What's new

"We Built This City" named worst...song...ever... (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Yahoo! News

Blender Magazine has rated the Starship corporate rock "anti-corporate" rock song as the worst song ever in their best (worst) 50. Other tunes included The Doors' The End, Aqua's Barbie Girl, and Right Said Fred's I'm Too Sexy. Oddly enough they also included Simon & Garfunkel's The Sound Of Silence, citing:

Amen. The full list will be published later this month and will be coincide with a VH1 special.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I happened to catch the story on a news channel...that's the important thing to blender magazine. Piss some people off and sell a lot of copies.
Sure they suck but 9/10 of most music sucks
At least they moved to LA and put it in the video.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I've never read Blender, but this ruling makes me want to. "We Built This City" came out at the beginning of my senior year in high school, and I remember hating it then.

It's only become more grating in the intervening years.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I listened to Built this City once in its entirety. I make it a point of turning the channel if it comes on.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, of course it's just about selling magazines. So are all magazines. You're not going to find the highest journalistic integrity on glossy pages with paper ads that fall out.

The End and Sound of Silence are kinda stupid, but that's part of their charm, and rock critic snobs don't seem to enjoy that sort of thing.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Hard for me to think "The End" and "Sound of Silence" are "worst" for pete sake, you've got garbage out their like "Hey Mickey" and "Whoomp there it is!" basically, it's about ticking people off..

"They are coming to take me away ha-ha/
They are coming to take me away ho-ho/
hee-hee/
ha-ha/
to the funny farm/
where I'll be happy all the time/"

Yeah.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
As much as I hate WE BUILT THIS CITY it's not even a finalist for worst song on my list. My finalists are like: J.Frank Wilson's LAST KISS, Tiny Tim's TIPTOE THROUGH THE TULIPS, and any song Tiffany ever did______________.

James_S

Second Unit
Here is the bottom 10 -

1. We Built This City Starship 1985
2. Achy Breaky Heart Billy Ray Cyrus 1992
3. Everybody Have Fun Tonight Wang Chung 1986
4. Rollin' Limpbizkit 2000
5. Ice Ice Baby Vanilla Ice 1990
6. The Heart of Rock & Roll Huey Lewis & The News 1984
7. Don't Worry, Be Happy Bobby McFerrin 1988
8. Party All the Time Eddie Murphy 1985
9. American Life Madonna 2003
10. Ebony and Ivory Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder 1982

James_Welch

Agent
Great. Now I'll have "WE BUILT THIS CITY" playing over and over in my head all day. It's almost as bad as getting the Mazda Zoom Zoom song in your head.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Some of what is on the list makes sense to me. A song needs to be popular to be worst in the sense of being a song that most people heard and quickly became annoying or was pretentious or whatever.

A list of 10 songs sung by me would easily be worst than that list, but its not the same.

HOWEVER, no Macarena!!! No freaking way that Everybody Have Fun Tonight, Heart of Rock N Roll, Don't Worry Be Happy, or Ebony and Ivory are worse than that song.

Sounds of Silence is an outstanding song, as is The End, which is exactly why they were so effectively used in Graduate and Apoc Now. Just thinking of those films conjures the songs in your head.

And Huey Lewis and the News had worse songs than Heart of Rock N Roll that were hits, let alone the songs of other groups.

How about some Milli Vanilli and their TALK singing. Forget the lip synch thing, the songs were bad no matter what. That's what bugged me the most about the Grammy wins, the music itself was wretched.

I sort of like Built This City and Party All the Time, but I get it.

But if Party All the Time is on the list, where in the hell is Don Johnson's Heartbeat?? Or what about that Bruce Willis "blues" song that was a popular video at one point? Those were in the mainstream at some point and certainly stunk.

And if Achy Breaky and Ice Ice are on the list (and should be) then let's get Who Let the Dogs Out on there too. Whoomp There It Is was at least one of the early popular songs with that Atlanta Dance Club sound featured, while Dogs is not danceable, horribly repetitive and features men woofing like dogs over and over. It gets tired very quickly.

I also agree with Tiptoe through the Tulips. Man can that get on your nerves in a hurry.

Really, shouldn't the list be dominated by novelty songs anyway. They tend to be all hook and gimmick with little quality.

Speaking of that we have no Pac-Man Fever or Convoy? The answer is to make the list makers listen to all these songs they DIDN'T list for a few weeks and then offer to swap them out of the rotation for the ones they did name. THEN we'd get a more accurate list. :)

"Please, give me Sounds of Silence, I can take any more Shaun Cassidy". :laugh:

Oooh, and the Brady Bunch song "Time to Change". I wish them to be stuck in an elevator with that on an endless loop. ;)

Oh, okay???? But Barbie Girl is on?

And holy shit I just saw that Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is on the list. Not only is it Beatles, not only is it not one of the worst, it happens to be one of the best and most fun party songs ever. Hell, I see bands cover it all the time and the crowds go nuts for it, including No Doubt a few years ago.

Now they have me really pissed. Mission accomplished.

Hey, I have an ugliest mom's list. I named all their mothers. I hope they don't get angry. ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
PS - After seeing some of the stuff they did put on I will neither buy the mag nor watch the show. It they had been reasonable I might have had interest in their opinion, but now its totally void.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Thank God! :) Dont worry be happy is on the list! Yeah! I hate that fuckin song!!! :angry:

Now they can take the Doors, Simon and Garfunkel, Huey Lewis and shove them up their ass! God I hate music critics. And even though I dont care for Limp Biskit; they do have a few good songs; including Rollin. It is damn catchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks