What's new

Universal Reportedly Plans To Remake Jaws, Spielberg May Produce (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I imagine Universal has got all the mileage they can get out of the original film. It's 45 years old, has been on cable and in recurring theatrical release for decades, and on every home video format.

In order to get more mileage out of the franchise with younger audiences, who are used to seamless CG effects and likely do not buy into the old mechanical "Bruce" like some of us older folks, this is probably a necessary step.

As with any of these remakes, this will not replace the original film and should not affect enjoyment of that film. It's just another option. I still enjoy the original, but I'd love to see an update with modern FX.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well I mean they could actually...you know...adapt the book this time.
Possibly, though I tend to agree with what I believe Spielberg has said about the original ending with the shark not being "cinematic enough."

Where the shark simply dies of natural causes after all the fighting, harpoons, barrels, etc., as it's making a final run toward Brody.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Jaws is one of the few films that actually improves upon the novel it is based on. The Godfather is another example.

Agreed. Jaws and The Godfather had some soap opera-ish elements that were not used in the films, and so much for the better!

I would add The Silence of the Lambs to this list. To me, the book was cold and clinical. The 1991 film, however, was amazing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This isn't currently appearing on Deadline or Variety or The Hollywood Reporter.

The "breaking news" item in red at the top of Deadline right now is about Justin Chambers exiting Grey's Anatomy.

Grey's Anatomy is a big deal, but if a Jaws remake were happening, there is no question that it would be the top news item at Deadline and every other trade paper website and movie news blog on the internet.

For what it's worth, I would be completely disinterested in a Jaws remake if it did happen. But I don't think it will.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
IF this is true (and I don't really buy it), the thing that would bother me most is that Spielberg would produce it. If he just didn't stand in Universal's way of remaking it so they could make money, fine but by producing he'd be involved and OK-ing it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No way Spielberg will be involved in any way if, IF, this ever happens.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I have no interest in seeing this one. The original is a classic -- replacing the clunky, uncooperative mechanical shark with a CGI version will not make for a better film.

If all you want to do is to make yet another "predator attacks/eats people" film, why would you need to call it Jaws? Off the top of my head, I can think of:
  • Piranha (series) – First one is a parody of Jaws.
  • The MEG – Giant prehistoric shark. Enjoy being a popcorn shrimp!
  • 42 Meters Down – More sharks.
  • Bait 3D – Great white sharks in a flooded supermarket.
  • Crawl – Alligators in a flooded house.
  • Lake Placid (series) – Crocodiles, and in one, giant snakes.
  • Python, Anaconda – Snakes alive! Their victims, not so much.
That's not counting the Jaws sequels. So leave Jaws in peace!

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Clearly, one of the Universal execs hangs out here and tries to get movie ideas. That exec saw someone's avatar here and said "Hmmm...."

In other words - blame Tino. :laugh:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
One of the best things about Jaws is that you rarely see the shark, which was done out of necessity but it also made the movie scarier. Today they’d use CGI to show the shark constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks