What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Although a box office disappointment, Steven Spielberg’s long-awaited musical, West Side Story, arrives in a gorgeous UHD Blu-ray release from 20th Century Studios/Disney.

West Side Story (2021)

Released: 10 Dec 2021
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 156 min

Director: Steven Spielberg
Genre: Crime, Drama, Musical

Cast: Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler, Ariana DeBose
Writer(s): Tony Kushner, Arthur Laurents

Plot: An adaptation of the 1957 musical, West Side Story explores forbidden love and the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds.

IMDB rating: 7.8
MetaScore: 85

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR...

Continue reading...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am excited by those scores for PQ and SQ, Todd.

When the price drops on this UHD release, it will be mine. But I don't need it before then.

noel aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
You left out WSS was originally conceived by Jerome Robbins and he also co-directed the original winning an Oscar and without JR WSS is ………..
I won’t bother addressing the other elements you point as flaws in the original and corrected in this version as I have elsewhere on other threads .
But calling it a box office disappointed is an understatement. It was a flop.
But I respect your review- it’s a controversial remake no doubt.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your fine review as I concur with your film opinion. I love the original, but this remake is my preference between the two films for the reasons you stated. The loss of life and opportunity was better reflected in the remake. I picked up my 4K Steelbook from BB on Tuesday. I haven't watched it yet, but will do so in the near future.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Ther is one reason to watch this - Ansel Elgort who I think is excellent AND VERY MOVING.

Mark Mayes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Mayes
This film was technically a marvel. But there was no sensuality, no sexual heat---Spielberg does not do that.
But consider "America"... did no one think it owed more to " Bonjour" from "Beauty and the Beast" than to the original Broadway conception?
Rachel Zegler's coy Disney princess was lovely, but the only special performance was Mike Faist.
It's hard to mess up Anita, but DeBose was fine in any case. Moreno's Anita brought naughtiness and sex, so comparison is unfair.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But consider "America"... did no one think it owed more to " Bonjour" from "Beauty and the Beast" than to the original Broadway conception?
"Belle" from Beauty and the Beast did not enter my head at any point while I was watching "America."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justin2001
Recent bookmarks