What's new

We lost Steve Tannehill (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Rob Gillespie said:
I think it's been - literally - about a decade since I posted on HTF, but after hearing the news about Steve on Digital Bits it kind of felt the right time to pop back in.

I always liked Steve. He always had something to say and was such a keen supporter of film, formats and the industry in general. His was a name that was doing the rounds right from the very earliest times I can remember on LaserDisc and HT discussion boards.

A sad loss and way too soon. Rest in peace, Steve.

Rob:

Thanks for coming home and sharing your thoughts.

I hope things are well in Middle Earth. Stop by again soon under happier circumstances.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rob Gillespie said:
I think it's been - literally - about a decade since I posted on HTF, but after hearing the news about Steve on Digital Bits it kind of felt the right time to pop back in.

I always liked Steve. He always had something to say and was such a keen supporter of film, formats and the industry in general. His was a name that was doing the rounds right from the very earliest times I can remember on LaserDisc and HT discussion boards.

A sad loss and way too soon. Rest in peace, Steve.
Great to read your comments again, Rob.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. I just saw this. I only knew him from his postings here and his distinctive avatar. It is just terrible to read something like this because, even though I didn't know him personally, it still feels like a loss of someone you "knew" due to a long time association with a group. My belated condolences to his family and friends.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saddened to just learn of Steve's passing. As others have noted he was a true DVD pioneer and an influential presence on this and other forums and web sites during the earliest years of HT on the web and then forward to today.

Will fondly remember him for his helpful posts on that and a slew of other HT and music topics. RIP Steve. :(

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
How unfortunate to learn of his passing. He was, indeed, a truly remarkable person for all that he gave to this wonderful thing of ours that we enjoy so much.

My condolences to his family and all here who knew and appreciated all that he was and gave to us.

R.I.P., Mr. Tannehill. Thanks for everything.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Steve's passing totally flew under my radar until today. :(

Like many Steve was one of my guidling lights during the early DVD days. His presence will be missed. So young too - I know it's all relative - but as someone who is nearing 60, his passing at 50 is far too soon.

His contributions live on in all of us who knew him.

Belated Condolences to him and his family.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
My heart just dropped today, a I always looked forward to reading in the early days, one of the first 3 websites I bookmarked(along with The Bit and HTF) and visited everyday.

The community was so much smaller/closer then, and when we lost the DVD resource it threw me for a loop, but nothing compared to the sadness I feel after hearing this.

RIP Steve

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Oh wow, I have not been on here like forever and now I read of two members' passing - breaks my heart. I loved reading Steve's posts and commentary filled with logic and wisdom, simply makes this thing we call home theater so much fun.

Rest in peace Mr Tannehill - we will see you on the other side.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I've been away for too long, and just found the sad news in this thread.

I was a regular at DVD Resource, and when Steve closed that site, I found my way over here at the HTF. I was fortunate enough to have met Steve in person around 2008 - at the Heart Walk and also to see his home theater setup.

I will miss him...

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
This shows how out of touch I've gotten from the community. Just saw this now and am extremely saddened by it.

"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force." - Yoda

Rest in peace my internet friend.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Woah! I don't frequent this part of HTF and completely missed this before (though I haven't been around much in general so far this year)...

So sad indeed! Like many others, I too came across and greatly enjoyed and benefited from Steve's contributions to the HT community in the early days of DVD thru his former DVD Resource site before joining HTF (both thru his site and the Digital Bits).

He will be missed...

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have been running into Steve's posts all over the forum recently as I've been digging into some old threads.

It's sad--in a way...but also affirming in another. Steve was such a great guy and helpful contributor that it's a blessing that his posts will continue here for a very long time.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
[I also don't frequent this subforum and just noticed the topic when Philip Hamm's post flashed by under recent topics.]

My condolences to Steve's family and friends. He is surely missed.

As Mike said just above, he contributed so much and I still see his name so often that I didn't realize he wasn't actually still here.

TexasDiveMate

Auditioning
Real Name
Kirby
It is with a sad heart that I have found this terrible news about a truly great guy.

Steve and I both started our first post-college jobs about the same time at E-Systems (now Raytheon) in Garland in 1986, where I worked for about 4 years. We were good friends and hung out quite a bit in the good old days. After taking other jobs at other companies and moving to other parts of the metroplex, we lost contact. I was reminded of Steve this last weekend while in Garland running an errand. I drove by the old company (on Jupiter Road) and the old apartments where we had both lived in adjacent complexes almost 30 years ago. I tried calling his cell and the last home number I had for him just to say HI and reconnect, only to find that they had both been disconnected. After searching the web high and low, I found this sad news that let me know what had happened and why his phones were no longer active.

I also salute Steve and his knowledge of theater, film, and electronics. He and I were buds back when CDs were first catching on and replacing vinyl and cassette tapes. I remember many a run to the CD Warehouse on Central Expressway and Walnut Hill, even before CDs were very common. Remember the old cardboard boxes they always came in? He and I were both building our laser disc collections when that was a new technology replacing VHS. I never tried or could keep up with Steve in that department. He always was on top of new releases, mistakes in movies, the latest technologies, as you all know. We both loved the band "Boston"! I remember he had a peculiar habit of finding a movie he liked and watching it dozens of times. "Beetlejuice" was one his favorites back then. I remember he also had a habit that I could never understand very much....he would go to the opening night of the biggest movies (for example, the first "Batman" movie with Michael Keaton - of Beetlejuice fame) and arrive several hours early to ensure his place at the front of the line. He had to be in the exact center seat from left to right of the theater. I remember seeing him in the theater when I took my daughter to see the same episode of "Batman", only she and I arrived in time to get a couple of the last pairs of open seats together. He was there in the very middle and told me he had been there for a few hours waiting in the line. He also was in part responsible for my hobbies as I began collecting CDs and laser discs. Sometimes we would go on shopping sprees together. I sure miss the old "Sound Warehouse"!

I sadly lost touch with Steve long before DVDs became the rage, never mind Blu-Ray. I can only imagine the depth and breath of his knowledge of those technologies, not to mention home theater. He was passionate about his media!

I wish I had stayed better in contact with a good old friend. He was a great friend indeed, who always had a funny thing to say about something. He could always make me laugh. Steve will be greatly missed. It makes me happy to read this thread and see what kind of impact he had on so many people. He was an amazing guy.

R.I.P. Steve Tannehill. Two of the three amigos are now at eternal rest. May God bless your soul, and may He comfort your family and friends. So sorry to find out this tragic news so late.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks