What's new

Weird problem with Infocus X1 projector (1 Viewer)

griddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ingrid
I have been using this projector just fine for over a year. Recently it has started doing something really strange. Three vertical white lines appear on the right side of the screen extending the whole height of the screen. Each line is maybe a bit over an inch wide. I can still watch the movie but it is very distracting and I'm afraid it will just keep getting worse. If I play the movie long enough, one or two of the lines will disappear -- well, they will not totally be gone, they will no longer be white but you can still see them as shadows (as if they are now clear instead of white). WTF?

Please help!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The X1 was my first projector back in the day. This does not sound good. I would try a new cable and see what happens. Does this happen with all inputs? Does it happen with DVD's, TV, everything? How is it hooked up now, and to what source?

griddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ingrid
This projector is hooked up only to a DVD player so I can't say whether it happens with any other source. I have had mice chew through the cable (which runs through my drop ceiling) but that usually results in the projector not working at all. I will try a new cable and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I give up. This is the second Infocus X1 I've had and I've experienced bulb problems and now I'm broke. So, I sure hope a new cable is the answer!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Are you using the S-video input or the VGA/component input? If a new cable doesn't work, you can try the input you're not using now. Then if it still happens, you'll know it's the projector.

griddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ingrid
I spoke with the repair tech at a local home theater place and he said it "would be an expensive fix", that it was an optical problem that he'd seen before. He wouldn't even touch my Infocus projector. So I guess I will live with the 3 vertical lines on my screen. After my experience with Infocus (this is my second one) I do NOT recommend this machine. If somebody wants to trade me my 2 Infocus X1 machines (I can't recall exactly what went wrong with the first one but I kept it just in case for parts) for one working projector, let me know. I would love to trade! As long as the projector will work with my set up here.

griddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ingrid
I wish I could tell you what you were talking about but I don't. They are all just a bunch of wires to me. It is all Greek to me. I had the system professionally installed by someone who knew what they were doing. I know nothing about electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks