What's new

Weekly Roundup 11/5 (TV Tune-In Time!) (1 Viewer)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Here are some details from the "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" Re-issue.

2-Disc Set - DISC ONE: Making-of; Deleted scenes; Outtakes; Who School; Makeup application design; Seussian Set Decoration; Visual effects; "Where Are You Christmas?" music video by Faith Hill; Wholiday recipes; Theatrical trailer; DVD-ROM: Grinch game; Sing-along songs; Read-along; Dress The Grinch; Rhyme Time.

DISC TWO: Audio commentary by director Ron Howard and producer Brian Grazer; Deleted scenes; outtakes; "The Cat In The Hat" theatrical sneak preview; DVD-ROM: Printable coloring sheet; Print your own holiday cards; Brain-teasing puzzles; Wholiday recipes; Games.

One of the discs will be the widescreen version, the other is the pan & scan version. Don't know if the widescreen version is on disc 1 or 2. If its on disc 2, I'll pick it up & dump my other copy. I would love to hear a Ron Howard commentary but not if I have to watch the pan & scan version.

Joe

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Season 5 is NOT on sale at Best Buy; it is being sold at its everyday price of $99.99
Actually, the $99.99 is a sale price. For each of the first four sets, they ran the sale price for the first week, then returned to the regular price of $109.99 after that. And, with the recent price increases, the everyday price on TNG box sets is now supposed to be $114.99 though you can still find a few marked $109.99.

So, unless they're running a special deal on Season 5, they should be on sale for $99.99 this first week, then go up to $114.99 next Sunday.

Also worthy of note that Kmart continues "Spider-Man" at an advertised price of $14.87 this week. I stopped, but they were sold-out of all SM DVD's of any kind, so I ended up getting a WS copy at Wal-Mart for $14.77 instead. Shame that Kmart is trying to pump business by taking a loss leader position on these new release DVD's, but either do not stock enough copies in the first place or only stock the full-screen versions. Either way, everyone ends up giving their money to the Kmart's competition instead. Doesn't seem like bankruptcy has resulted in any smarter management at the Big K.

Also saw piles of "Spider-Man" Gift Sets at Wal-Mart ($32.99) and Best Buy ($39.99), so it's apparently not all that "limited" after all.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I believe the widescreen version of The Grinch is on Disc 2.

Thanks to the Evil Pan & Scan Monster, instead of buying two DVDs this week, I'm buying nothing! (Guilty pleasure Toy Soldiers and Powerpuff Girls for my niece).

Nice to save money, but I'd rather be able to buy those discs. . .

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Nothing this week... but next week I have:
Lord of the Rings: Collector's Gift Set
and
Star Wars: Episode II :eek: :eek: (bye bye $80 shipped)
Should have them on Thursday if my store keeps with its regular shipping scheme :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the $99.99 is a sale price. For each of the first four sets, they ran the sale price for the first week, then returned to the regular price of $109.99 after that. And, with the recent price increases, the everyday price on TNG box sets is now supposed to be $114.99 though you can still find a few marked $109.99.
So, unless they're running a special deal on Season 5, they should be on sale for $99.99 this first week, then go up to $114.99 next Sunday.
I will let any BB employees reading this give DEFINATIVE answers on this issue.
But all I know is that BB.COM deals with sale prices by showing the normal price, crossing it out, and then when you put it in your cart it shows the new price. TNG S5 (and S6 and S7, for that matter) do NOT do that. Right off the bat, $99.99...no crossed out numbers. I interpret that as "its not a sale price; it's the everyday price".
That's not to say BB can't mark it up any time they want to, however. But if it's "regularly priced" at $99.99 on Friday, and in stock, and I (or rather my wife) gets coupons, I'll be able to get the discount. OTOH, the cash register folks at my local store have never actually made the distinction about sale items on this coupon anyway, so for me personally I'll probably get the discount regardless. YMMV.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Set 2:
1) "10% off regularly priced Music & Movie titles, any combination. Limit 5 items"
2) "$3 off any Warner Bros. Special Edition DVD" (this apparently is for the 2-Disc SE's: Amadeus, Cuckoo's Nest, Unforgiven, True Romance, Singin' In The Rain)
3) "10% off any single item (many restrictions apply)"
Set 3:
1) "10% off regularly priced Music & Movie titles, any combination. Limit 5 items"
2) "Buy Any Ink Cartridge $24.99 & up, get $5 off the second of equal or lesser value. Limit 2"
3) "10% off any single item (many restrictions apply)"
Set 4:
1) "10% off any single item (many restrictions apply)"
2) "$3 off any Warner Bros. Special Edition DVD"
3) "5000 extra Reward Zone points with any purchase"
I myself would be happiest with Set 2! However, with all the money I'm outlaying this week on other stuff, I'm not sure I'd be able to take advantage of the Warners coupon! :frowning:
I didn't get set 2. I didn't even get set 4. I got set 3.
I got more ink than I need already. What I wanted was DVDs!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, this is probably better for the "personal odyssey" thread (in fact, I'll repeat it there), but I realized today that every time we get BB coupons, we also get (give or take a day) some coupons for Bed, Bath, & Beyond. Anyone else experience this?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this in a separate thread, but it bears repeating here:
K-Mart continues to show Spiderman for $14.87 in their latest ad circular:

And reports are that Widescreen is being stocked on this one, so go snag it. Or snag the ad and head off somewhere (Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, or Circuit City) for a pricematch.
You shouldn't have too much trouble getting it cheap this week!

GaryEA

Second Unit
Two things...
How I managed to get on Best Buy's mailing list to get coupons is a mystery to me, but I'm apparently on it now. A mailing with coupon set #2 arrived on Saturday.
Maybe using a check card does the trick. :)
Also, if anybody ever frequents Toys R Us and sometimes wishes they would stock the WS editions of new releases that have dual releases, the latest Sunday circular has a glimmer of hope on some titles.
"The Big Toy Book" has Spider-Man, Episode II and MIB II advertised for both widescreen and full, all at $19.99. They also have LOTR Extended Cut listed for $29.99.
I know these aren't bargain prices, but if you're like me and have a gift card gathering dust, it's a great way to burn off some of those Geoffrey Dollars.
-g
(Edited to add the stuff about TRU)

Jodee

Screenwriter
Was in Costco today and they did not have any of the Buena Vista TV show sets. I was disappointed because I might be tempted to throw in Felicity or Sports Night (both sight unseen for me) into my cart if they had them for a low price. (I already have Once & Again on the way from DVD Empire.)

They did have Baylon 5, however for $69.99.

I also noticed they just got in the Chronicles of Narnia box set (that came out a few months back) for the low price of $37.99. I have never seen this production, but I am tempted by that price. According to DVD Price Search that is a super low price.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
The new Dave Matthews Band DVD - Live at Folsom Field Boulder Colorado 7.11.01 is on sale at Circuit City for $18.99. Best Buy had it in their ad for $19.99.

Hopefully it looks better than the samples in the Busted Stuff Bonus DVD.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Just to let you all know. This caught me by surprise as well on Sunday. Target is running Sports Night for $39.99. I just got back from there and they had more than a few copies in stock.

They're also running Felicity for $39.99 as well.

Good luck.

Glen

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well of course my set of B5 was delayed by Amazon Canade. I'd be tempted to get it at costco if I was'nt paying $46 from Amazon.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
And for those of you who may still be interested in the 2-disc DE release of "The Grinch"...Target has it on sale for $16-something; I forget the exact price but I do know it ain't $19.99 like at Best Buy or Kmart--at least according to their online price listings.
I'm getting it only because I got stuck with the original FS version--don't ask me how that happened... :angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Backing up Jodee's post, but also disputing a portion of it:
Costco Bonanza!
$69.99 Babylon 5
$37.99 Chronicles of Narnia Boxset
$39.99 Disney's Very Merry Xmas/Mickey's Magical Xmas/Mickey's Once Upon A Xmas 3-pack
$39.99 Felicity S1
$39.99 Once & Again S1
$13.99 Spongebob Squarepants: Sea Stories
Costco did NOT have Sports Night at my location!
I also was in Best Buy. I concede that their price for TNG S5 is $109.99 everyday, with a $99.99 sale price. Obviously some confusion going on over at BB.com over how the sale price is displayed. Maybe that was a pre-order special; I dunno. In any case, I'm still holding off until Friday to buy that as I have nothing to lose...both BB and Costco have 30+ copies and the prices won't change before Friday night and maybe I'll get lucky with the BB coupon and get the 10% off $99, and end up with the bonus disc to boot. If not, I won't cry about it.
BB also had "To Catch A Thief" in stock. Surprise, surprise!
Also note that BB.COM has a sale on HBO TV Collector sets!. Online only, but I suspect you can still do in-store pick-up.
A friend of mine was able to buy Highlander Season 1 a week early today. I best not reveal the name of the store that broke the street date...forum rules, y'know. He paid $59.99 for it.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Dave, that's good to hear that your Costco has some of the TV sets. Maybe mine just hasn't put them out yet. They are usually good at that sort of thing, but I remember when the Godfather release date and I had to go to BB to buy it for a few dollars more. (The customer "service" person at Costco even verified they had it in the back, but apparently wouldn't send someone to put it out for me to buy.)

I go to Costco pretty much on a weekly basis so maybe they'll have them next time I'm in.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, there was another Costco item I forgot to mention!

A 10-pack of the "Baby Einstein" series (billed as "the complete collection", but I'm not sure that's true...not that I bothered to look) for $99.99. This is good for any parent with the dough to blow, but it's GREAT for daycares and babysitting services!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks