What's new

Well I have one last question (1 Viewer)

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
As some of you recall. Im in the market "soon than I thought" for a sub. I has discussed SVS with you and now im asking .....IF you think a DIY sonotube with a nice 15" sub and a sepparate amp will do me as well as a SVS?

Im on another forum with people and they say the sonotubes are great and beat subs many times their price.

What do you think? And try and be honest and not a loyalist to a brand....Thanks for your time, and help...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
From what I've gathered, you can definitely make your own sub comparable to a SVS at a cheaper price. You just need time and patience. Go for it!

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
WOW..I really didnt expect to hear that...Most people here really make these SVS's out to be the GODS of thunder!!!....Im sure they are great, but I was also hoping you could make something as good...Great!

SO I guess im gonna go the diy sonotube instead of SVS...Thanks

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
okokooooooK.....IM trying to use my head and really really think all this through.
Im excited about building a sonotube...BUT....

Should I keep my DCM's and upgrade my front L&R Bose 301's to " i know none of you here like them"...But....Some Cerwin Vega 15" loud speakers?

I bought a pair of AT-12's back in like 1991 and LOVED them. I have missed them since I decided to go with bookshelf speakers.

I know none of you here like Cerwin Vegas but if you ever heard them PUP out some sweet base mixed with their ear spliting highs...Its really awesome.

I dont know how the new ones compare with the old school ones, but if they are good....Its very tempting to go this route.

The good would be....I would still have my "pretty good" DCM's...I could use all 4 of my 301's for my 4 surrounds "and lose the cheap rears I just bought"...and have the VEGAS pumping out the louds in the front....

Please be patient with me, as this is a once in a 10 - 15 year thing for me...Thanks guys.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike:

None other than the HTF's most prolific member, Patrick Sun, has done a number of the DIY Sonotube projects. Check out his homepage here and click on any of the links to his DIY sub projects and you'll get an excellent idea of the type of work you're in for...along with needed tools and supplies. Good luck!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not that difficult as long as you have the tools and time to build the enclosure. You don't even have to understand subwoofer design since we can step you through that process. Getting the appropriate parts is easy. In fact, the Torrent Audio Mistral is the same driver that SVS used to use in their Plus series (or as close as one can get without buying an SVS sub).

The biggest benefit of DIY is the lack of profit margin or shipping involved. SVS and others are constrained by this and have to make design changes to keep the size of the enclosure and/or weight below the level shippers require. They also have to make a profit. We build for the love of bass.

That being said, you may want to start a thread in the DIY section with the following information: Budget - That's usually the largest factor in what parts you buy. Size - How much realestate can you give up in your listening room? Both footprint and vertically. Use - Music, movies or both? What types? Action movies have loads of low frequency information and but the biggest strain on a sub. Room - How large is it? Sealed or open to the rest of the house? Expectations - What type of response do you want? Be realistic also. You can't get 120db at 20hz out of a sub that is 12" square and a $250 budget. Tools - What do you have?

As for the CV speakers, get some nice bookshelf speakers and a sub. Better yet, build some speakers next. There are hundreds of designs all over the web and you will already have the practice of building stuff.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks