What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Website creation software (1 Viewer)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I bought a domain name and while I'm supposed to use FTP to create the site I can't make heads or tails of it. Can anybody suggest a program that I can download or buy to simplify the process?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Hi Carl, actually, FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, and that is the method you use to upload the pages/content to your web host. You don't use FTP to create the site.

In order to create your site, you need to use an application to create HTML pages. For example, GoLive, Dreamweaver, FrontPage, etc.

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
Notepad works fine for creating a webpage. However, if you want webpage authoring software there are literally zillions to pick from.

Dreamweaver, MS Front Page, etc.

If you want a pretty nice one thats very easy to work with pick up CoolPage (which you can buy and d/l off the net)
:)

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Dreamweaver's nice, gives flexiibility to work with the code or with a simple WYSIWYG mode. Built-in FTP client is nice, too.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'll second Dreamweaver as well. The nice thing about the built in FTP is that you can make a bunch of changes and Dreamweaver will only upload the pages that have been changed (rather than trying to remember which files you changed or uploading the entire site everytime you make a change.) :emoji_thumbsup:

But if you're looking for a stand alone FTP app., go with Ipswitch's WS_FTP Pro :emoji_thumbsup:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I suggest searching the forum. Similar questions have come up in the past. You may find your answeres in previous threads.

Don't use Notepad, it's a mediocre program and not a good choice for web-page creation. There are so many free and decent programs that provide line numbering, keyword highlighting, etc., which make editing easier.

If you need the power, Homesite is excellent for creating, editing, and managing website code.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks