What's new

Weekly Roundup 11/5 (TV Tune-In Time!) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last, best hope for peace.
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo__SamsClb_Borders
Babylon 5: Comp. 1st Ssn_$74.99__$79.99__$99.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$99.99
Band of Brothers_________$89.99__$79.99__$79.99__$72.99__$_N/A__$102.99
Blues Clues:Get/Know Joe_$14.99__$19.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
The Dead Zone: The Pilot_$18.74__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$23.99
Disney's Very Merry Xmas_$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$16.99
Divine/Ya-Ya S-Hood (WS)_$20.24__$19.99__$16.99__$17.29__$_N/A___$23.99
Felicity: Comp. 1st Ssn__$44.99__$49.99__$59.99__$_N/A___$53.98__$79.99
Hairspray - SE___________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
Hawk The Slayer__________$18.71__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Houseboat________________$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
Once & Again: 1st Season_$44.99__$49.99__$59.99__$_N/A___$53.98__$79.99
Pumpkin__________________$20.24__$22.99__$19.99__$18.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
SpongeBob Squarepants #3_$14.99__$16.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
Sports Night-Comp Series_$44.99__$49.99__$59.99__$_N/A___$53.98__$79.99
Star Trek: TNG -Season 5_$99.99__$99.99_$149.98__$89.99__$95.98__$_N/A_
To Catch A Thief_________$20.23__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
The X-Files Season 6_____$112.49_$99.99_$149.98__$99.99__$99.98__$99.95
[/c]
* This week's TV-themed Roundup is sponsored in part by TVShowsOnDVD.com, where I help out when I'm not tallying Roundups.:D We just celebrated our first anniversary this past Friday! If you're into TV-on-DVD, why don't you swing by and give it a looksee? Many of these new TV titles are - or soon will be - reviewed there.
* BE CAREFUL! Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.
* Non-OAR discs are, as usual, entirely left off the Roundup. Examples: The PowerPuff Girls Movie, Toy Soldiers and Return to the Blue Lagoon.
* CATALOG TITLE SLOW-BOAT ALERT! Several of this week's new releases are catalog films with no advertisements in the circulars. That usually translates into "you won't find it on Tuesday"! Expect titles like Hawk The Slayer, Houseboat, & To Catch A Thief to show up in the chain stores no sooner than the weekend, and perhaps in a week...or two.
* Best Buy has two free bonus disc offers this week: with Band of Brothers you will get a free DVD copy of a TV-movie from a few years back called When Trumpets Fade (normally sells for $9.99). The other one, of course, is the normal bonus disc to go along with a TNG box set. TNG Season 5's free disc is a DVD with two more featurettes in the style of those found in the main set: "Alien Speak" and "Intergalactic Guest Stars".
. . . . .
* OR, if you prefer, you can pre-order Band of Brothers from BB.COM and get a $25 digital coupon! That's a much better deal than the free disc, if you ask me.
* And Star Trek fans really ought to click HERE and read up on the $25 Mail-In Rebate ($30 Canadian; offer void in Quebec) for purchasing TNG seasons 5, 6, and 7 before the end of 2003! Thank you, Paramount! Resistance is futile!
* K-Mart's going for the loss-leader again, with Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood at a mere $14.95!. They also have SpongeBob SquarePants #3: Sea Stories for the same $14.95 price. Expect Ya-Ya to only be stocked in Fullscreen versions, so be prepared to snag a flyer and head to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, or Circuit City for the pricematch...depending on who's stocking any Widescreen copies!
* Meanwhile, Target has the nicest prices on Felicity: The Complete First Season, Plus Pilot and on Sports Night: The Complete Series Plus Pilot Episode, both for $39.99 each! No word on Once & Again, sorry! However, they DO have X-Files Season 6 for $99.99, Band of Brothers for $79.99, Ya-Ya Sisterhood for $16.99, and SpongeBob Squarepants for $14.99. U2 fans can snag the Limited Edition "Best of 1990-2000" CD set, with a bonus DVD, for a mere $14.88.
* As a reminder, Borders has a coupon good for 15% off all DVDs, good until 11/8th. That gives you enough time to pick up some real bargains on new releases, if your local store stocks the titles you want. Examples include Disney's Very Merry Christmas Sing Along Songs for a mere $14.44 after the coupon is applied. Or use the coupon to snag Blue's Clues: Get To Know Joe OR, better yet, To Catch A Thief...for just $16.99! In the meantime, "Trust No One"...except ME to tell you to snag X-Files Season 6 with this coupon for a price-busting $84.96 before tax! :eek: What are you waiting for? Find a Borders near you...hurry!! ;)
* Wal-Mart has SpongeBob SquarePants for $14.95, and Band of Brothers at "EDLP", which apparently stands for "E)very D)ay L)ow P)rice". I'm sure they have more than that at decent prices; check your local stores for their individual bargains and local pre-shop-price-matches.
* CompUSA is taking a nap this week. I think it's time for me to find my pillow as well...g'night.
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• Behind the Sun $29.99 $19.99
• Beneath Loch Ness $29.99 $19.99
• Shipping News, The (Special Edition) $29.99 $19.99

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dave - As usual, thanks for your efforts on the Weekly Roundup. I find your posts invaluable in hunting down the best deals.
I wanted to call your attention something in light of your "no MAR" policy on list inclusions. The aspect ratio of The Powerpuff Girls Movie released by Warner Bros. on 11/5 is pan-n-scan 1.33:1, not OAR. Cartoon Network will supposedly be releasing the film on DVD in 2003 in it's correct theatrical ratio of 1.85:1. The current WB job, however, is hacked.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thank you VERY much, Doug. No PowerPuff fans in this house, so I wasn't keeping up with it. Though I should have thought about the AR's of the various Pokemon movies, and realized that Warner would play Buttercup and friends the same way. At least I should have checked.
Glad to see that a WS version is being considered. Since I've never actually witnessed an upgrade to an animated kiddie title of this caliber, I'll just wait and see if it really happens before I get too excited! :)
In the meantime, I have appropriated re-tooled the Roundup. Thanks again!

Carlos V III

Stunt Coordinator
Expensive month! Thanks Goodness for Amazon Canada!:emoji_thumbsup:
Got ST:TNG Season 5 and Babylon 5 Season 1 on order from them. Understand B5 has been pushed back one week in Canada, but at their price, I'll wait.
Still waiting on Farscape Season 1 from last week and looking at Highlander Season 1 and South Park Season 1 for next week.
Damn this hobby gets expensive! :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I'd forgotten to mention this in the Roundup!
Best Buy has a preferred customer weekend coming up next Friday-Monday. There are apparently 4 versions of the coupon sets showing up in people's mailboxes:
Set 1:
1) "10% off regularly priced Music & Movie titles, any combination. Limit 5 items"
2) "10% off Computer Software $19.99 & up"
3) "10% off any single item (many restrictions apply)"
Set 2:
1) "10% off regularly priced Music & Movie titles, any combination. Limit 5 items"
2) "$3 off any Warner Bros. Special Edition DVD" (this apparently is for the 2-Disc SE's: Amadeus, Cuckoo's Nest, Unforgiven, True Romance, Singin' In The Rain)
Set 3:
2) "Buy Any Ink Cartridge $24.99 & up, get $5 off the second of equal or lesser value. Limit 2"
Set 4:
1) "10% off any single item (many restrictions apply)"
2) "$3 off any Warner Bros. Special Edition DVD"
3) "5000 extra Reward Zone points with any purchase"
I myself would be happiest with Set 2! However, with all the money I'm outlaying this week on other stuff, I'm not sure I'd be able to take advantage of the Warners coupon! :frowning:
In any case, the 10% off a DVD would be great to use with TNG Season 5, so I can secure the Bonus disc for the same price as a Costco purchase!!! :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Techinically Season 5 is on Sale so BB Might deny use of the Coupon it's supposed to be regularly priced Items only also will tey ave any sets left by next Friday? After What BB Pulled on me this week (See the Store Feedback Forum) I'll give my Money to COSTCO

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Nothing for this week, as all these television shows don't appeal to me at all. But next week will be better. I know it, mwhuauhahahauah. ;)

Adrian_S

Second Unit
So is the $25 rebate offer for STNG box sets only available at amazon or will Bestbuy carry it as well?

Brian E

Screenwriter
Thank goodness I'm getting BoB and B5 from Amazon.ca for a little over $100. This week is going to be expensive.

Hopefully the BB/Suncoast sets will have the TNG rebate coupon.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey Andrea...thanks for the Ya-Ya rebate!
Adrian: the Paramount ad only mentioned Amazon as a "co-op" thing (in other words, Amazon helped pay for the ad in exchange for a mention). The rebate coupon will surely be "all over the place", at least for a while. Otherwise, advertising it in TV Guide is counter-productive.
Dave, about this:Season 5 is NOT on sale at Best Buy; it is being sold at its everyday price of $99.99; if you mean the bonus disc it is exactly that: A BONUS item. It's meant to convince you to shop there instead of at, say, Costco. My local store always has plenty of copies of the TNG sets for weeks after ship date, so I doubt I have problems waiting until the ride home from work on Friday. As for the problems you had with BestBuy.COM, that's not a Roundup issue, so I posted my take on it in your thread. I don't know if you'll enjoy what I say, so be warned going in. Sorry.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nothin' for me this week, Dave. But it seems to me there was an item or two I may be getting next week. :D A good time to have a "down" week, I think!
Where'dja get the breakdown on the different BestBuy coupons being sent out for this coming weekend (not that we've gotten any in our house yet:angry: )?
Great job as always!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hey, Dave, got any early hints at the prices for LOTR Extended and AOTC? I know it's a bit early, but I'm just too damn anxious!;)

Jodee

Screenwriter
I am forfeiting the TNG bonus disc at Best Buy. I bought mine at Amazon.ca for about $75 US-- I doubt the two featurettes would be worth $25.

There are just too many box sets I want and I need to save $$$ whereever possible. I also got X-Files S6 for $74 and Band of Brothers for $57.

I saved quite a lot of money by ordering from Canada.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Dave, got any early hints at the prices for LOTR Extended and AOTC? I know it's a bit early, but I'm just too damn anxious!
Oh yeah! Those are what I was thinking of! :D
How about it, Dave?!?! Is there any way to get a discussion started (maybe in a separate thread) without violating forum rules? ;)
**jumping up and down like I gotta pee--but simply wanting to know when and where I'll be heading next week for these two major releases** :D

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Anyone know what's so special about the 2-disc SE (re)-release of "The Grinch" (the Jim Carrey one) that's coming out this Tuesday? I saw a mention of it in this week's Target ad...

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I also wanted to know if there are any deals on the Grinch DE. I think they probably condensed the separate widescreen and fullscreen versions into a single two-disc set like MIB, but there may be some new material. I'll pick it up if its on sale anywhere. I think MIB DE was on sale for $15.99. So anyone know if it will be on sale anywhere this week?

christopherJohn

Auditioning
Dave, i received these best buy coupons in the mail the other day..

2) "10% off TV's $299 and up"

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I wonder if there's any chance that Felicity/ Once & Again/ Sports Night might show up at Costco on Tuesday morning?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks