What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Although a box office disappointment, Steven Spielberg’s long-awaited musical, West Side Story, arrives in a gorgeous UHD Blu-ray release from 20th Century Studios/Disney.

West Side Story (2021)

Released: 10 Dec 2021
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 156 min

Director: Steven Spielberg
Genre: Crime, Drama, Musical

Cast: Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler, Ariana DeBose
Writer(s): Tony Kushner, Arthur Laurents

Plot: An adaptation of the 1957 musical, West Side Story explores forbidden love and the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds.

IMDB rating: 7.8
MetaScore: 85

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR...

Continue reading...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am excited by those scores for PQ and SQ, Todd.

When the price drops on this UHD release, it will be mine. But I don't need it before then.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
You left out WSS was originally conceived by Jerome Robbins and he also co-directed the original winning an Oscar and without JR WSS is ………..
I won’t bother addressing the other elements you point as flaws in the original and corrected in this version as I have elsewhere on other threads .
But calling it a box office disappointed is an understatement. It was a flop.
But I respect your review- it’s a controversial remake no doubt.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your fine review as I concur with your film opinion. I love the original, but this remake is my preference between the two films for the reasons you stated. The loss of life and opportunity was better reflected in the remake. I picked up my 4K Steelbook from BB on Tuesday. I haven't watched it yet, but will do so in the near future.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
This film was technically a marvel. But there was no sensuality, no sexual heat---Spielberg does not do that.
But consider "America"... did no one think it owed more to " Bonjour" from "Beauty and the Beast" than to the original Broadway conception?
Rachel Zegler's coy Disney princess was lovely, but the only special performance was Mike Faist.
It's hard to mess up Anita, but DeBose was fine in any case. Moreno's Anita brought naughtiness and sex, so comparison is unfair.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But consider "America"... did no one think it owed more to " Bonjour" from "Beauty and the Beast" than to the original Broadway conception?
"Belle" from Beauty and the Beast did not enter my head at any point while I was watching "America."

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just got this in 4K. Currently 12.99 from Amazon, but delivery not expected until late January.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
The original is a masterpiece, with expert direction by Robert Wise. Jerome Robbins is credited as co-director, at Wise's insistence. However, he only shot "Prologue", "America", "Cool" and "Something's Coming." Much of those numbers had to be put together in editing, since, as good as he was as a choreographer, he had no talent for film making, which is why he was fired. Wise shot all the remaining numbers, and all the dialog scenes, although all the choreography is Robbins with assistance from Peter Gennaro, and was handled by his assistants, after his removal. The Spielberg film is horrible, on so many levels, for me. The cast is talented, to be sure, but they are let down by pedestrian direction, and a tedious screenplay that undermines the urgency of the piece, that both the original stage production and the 1961 film version have. The setting is preposterous. None of the destruction makes any sense. It looks more like London after The Blitz, than an urban redevelopment project. The stunt casting of Rita Moreno is absurd. Those kids wouldn't have set foot in her store, and her singing "Somewhere" is just awkward and silly. Stupid, actually. The choreography is nowhere near the original film's, nor is the score's orchestrations. I do think that Ansel Elgort is the lone stand-out who rises above the film's mediocrity, even if I prefer the floating-on-air Tony of Richard Beymer, and the unbeatable vocals of Jimmy Bryant, from the original film. Why everyone was fawning over Ariana DeBose's by the numbers portrayal of Anita is a bit perplexing. She's talented and fine in the role, but she plays it exactly how you would expect anyone to play it. This film was a chore to get through, for me. I couldn't wait for it to end, and I'll never, ever revisit it. Why bother, when there's been a perfect film version of this musical for over 50 years? Which is exactly why this film flopped.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Why bother, when there's been a perfect film version of this musical for over 50 years? Which is exactly why this film flopped.
My thoughts exactly. Why remake a beloved film that won 10 academy awards? If you’re going to remake a screen version of a highly respected Broadway show, choose Man Of La Mancha or Paint Your Wagon…both of which had horrible film adaptations. People would love to see those two properly transferred to the big screen.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
The film version Brigadoon was fine.With the big problem it was not filmed on location in Scotland but instead on soundstages due to bad weather in Scotland and to save money.

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
If you’re going to remake a screen version of a highly respected Broadway show, choose Man Of La Mancha or Paint Your Wagon…both of which had horrible film adaptations. People would love to see those two properly transferred to the big screen.
I have long wondered why a highly successful film needs to be remade. I assume they’re just trying to cash in on the success of the previous film hoping to strike gold twice. Invariably the remake usually just embarrasses all those concerned e.g. Ben Hur.

The movies that need to be remade are movies that failed excellent source material. So many horrible film adaptations exist that could be turned into great movies by just revisiting the source. The best example I can think of is The Maltese Falcon. John Huston finally got it right after several other directors’ previous tries and created a masterpiece.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
The film version Brigadoon was fine.With the big problem it was not filmed on location in Scotland but instead on soundstages due to bad weather in Scotland and to save money.
They turned the two singing leads into dancing leads in a show that was chock full of dancing, already. It's a film that could use a proper remake, with the right vocal talent for its leads, imo. I love the stage show, and dislike the film. In fact, I dislike all the film adaptations of L&L Broadway musicals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks