What's new

Weekly Roundup 1/21 (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks as always for the Roundup David. I was seriously thinking about picking up The Bourne Identity this week until I got the latest HTF newsletter. I think I'll be spending my $15.99 at the Home Theater Forum Donation Drive 2003 this week instead. I'm know the HTF & Weekly Roundup has saved me at least that much in the past year alone.
Chris S.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
"Ghost" for $9 at Circuit City? Sounds good. Thanks for posting Patrick. For some reason my paper didn't get a CC flyer today.

Dean

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Don't miss out on COUPLING series 1...it's hysterical. And series 3 starts tonight on BBC America!
I will be at Best Buy when they open Tuesday for it. Can't miss my favorite episode, "The Girl with Two Breasts".

As for the S3 premiere, the last 2 minutes was the biggest laugh I've had all week.

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
A few details on Target's "Low Price". What that means is that Target is going to wait and see how other stores will set their prices and Target will set theirs appropriately, whether it's the same, lower or slightly higher. This also sometimes means that individual stores can set their prices lower if needed.

So "Low Price" is not a guarantee of having the lowest price, it's just a generic term for "we aren't printing our prices just yet".

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A few details on Target's "Low Price". What that means is that Target is going to wait and see how other stores will set their prices and Target will set theirs appropriately, whether it's the same, lower or slightly higher. This also sometimes means that individual stores can set their prices lower if needed.
So "Low Price" is not a guarantee of having the lowest price, it's just a generic term for "we aren't printing our prices just yet".
Actually, what you said describes Wal-Mart to a "T".
Target...um, no.
Their price is set in advance. However, their prices are often set below "MAP", which is short for "Minimum Advertised Price". Here's the logic:
The agreements between the retailers and the studios are that "we, the studios, will pay you hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions or tens of millions) of dollars per year in 'co-op advertising' (we help you pay for your ads), but in return you must do a few things for us: honor street dates is one of them, honor MAP is another".
"Honoring MAP" does NOT mean you CAN'T *sell* something for BELOW the MAP price. It just means you can't *advertise* that price. If you do, then the studio can feel free to withhold whatever portion of the co-op advertising they feel is a proper "punishment". It's all quiet and behind the scenes. But it cuts into a retailer's revenue.
Often a retailer will decide to advertise the too-low price anyway, because they feel the increased revenue of getting butts in the store will offset the decreased revenue of a studio that takes away co-op dollars. IF the studio even pays attention to it, AND remembers to "punish" them. Which, they usually do...the studios want to save money, too. :)
But most times (95%+) the retailer will avoid losing out on those dollars by simply saying in their ads "low price" or "hot price" or whatever. Yes, it gives them room to manuever if a competitor goes for less. But that's more Wal-Mart's style, not Target's. They decide on a killer price right off the bat, and stick to it. They just don't say what it is, so they can get YOUR money AND the studio's money and have it both ways! :D
Here's the "code": the price of the "low price"/"hot price" item TENDS to be (not always is) the price of the item it is adjacent to in the ad. Of course, this doesn't work if there is nothing it's adjacent to, like in this week's Target ad! :laugh: Oh, and retailers have caught on to the fact that we've caught on to this, so they are purposely screwing that up so that guys like me "can't tell". I've got other ways, though! :wink:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've never understood why the studios give a crap about how a retailer prices their product. The retailer has already paid the studio the price they were asking for the product so technically it's not even their product anymore, it belongs to the retailer.

So why is it any business of the studio how the retailer chooses to sell it? If they want to price it as a loss leader, who cares? It's only the retailer who is losing money, not the studio (they've already been paid).

It just seems totally irrelevant to me, since the studio gets their money no matter what the price is at the retail level. And how the retailer chooses to run their business should not be any concern of the studio.

This is similar to double coupons at grocery stores. Each store makes a decision about whether or not they will double coupons. The "extra" coupon savings comes from the store, not the manufacturer. Yet you have some manufacturers printing "do not double" on their coupons. What do they care if the store wants to double the coupon? It's not like the manufacturer has to reimburse the coupon at a double amount, they still reimburse face value plus handling as always. The manufacturer has already been paid their asking price for the products, it should be the decision of the individual store as to how they want to re-sell the products and whether or not they'll use additional incentives like "double" coupons.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
was open during the holidays, but yesterday I noticed it's closed up, signs been taken down, etc.
You may have just experience what I like to term the "Target Smoking Hole scenario". I went to a Target that I had been to just two weeks before here in Atlanta, and it literally had been destroyed and there was nothing but a giant hole in the ground. They tore the whole thing down and put in a SuperTarget, but no one seemed to know what happened until they put the new signage up on the store and on the roadside.

SuperTarget rocks.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I've never understood why the studios give a crap about how a retailer prices their product. The retailer has already paid the studio the price they were asking for the product so technically it's not even their product anymore, it belongs to the retailer.

So why is it any business of the studio how the retailer chooses to sell it? If they want to price it as a loss leader, who cares? It's only the retailer who is losing money, not the studio (they've already been paid).

It just seems totally irrelevant to me, since the studio gets their money no matter what the price is at the retail level. And how the retailer chooses to run their business should not be any concern of the studio.
Because as a vendor, you have to deal with all of the accounts and one account who sells below cost hurts sales at all the other accounts. Not only that, but the other accounts you deal with will scream at you for subsidizing the predatory, loss-leader pricing.

I am a sales rep for a music vendor and we have seen several good accounts go out of business because they could not compete against the people who sold things below cost. If they go out of business, it really hurts your total industry sales. And for the accounts that stay afloat it does not bode well for your relationship when you are subsidizing the ads and pricing that is hurting them. It also hurts the perceived value of a product in the marketplace.

That is what MAP is supposed to address. You can price a title at whatever you wish, but I will not pay for you to advertise it. That seems fair to me. Where MAP over-reached was when they tried to forbid ads on titles that they didn't pay for. I believe that was struck down, which now allows the account to pay for things out of their own pocket if they wish to under-cut the price.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
I've never understood why the studios give a crap about how a retailer prices their product.
Jodee's dead on, but there's one more issue the studios have with this practice...

It devalues thier product, forcing them to pre-maturely lower prices and cut into thier profit margin.

Daniel L

Jodee

Screenwriter
Forgot to mention, I am going to buy 24 Hour Party People and Bourne Identity at Best Buy this week. I might also pick up Coupling sight unseen. I am not a big sitcom fan (I do not watch Friends) but I love Sex & the City and British humor so maybe I'll like this?
Will rent Tadpole from Netflix.
I HIGHLY recommend 24 Hour Party People. It is a very entertaining film even if you are not familiar with the Manchester music scene. (Even Ebert & Roeper liked it.)
It is a fictionalized biography of music mogul Tony Wilson, so it has an almost "mockumentary" feel to it.
Plus I think it is the first film that references the DVD release in the film itself! :)

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Hey John, thanks for the update. Maybe I can get over there and see them blow this son of a bitch up.

Here's a question, what the hell is this British show that everyone is raving about? Someone told me that they watch it every week. I didnt even know that they televised British shows. Who knew?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Coupling said:
Most digital cable companies and all of the satellite co's offer BBC America which shows select British programming 24 hours a day. In addition, most public television stations show some British sitcoms (called Britcoms) and other programming.
Coupling airs at 10/9pm on Sunday nights on BBCA

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I called Target in San Diego & they had "The Bourne Identity" for $16.99.

I then called Walmart near Fry's in San Diego & they had "The Bourne Identity" for $14.03 to beat Fry's price. I purchased it there. They had plenty of Widescreen in stock.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Fry's ad does indeed say $14.77 but it also expires today. I got my copies online already but would have saved some $ waiting.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Geeze, Bill! It's just $1 more than the CC & BB "Hot Price" items, and lower than Costco and Sam's Club members-only club prices! Their ad doesn't say "LowEST Price". Just "Low Price". $16.99 qualifies.

I have no reason to defend Target, but no reason to villify them either. Does any else around here? I don't anyone beating up on BB or CC when Target or K-Mart beats their prices by a dollar. It's just one of those "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" things (if you're the retailer in question).

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Hello everyone, just thought I should pass this along, but Walmart has the lowest price (for once) on this DVD at $15.88 (only by $.11) but when the cashier rang it up, it rang for $19.84. I had them correct the price to $15.88 and the sign on the wall says you get $3 off if you point out a correction, so I got the movie for $12.88 + tax. I was so happy and my girlfriend was thrilled because she's the one who shelled out the money for the DVD.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Their ad doesn't say "LowEST Price". Just "Low Price".
You're kidding, right?

If a store advertises that they have the "low price" for a DVD, we should expect to walk into the store and find the low price among the various retailers. The low price. Period. That, David, is not vilification. That's being a smart consumer.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If a store advertises that they have the "low price" for a DVD, we should expect to walk into the store and find the low price among the various retailers. The low price. Period.
Now I think you're the one who's kidding. 10 years of retail management behind me, and I know for a fact that this is not how the retailers think!

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I really don't care if I convince you or not. I'm in way too foul a mood due to work, to debate something like this. Sorry if that's colored my choice of words. Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks