they might have thrown in the f bomb once to get the PG-13 rating or otherwise how would it get it? The teens smoking?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The original Broadway lyrics are intact on all songs with no contemporary swear words substituted. The only exception is America, which mostly uses the ‘61 film lyrics with a few of the OB lyrics in the verse.

Last edited:

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
[NO SPOILERS INTENDED!]
I was lucky to attend a screening on the Fox lot yesterday. The principle cast was in attendance for a in depth Q&A after. I found it to be a very good movie. If you could divide the film into thirds, I felt about one-third of the musical numbers were better than the original, another third were about the same in emotional effectiveness, and the final third were not quite as involving. Of the improved musical sequences, I would say Somewhere, I Feel Pretty, Cool and One Hand One Heart rise to the top. Maybe this is because Spielberg handles emotional sequences so well. These are not the major production numbers, which do come off fine, as they also do under the direction of Jerome Robbins choreography in the original.
I had reservations about Elgort's performance going in, but warmed to his Tony as the film progresses. But, both he and Richard Beymer in the original are not very convincing as gang leader material! Rita Moreno and Rachel Zegler are fantastic and the plot change that allows Moreno to sing "Somewhere" is a major emotional high in the new film.
When I got home, I couldn't wait to put the original film on the projector, and I wasn't disappointed at all. If there is anything to question, it is that both films take you on the same emotional journey without many unique detours. That being said, the clarity and power of the new soundtrack is a tremendous technical advancement over the original, while having Saul Bass on board for the graphic style and credits of the original is hard to top. I can sit down and marvel at the closing graffiti filled credits Bass mounted for the original without even looking at the film itself!
I think you should all enjoy the new film if you can avoid spending movie time comparing works of art created 60 years apart.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
West Side Story is absolutely something that makes sense to me to receive a PG-13 rating.

The rating reason from the MPAA says "Rated PG-13 for some strong violence, strong language, thematic content, suggestive material and brief smoking. "

All of that makes sense given what we already know this story is.

In order to qualify for Oscar nominations,films need to have diversity when casting roles etc..Maybe that is the reason?
I don't think so. I reject the idea that Spielberg would cast a non-binary person in a role just to meet Academy quotas. Spielberg obviously wanted to work with Iris Menas or else they wouldn't be in the film. (For the record, I don't know what Iris Menas' pronouns of choice are; I hope "they" is right.) That being said, I don't think that casting a non-binary actor has to mean the character is portrayed as transgender.

The decision to portray Anybodys as transgender, as reported by Variety, would seem to me to be a creative one by Spielberg and/or Kushner. Adam noted this already, but I don't know enough about the history of trans people to know if the terminology was even around in 1957 or not. I certainly try to be respectful of trans people, but I am not trans, so my knowledge about this area is limited and not firsthand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks