Website creation software

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Carl Johnson, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I bought a domain name and while I'm supposed to use FTP to create the site I can't make heads or tails of it. Can anybody suggest a program that I can download or buy to simplify the process?

2. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Hi Carl, actually, FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, and that is the method you use to upload the pages/content to your web host. You don't use FTP to create the site.

In order to create your site, you need to use an application to create HTML pages. For example, GoLive, Dreamweaver, FrontPage, etc.

3. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

Notepad works fine for creating a webpage. However, if you want webpage authoring software there are literally zillions to pick from.

Dreamweaver, MS Front Page, etc.

If you want a pretty nice one thats very easy to work with pick up CoolPage (which you can buy and d/l off the net)
    [​IMG]

4. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Dreamweaver's nice, gives flexiibility to work with the code or with a simple WYSIWYG mode. Built-in FTP client is nice, too.

5. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

dreamweaver, dreamweaver!

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I'll second Dreamweaver as well. The nice thing about the built in FTP is that you can make a bunch of changes and Dreamweaver will only upload the pages that have been changed (rather than trying to remember which files you changed or uploading the entire site everytime you make a change.) [​IMG]

But if you're looking for a stand alone FTP app., go with Ipswitch's WS_FTP Pro [​IMG]

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I suggest searching the forum. Similar questions have come up in the past. You may find your answeres in previous threads.

Don't use Notepad, it's a mediocre program and not a good choice for web-page creation. There are so many free and decent programs that provide line numbering, keyword highlighting, etc., which make editing easier.

If you need the power, Homesite is excellent for creating, editing, and managing website code.