What's new

Well, it's official....I are a colledge stoodent :) (1 Viewer)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Most of you probably don't know that I, like quite a few others on this board, was laid-off from work. My company is outsourcing its production to a new plant in Brazil and quite a few of us were given the axe at the end of February. The positive thing to come out of this is that, due to NAFTA, the state is picking up the tab for continuing education. I'm returning to school full-time this summer to work on finishing my engineering BS, which I should've done a long time ago. Another nifty thing is that I can also draw unemployment for the first two years I'm in school..

This summer I actually have a yoga class for college credit!

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Welcome back!:)

What field of engineering are you studying? I just completed my second year of Electrical. While I was initially intimidated by the degree program, I've really grown to appreciate the science of EE and how its affected the world around us. Who can believe that school could be interesting!? :D

Joe S

Second Unit
Good luck with college. Great that you can finish your BS.

I went back to school in January under the Trade Adjustment Act program after over a year of unemployment. I already had a BSEE from 1974, but there were very few engineering jobs in my area. I had decided to study "Energy Systems Technology" which is Heating and Cooling and control systems.

Early last month, I got a call from one of the companies I had been talking to over the past year. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I withdrew from classes and went back to work. I'm an outsourced Engineer at an aerospace company I had worked for in the 1980's. A lot of people I worked with back then had since retired (or gotten an early retirement package) and went back to work there as outsourced workers. I think there will be enough work to keep me busy, but I suppose there is some risk that the main military program I work on might get slashed at some point.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Mike - I'll be majoring in Mechanical Engineering. It seemed like the best fit for me, and MEs are in very high demand around this area...

Chu - Hell yeah! I've been on it now for almost 2 months :)

Joe - that's pretty cool. I'm tied into the TAA and TRA programs as well.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Not to pry into personal/business matters Tim, but you're still allowed to draw unemployment for your first two years of university? In Canada, we have a similiar arrangment for colleges, but not for universities. Sounds like a great deal. Good luck!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Tim just wanted to wish you good luck going back to school.

Spring break rules. Unless it is spent in South Dakota, in which case you run the risk of being snowed in.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
good luck!
that's a hell of a deal you're getting, beats the crap out of the 80k or so in student loans I have :)

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Tim,

Which school will you be attending? UK has a very good engineering program. The summer "sights" around campus aren't to shabby either...if you know what I mean ;)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Mike, that is correct. I can still draw unemployment for two years no matter which educational institution I attend. Many of my fellow laid-off coworkers are returning to tech schools, but I have higher ambitions :)

Brandon, I'll be attending the UK engineering school located in Paducah that is attached to PCC. I remember those scantily-clad college girls from my previous university days, though. That's another perk of the yoga class I'm taking. Too bad my girlfriend would probably disagree...

Thanks everybody for the words of encouragement. I have a feeling I'm gonna need them in a few more years...

Joe S

Second Unit
The TAA/TRA programs allow you to collect while attending school for up to 2 years. There is also a Health Care Tax Credit if you are enrolled in a qualified Medical Insurance plan.

It's a great program for someone who doesn't have a degree.

My only regret in "dropping out" to take a job is missing the "Summer Sights" on campus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks