Recommend a "Website creation" software to me! (FrontPage/Dreamweaver/etc.)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael D. Bunting, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I've always used Microsoft FrontPage for any of my websites.

I have been having a major problem with FP the past few days that will not go away (no matter what I try!) and I have decided to look elsewhere for a new website creation software.

What do you all use and why?

Going to download some trial versions of the ones I have heard about (Dreamweaver) here tonight and give them a try.

Many thanks!

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    try nvu or htmlkit, both free. dreamweaver is great, but expensive. avoid frontpage like the plague it is.

CJ

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

DreamWeaver is the industry standard and for good reason IMO. I use DreamWeaver MX for most of my work though I don't exploit most of its power like our true web developers do. FP is getting better then it once was but its still generating pretty dirty code.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I'm also a heavy user of dreamweaver. One particular feature that I have come to love is the templates, it allows me create navigation bars without resorting to using frames. Aside from that dreaweaver produces surprisenly clean code even when using the wysiwyg part of it and it makes working with css very very easy.

5. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Dreamweaver. Been using it for years.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Dreamweaver here too. Wouldn't normally use it but my boss forced me too [​IMG] I do everything from pure CSS design to building content management systems from scratch and I must admit its handy how DW automatically pops up a dropdown before you complete a common string or CSS element.

I'd rather stick to the more ego-inflating programs like Kwrite on Linux or Edit+/PHPedit but it's hard not to like Dreamweaver [​IMG]

Stay the heck away from Frontpage as mentioned above!

7. SamNavy

SamNavy Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I think you've got the consensus here, Dreamweaver is the way to go... so if you don't mind, I'm gonna hijack a little.
    I would also like a little webdesign software knowledge, but "I'm an idiot! I don't have the vocabulary." I can use the web fairly well, but have no idea how it works. I'd like to build and have hosted a small website for my wife and I (mostly I) to share our hobbies and vacations and "stuff". Is Dreamweaver the way to go for a guy who doesn't even know what HTML stands for? We're talking about pictures of my boat and the coffee table I built and stuff. Could someone also recommend a good (doesn't have to be cheap, but no bullshit and uber reliable is a must) host site. I'm willing to pay for my own domain name and don't want to have any pop-ups or advertising.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    If you don't want to learn how to code yourself Dreamweaver is the way to go. Peronally I like to code but I have had to learn it over the years and it is an ever changing thing. With IE and Mozilla often not working the same from a given web page using Dreamweaver takes the guess work out. I have to keep 4 updated copies of IE, Netscape, Firefox and Opera on my PC just to make sure what looks ok in IE looks good in Firefox, etc. IE is more forgiving of code problems but Firefox is more secure for the end user.