Way too funy... "Dude I'm getting a Mac!"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kleinke, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I haven't seen this so I dunno if its been posted here before, but its uber funny! (for the record I'm a die hard PC user....)
    http://www.macboy.com/switch/

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Cute. Hope Pixar doesn't come along and squash him, though... [​IMG]

3. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Out of curiosity, what's a die-hard PC user?

4. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

OSX is great. [​IMG]
    And I understand the term PC, but I was just curious what a die-hard PC user is. It's sort of like saying you're a die-hard VHS or CD user. "Die hard" is usually reserved for the underdog, no?

6. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Amusing. Not that funny.

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Amusing but Mac OS still crash so I never understand why they always make that reference. [​IMG]
    KyleS

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

hahah... quagmire

10. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I've been involved in the computer industry for several years, and I have only seen a few Macs in those years. I'd never run one myself, and don't know anyone right now who does either.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Pretty funny [​IMG] (and I don't even use Macs)

12. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

and the hating of macs continues...

13. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

14. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

15. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

16. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

If I'm being defensive, it's because it's just offensive when people call the Mac a "retro kitch piece of hardware." Forgive Apple if they know how to design hardware rather than throw together another beige box.

I suppose you have to define "computer industry." I'm a partner in an interactive development firm. I have a Mac. Does that put me in the computer industry, or does my programmer friend who uses OSX qualify? Or do you have to be physically soldering motherboards to be in the computer industry? Are graphic designers who design websites and Flash applications on Macs in the computer industry?

If you haven't used OSX on a new Mac, you really owe it to yourself to try it. I can use a PC better than most people can - I even troubleshoot my friend's PCs all the time. I have even built PCs. I know them inside and out, and I would choose a Mac any day.

I look at it this way, and please don't take offense: both the Honda and BMW are cars. Both can get you places. The BMW is more expensive, and it's just a pleasure to drive. If you have to have a Honda because of costs, availability of parts, and what-not, that's perfectly understandable. They're good cars.

17. Jerry St.Marie

I've serviced computers for over 30 years, everything from PCs to watercooled mainframes and I own a MAC. When IBM came out with the PC it was actually a small business computer not really designed to be user friendly, and as far as I'm concerned it still isn't. The MAC is a joy to use.

18. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

19. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I don't think anyone hates Macs, some people are a little oversensitive IMO. The only computer company I know of that garners true *hatred* is Microsoft.
    Me? I write software for a living. My stuff runs on Windows 2000 servers. I hate Microsoft and their business practices (which I think have held back the consumer computer industry not helped it) and I don't like their crappy user interface... before I got into the software biz I used Macs at work and much prefer their UI.
    However the NT/2000 OSes are not too bad and M$ have produced some reasonably good development tools, besides I have no control over OS choice at work. M$ are run by very smart business men and have leveraged their initial advantage very well, but it would be a mistake to think that they are where they are now by always having a better product.
    Technically the Mac OS has not been very good (not that Windows has been cutting edge) but come on, no pre-emptive multi-tasking? no protected memory? Hello! these concepts have been around for decades and were even present in that steaming pile of s**t known as Windows 95.
    OSX of course is a different issue. A nice UI on top of a real OS. I might just buy me a Mac to play with it [​IMG]
    The best (from an-end user point of view) OS that I have ever used was BeOS (Be, Inc. was started by an ex-Apple employee.) Apple *almost* bought BeOS to be the next generation Mac OS, but then they re-hired Steve Jobs, so they went with NeXT instead and ended up with OSX. OSX is good, but OSX based on BeOS would have been even better IMO.

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    the SO and I have been seriously tempted to buy the new iMac for our new place, even though we've both been using PCs for years and have never used Macs. my only reservation is that in future, new games might take longer, if ever, to appear on Mac formats, e.g. Master of Orion 3, if and when it ever comes out.

I have to say the iMac is an incredibly cool piece of equipment. what's wrong with equipment that does it's job, and looks good to boot?

but in the end, financial constraints mean it's more sensible to just keep my existing Pentium II 450, which does the job adequately (all we do is crunch words), rather than splurge on a new computer (regardless of whether it's a PC or iMac).