What's new

Well,I put a hold on it (1 Viewer)

Jim Thompson

Agent
I auditioned a Krell KAV 500 in my home .I fell in love with

it.The Amp,while being new,has been discontinued.For this reason ,I can buy this amp for 2500.This amp had a suggested retail of 4500.I put some money on it to hold it.My question to anyone who cares to give an opinion,is what do ya think?I've been told,by even another dealer ,when I was inquiring about their Rotel line,that I wouldn't be happy with anything less after having had that amp.I know I can spend less on quality amplifiers,but I have not auditioned any others in my home.Of those I've talked to though,the common response is the same as above.So I am putting this question out there for feedback.Thanks

J

John Morris

Hi Jim,

IMO, my only question is almost the same one that you already faced... is the Krell 100wpc enough to drive your speakers to the levels that you like??? If so, and I'm guessing that you already decided that since you tested it in your home, that it does,... then go for it! Krell is wonderfully clean, clear, neutral(much more so than the Rotels I've heard, IMO), and if you like it, you should get it. Make sure that since you are buying it new from an authorized dealer, that they are giving you the full manufacturer's warranty. And then... once you get it home; just forget all about your decision and Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy the music!!!

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

Your talking apples and oranges here. Rotel is considered an entry level audiophile product while Krell is anything but entry level. You can't compare the two. A Krell at that kind of discount is still much more expensive than a comparably powered Rotel. Obviously it sounds great in your system, so go for it.

Larry.

Jim Thompson

Agent
Thans for the responses,
John,
Well I wondered abot that,but I can surpass 105db
now with the internal 100 watt amps in my Yamaha 2095.Let's just say the Krell amp opened my eyes and and did the job with more authority.Without the brite coloring of the Yamahas amps.
I have Paradigm speakers ,which I think are at 93db sensitivity,not absolutely sure.They are also nominally rated at 6 ohm.So technically,given that the Krell actually does double its power at 4 ohm to 200 watts per channel,I'm really looking at more like 150 watts per channel I believe.In the end nothing beats an in-house audition,and it suited up just fine:) As far as the warrenty,yes and I have a long relationship with this dealer who has been a Krell dealer for as long as I can remember and my dealings with them go back to the late eighties.
Larry,
Oh, I wasn't trying to really compare them directly.It's just that this is putting me in the transition to seperates.I have a Yamaha 2095 receiver right now.I had actually been thinking about upgrading to the Denon 4802 until I auditioned this amp at home.Now I know I must move onto seperates and that I've bought my last receiver.I wasn't excluding other amplifiers either,the Rotel was just an example.I've also contemplated auditioning a Sunfire,& a B&K piece as well.There are also some other amplifiers I've heard good things about in Mags and on here.I've been told that I wouldn't be really happy with another less expensive amp ,for the 2500 I'm paying,at least not the one's I named above.I'm just looking for some feedback on what you guys think.All I know is that I really liked the sound of the Krell.The improvement to my system was dramatic.Much more than I had anticipated.I had auditioned the RXV-1 in my home and wasn't impressed.At least not for the price and comparing it to my 2095.I know 2500 for a 4500 amp is a pretty good deal,but I also understand the theory of diminishing returns.I guess I'm wanting some validation ;)With seamingly bargain audiophile amps like Rotel,ATI,Outlaw and so on I have to ask.
BTW I don't think I'd spend 4500 on an amp.I was thinking that and I thought I would've never spent the 5800 I spent on my Elite610 for a TV either;)It's a sickness I tell ya.I've already decided that in a few years I 'll probably go to FPTV.I was talking to my dealer about what my pre pro choices were,and now he's telling me about a new Krell piece coming at around 4000.he mentioned this when I mentioned being interested in the Anthem piece.I tell ya:D

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
That is an excellent price on the Krell unit and I would not pass it up. In fact if you don't buy it, let me know where it is and I might do it. Even at 100w per channel, unless you have a very large listening room, that Krell will have more than ample power to drive your speakers.

Jim Thompson

Agent
Manojm,
Well I appreciate that. I'm pretty sure I am going to
buy the amp.I was just lookng for some validation.Good deal or not,it is still a chunk of change:).I just want to be absolutely sure.I put a little hold money on it,so I've practically made up my mind already.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Let me chime in with validation as well. I bought a Krell 5-ch amp last fall and couldn't be happier. The amp is clean, never struggles, and sounds wonderful. The sound has only gotten better as the amp and speakers have broken in.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Krell stable into 1 ohm.? If so it should be able to output 800 watts for short bursts. I think it would take a very esoteric speaker for the Krell to come up short on power with.

Jim Thompson

Agent
Jack,

I'm not sure,but I know it is stable down to at least 2 ohm

My speakers sre nominally rated at 6 ohm though,so that would roughly be interpreted as 150 watts in my situation at that impedance.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Jim

The nice thing about buying this amp is that you will not need to change it for years. It should drive any speakers you will wish to buy in the future. With receivers, you change units as your needs change, as new formats come out etc. etc. With a good amp, it will stay there, and your concern will then turn to obtaining a good upgradeable pre-amp in the future. With that same philosophy, I just bought a Classe CAV-150 6 channel amp. It is a couple of years old, but I got it for $1300 (vs. the retail of $3700). This will stay in my system for a long time (unless I get bored), and this week I also get an Anthem AVM20, which is an upgradeable pre-pro. If you wanted to upgrade from the formats your Yamaha offers, and weren't ready to part with a lot more money, I would consider something like the Outlaw pre-amp.

Jim Thompson

Agent
Actually,I contemplated buying the whole upgrade now,but I
just purchased a truck,got to put a fence and a mini barn up.Basically ,I'm broke at the moment until I make some more HT money.:frowning: So I'll have to settle for the amp.The Krell has balanced inputs,so it would be an injustice not to buy a pre amp that could accomodate them.I'm araid the Outlaw wouldn't fir the bill in that regard.Plus I'm not crazy about how it looks.I was actually thinking about the Anthem AVM20 myself you lucky dog;).Since it will be awhile before I upgrade the pre/pro, I may end up with the new Krell piece coming out at around $4000.I'll have to wait and see what it's like.I know I've heard a lot of good things aout the Anthem piece.We'll see.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

There is on audiogon a Classe SSP-25 pre-amp that is being advertised for about $1950, but I know that he will go lower. That is a pretty good piece, and does really well on 2-channel also. It may be worth a look...

Jim Thompson

Agent
O.K. I vaguely remember them.i believe I've read reviews of their pieces before.THe only thing is that when I upgrade I really want a piece that is software ugradeable.I like to get the latest processing.I don't want to have to buy a new pre/pro when the next great surround technology comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks