What's new

WB: what other films are "family oriented"?? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
So what else do we get to clinch our buttcheeks for, waiting for the inevitable "family pan and scan" version??
Iron Giant SE?
Harry Potter?
I just pray that WB doesn't suddenly decide Blade Runner SE and Goodfellas SE are family oriented films!
------------------
webmaster davisdvd.com
International Exclusives

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Here's an incomplete list of WB family titles not yet available on DVD that we can expect in full frame (whether open-matte or pan-and-scan):
Gay Purr-ee
The Incredible Mr. Limpet
The Phantom Tollbooth
Watership Down (which, although animated, isn't really a family title (it's a bit too violent to be a family title), though WB will probably mis-market it as one)
The Nutcracker Prince
Rover Dangerfield
Free Willy (all 3 films)
Tom and Jerry: The Movie
Dennis the Menace
Little Giants
Cats Don't Dance
Any more?
[Edited last by Jeffrey Gray on August 19, 2001 at 12:10 AM]
[Edited last by Jeffrey Gray on August 19, 2001 at 07:07 PM]

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
All I can say is, if Warner releases a Special Edition of The Iron Giant in Pan & Scan, I am absolutely going to treasure the widescreen version I own right now. Not that I don't already, but it will probably mean more for me to have that amazing movie the way it should be watched.
------------------
-J.Fo
Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yeah...Blade Runner and GoodFellas are in near danger of being pan & scanned (for BR) and fullscreened (for GoodFellas) given that they're rated R.
I guess that's why South Park is in children's video sections in rental outlets.
biggrin.gif

We only need to be concerned with G/PG family titles because WB obviously does this with family movies most of the time.
I'd like to add that Cats Don't Dance was filmed HARD-MATTED, so a fullscreen transfer would be real pan & scan.
Just say no to cropping. Say yes to matting.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
ah man,
I was looking foward in getting Dennis the Menace 16x9
frown.gif

------------------

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Given how effective WB's market research seems to be. I am awaiting the results of their survey on what the consumer thinks is a family movie and what they do not.
Might be interesting to see if J6P down at the local Wal Mart thinks Goodfellas is a good family movie - or he even knows what Goodfellas is!!
Don
------------------

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Hey, don't worry just about "family" titles. Just wait till WB does some more highly scientific surveys and determines that most of their customers prefer P&S for all DVD titles. See ya later, widescreen.
furious.gif

------------------

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There may come a time when WB does a survey of it's customers and finds 100% prefer p&s on all titles. And it'll be true, because the hundreds of thousands of people who prefer OAR will no longer be WB customers, and those left will all be p&s preferers. Of course, the WB execs will still be baffled at how they're now selling less product than before when fewer people owned dvd players.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Back when Pokemon was the biggest thing going, Warner decided, and did, release the 1st Pokemon movie in P&S. The 2nd movie, and the newly released 3rd were done in the same way. This might be one of the reasons why Warner thinks that all the "family films" should be done that way.
I wonder just how many of those DVD's were sold anyways......hmmmmmmm
rolleyes.gif

Just a thought...
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Hope none of you liked "Osmosis Jones" because it seems to me that's next to get the chop-and-crop treatment....and it's a 2.35:1 film, so close to 50%...GONE. WB is suck.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I think Osmosis Jones (and Iron Giant, and Neverending Story) are safe. WB has never released a pan-and-scan-only DVD of a 2.35:1 Panavision film, and they probably won't any time soon.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I think they may also have The Boy Who Could Fly in their catalog, a film which I would buy if, and only if, it were released in OAR.
Brad

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
quote: WB has never released a pan-and-scan-only DVD of a 2.35:1 Panavision film, and they probably won't any time soon. [/quote]
Yeah, but there'a always that first time for everything!
If you had told me a month ago that WB would dump any 16x9 transfer from a SE (let alone WONKA -- which took some time and energy to put together), I would have said you were nuts.
------------------
webmaster davisdvd.com
International Exclusives
[Edited last by Patrick Mirza on August 20, 2001 at 02:56 AM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
How anyone can trust WB to do the right thing by Iron Giant and Neverending Story just because they're 2.35:1 is beyond me. We had explicit promises from them that they would issue Friends and South Park in season sets, not this Best Of crap, and they reneged on that completely. Their word is not as good as that of Hitler at the Munich Conference, IMHO. "It's just a piece of paper!"
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I think Osmosis Jones (and Iron Giant, and Neverending Story) are safe. WB has never released a pan-and-scan-only DVD of a 2.35:1 Panavision film, and they probably won't any time soon.
Did you know that WARNER'S Family Entertainment divison WANTED to release The Goonies in P&S only?
Richard Donner saved it from being releasd in P&S.
I don't think the director of The Iron Giant has as much clout to save his film.
Be afraid, be very afraid!
------------------
LuvLBX

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
OK, I was remembering it a bit more explicitly than was the case. Re: Friends, here is the 1/16/01 Digital Bits comment related to the "Best of" issue:
So we're going to get back to work. But before we do, we've received an update from Warner Bros on the e-mail campaign about the studio's TV series DVD product. Warner has received more than 700 e-mails from you - almost all polite and professional - and the overwhelming consensus seems to be that you want your TV product (including Friends) released on DVD in complete, season by season chunks (none of this lame "best of" stuff). Warner is rather surprised at this response, and assures me that they're taking your input very seriously. In fact, I think the words they used were, "To say their responses will be taken into consideration is a gross underestimation!" So well done to all of you! Keep those e-mails to Warner coming at: [email protected]
But their "taking into consideration" is highly misleading in light of the fact that they clearly dismissed these comments altogether. We have no evidence that they did anything but toss these emails directly into the recycle bin.
My point remains that Warner is by no means to be trusted to do the right thing.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just thought of this..what about Innerspace??
Wouldn't W.B. consider this 'family orinated'?
Now if they do decided to P&S this, it would be quite interesting since the laserdiscs and I think even the video was Letterbox, and at the begining it stated how important widescreen was in presenting this movie!!!
Also, wouldn't it be agreat time to release Innerspace on DVD, when they release Osmosis Jones???
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on August 23, 2001 at 01:10 AM]

Will K

Screenwriter
I noticed the other day that Purple Rain is pan and scam. Hmmmm...must be a family film. Sounds like one. The kids loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks