What's new

"We Built This City" named worst...song...ever... (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Why would you have cared about their opinion in the first place?

I'm convinced that no matter how much we say that we don't like critics or care about their opinions and to hell with this magazine or show, there's this natural desire to trust something that looks "official" like publication or broadcast. It's recognising this that is the first step to truly freeing yourself from giving a shit. ;)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
More bad songs that deserve the title:

Charlene - I've Never Been To Me
Laura Branigan - Gloria

- I Think We're Alone Now
- I Saw Him Standing There

Kylie Minogue - The Locomotion
Samantha Fox - Touch Me
John Travolta - Let Her In

AricB

Second Unit
Duuuudde!!! Samantha Fox, she's off the list on sheer hottness alone, not to mention she's been in Playboy which basically disqualifies her from being able to be criticized for such an abomination as her song, I mean what did you expect? :D

And Phil Collins, I mean it aint great, but definitely not in the 50 worst.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Yuck, puke, flam, goooo! It just struck me, why isn't YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE by Debbie Boone #1 worst song ever? It totally is!

AricB

Second Unit
Allright, I guess you got a point, but there is plenty o' stuff as bad if not worse, debbie gibson, NKOTB for gods sake! the Jets, damn near every other song on top 40 radio in the late 80's has an equally high cheese factor.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Some things go without saying! :) KFRC in S.F. swore in about 1980 or so to never, ever, play that song again. There was another sappy song by Maureen McGovern (?) at about the same time that can't be played on airplanes. Makes the barf bags drop.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Everybody sing along with me!

Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
Nobody's gonna slow me down. Oh no!
I got to keep on moooovin'

Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground, oh no
I got to keep on moooovin'

Any list without Matthew Wilder in the top five is worthless.

Brad

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I love the music, but always thought the lyrics for Macarthurs Park Suite by Donna Summer was pretty bad...

All that crap about baking a cake and leaving it in the rain...what kind of idiot does that? And the recipe? Where the f' did it go?

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
OK, I'll stick up for "Blender." Despite the fact that it's a magazine from the company that "Maxim" built, and despite the fact that there's often a scantily-clad female on the cover, there really is some substance in the magazine.

Though the cover story is usually devoted to a record company-manufactured flavor-of-the-month, the majority of the articles focus on veterans of the music industry, up-and-comers, or artists on the fringe, and all of the articles are well-written and -researched. Though their record reviews are typically a few paragraphs long, they do cover a wide spectrum of genres and musicians, ranging from the most popular artists to indie bands that I'm sure even most devoted music fans wouldn't recognize. And I do like their fold-out section devoted entirely to reviews of an artist's body of work (Elvis Costello, The Beach Boys Fleetwood Mac, etc.).

Really, "Blender" and the UK mag "Uncut" (along with the occasional issue of "Mojo") are the only music magazines I read on a regular basis.

And by the way, "Blender" does lists like this all the time.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
It's difficult to rate worst songs of all-time, it's easier to do it by decade. As a bad-music aficionado I think there were a lot of truly awful songs in the 70s, but a lot of recent songs may overtake them in time.
I'm lucky enough to have not heard the Limp Bizkit or Madonna songs on that list.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

You say that now, but take a listen to Eric Cartman's stirring rendition and then just TRY to say it's a terrible song!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
man, that just ain't right. i love that song ... seriously!

ducks...

this thread had me crackin' up. i like most of the songs people listed. c'mon ... "macarther park" ... i get tears just thinking about that damn cake....

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I can think of three songs from 1974 that would be on my list -- Billy Don't Be a Hero, The Day Chicago Died, and Hooked On a Feeling. This was one of the worst years, IMO, for pop/rock music.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Don't forget Seasons in the Sun (1974).

I always thought Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now was a worse Starship song than We Built This City.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Oops, I actually like some of the songs in the "bottom 10" :b what's one to do, a child of the 80s?

Just to chime in, I absolutely, positively, detest/hate/loathe that "Milkshake" song that seems to be quite popular right now. It's one of the few that makes me switch stations ASAP when it comes on -- most other disliked songs are either tolerated, or I'll take my time in changing, but this one gets "zapped" immediately.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I actually like this number (I already saw someone hating on it :)

But McFerrin had a much better career after this "one hit wonder" with lots of really quality classical work.

That having been said.. yeah, man, I'd nominate almost anything by "Air Supply" to be on the list

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Agh, the milkshake song! Scientifically designed to be the most irritating sound ever!
The only thing good about it as that the singer is very very cute. Watch the videos on mute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks