What's new

Way too funy... "Dude I'm getting a Mac!" (1 Viewer)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Then you haven't been around any designers, musicians, film makers, architects, or writers.
What does that mean?? I have many clients who are architectural designers, and none of them use Mac's? I simply haven't seen many Mac's in my years, regardless of what that person does for a living.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
If I'm being defensive, it's because it's just offensive when people call the Mac a "retro kitch piece of hardware." Forgive Apple if they know how to design hardware rather than throw together another beige box.
Well there was a smiley up there originally.
Shoot me, but I think it looks ugly and it shows the dirt worse than most. I have nothing against the 'beige' box because it sits beneath my desk and I never have to look at it.
I can put whatever hardware I want in it. I can choose the most up-to-date GFX card so that I can run the latest games, and I have a very wide, very inexpensive range of hardware add-ons available.
The thing is, why should I pay more just so it looks stylish today, but out of date tomorrow? It's the inside of a computer that matters not the outside - might just as well buy your DVDs or books based on their cover art. Yep, the iMac has some monster hardware but it's certainly no cheaper or easier to use than the PC version.
Just my feeling...The point of my statement was that it would take more than stylish looks, etc. to change a 'die-hard' PC user into a Mac user.:D

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Wow! They managed to marry the two most annoying commercial campaigns of the last year into a semi-amusing annoying commercial.

If I were the Mac execs, I would borrow some money, get a lawyer and sue for being associated with that Dell pest.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow! They managed to marry the two most annoying commercial campaigns of the last year into a semi- amusing annoying commercial.
Yup.

No musician who wants to be taken seriously uses a PC. Only hobbyists who want to jury-rig game machines (that would be me). Also, multimedia and graphic design people who don't wnat endless frustration use Macs and for good reason. (of course PCs also)

Macs are cool. PCs are cool too. Macs are cooler though.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Since the famous "1984" commercial, Macs are all about marketing and they have relied heavily on their niche supporters to keep their product alive.

You can speak all you want about Microsoft having a software monopoly, but Macintosh has the hardware monopoly, I don't think anyone can convincingly argue against this fact. That is truly my only problem with Macs, well, that and the Mac users who profess the exaggerated reliability and superiority of their chosen computing platform. If I were to listen to all the marketing and the Mac zealots, I would purchase a Mac expecting to be able to change the orbit of the Earth and paint the sky any color I wished.

It is very much like a cult with some, and just like a cult I can tolerate it as long as it is not pushed on me.

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned:

Apple ][
Mac 512k
Mac Plus
Mac 660av
Mac 800

I currently own a Dell 1.7Ghz Wintel Box (still running 98 as I can't stand ME/2000/XP).

For those thinking about switching to MAC, be aware that most DVD PC content will not run on a Mac. Many online java applets will not run on Macs (which is inexcusable since java was created to be platform independent), and many of the most popular games still take forever to come out for mac, if at all. However, you will get an incredibly stable, very intuitive operating system and the best industrial design in computing.

Steve
(who wishes he could win the lotto so he can quit, and go back to Mac, among other things...)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I suppose I should mention I like Macs for what they can do, it's just they've never suited me. If I was in the desktop publishing or computer art world I'd likely be a mac user.

But alas where I work we run on Linux, which means I don't have to constantly be figuring out why this or that computer crashed (the bane of small offices without a full time support staff)

Brian

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a fan of the Mac in that there is minimal software support for them with a lot of games. Pretty hard to beat for prepress and graphic design work though.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If I want to run the most stable OS available, I'll run Linux. OSX STILL crashes, and has most of the problems that people accuse XP of having. It's easy to make an OS stable when you have a VERY small number of hardware configs to deal with.

My X-Box has yet to crash, because *gasp*, it has _1_ hardware configuration!

Frankly, Windows is amazing it works as well as it does, and MS has done a great job trying to get everyone on 1 set of standards.

However, they are still evil and monopolistic, but hate them for that.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Depends on what sort of musician you are, Philip.
Oops! I meant that anyone who does professional level computer based music recording uses a Mac. PCs are not taken seriously as serious music machines. I suppose there is a Windows version of ProTools but I doubt that it sells very well. I use my PC for light duty home recording and MIDI but it's anything but serious. :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Heh heh, Philip, I knew that's what you meant. :)
To be fair, my friend's Roland VS1880 is one of the best musical uses of about £1000 you could care to make. His CD is one of the best sounding I've heard in a while and it never went within spitting distance of a PC or a Mac!!:D

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
"No musician who wants to be taken seriously uses a PC. Only hobbyists who want to jury-rig game machines (that would be me). Also, multimedia and graphic design people who don't wnat endless frustration use Macs and for good reason. (of course PCs also)"

Not true. I am indeed I DJ. I have been on tour with many well known DJ's and remix artist when I was really into spinnin. I will tell you that My PC did one hell of a job running all my equipment at that time. Also I know of quite a few local bands in my area that use PC. Everyone from Rap groups to metal bands. Also my full time I am a 3d modeler. And I can tell you that 3d design work as far as modeling, animation, and texturing is done on a pc. Macs in the graphic world are mainly desktop publishing and photoshop machines.

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think a DJ job demands quite the level of power that professional musicians use. The local bands, if they were indeed serious about digital editing and had the funding should step up to a Mac. I've got a friend who has aspirations of becoming a known artist, and is also friends with bands such as Injected, is currently forced to use a PC. However, w/o any suggestion by me he longs for a Mac to use for his audio editing instead. He says from personal experiences he's had that the Mac blows the PC out of the water. I'd say it's also notable that he used to be a pretty firm "Macs Suck" person before he got serious about his music.

Did anyone realize that the Dell parody commerical was made by a guy who runs a pro-Mac site?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
In the recording industry, especially among electronic musicians, it's pretty much accepted that the Mac is the platform of choice. Same with the graphic design industry.

Didn't Apple recently buy the people who make Logic, one of the best sequencer/recording packages?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Any chance we can merge the Mac love/hate threads? :)
You can speak all you want about Microsoft having a software monopoly, but Macintosh has the hardware monopoly
All monopolies are not equal. And more important, not all monopolies are illegal.
//Ken

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I don't hate Macs, I don't hate PCs - I hate the people who think theirs is the superior platform and everyone who uses the other is inferior. Just use what you prefer and shut up.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I have used both PCs and Macs; I would like to get a Power Macintosh G4 for my Design work (I use Photoshop extensively). The quality output of Photoshop on my PC is a little short of the quality that's available on a Mac G4. For my design work? I'd definitely go with a Mac G4 if I had the cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks